Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-11-28 04:58:37

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Re: QM- the Big Bang

Peter wrote:

Taking vacation to play the game? That's some serious dedication :D
Glad you are enjoying it so far!

I still have some vacation days left, and considering the lack of free time I have during the week, this is the best possibitlity to make a little progress, at least in the beginning. Like Dark Souls, this is a game that will keep me occupied for at least a few months, because I only have time to play at the weekends. And I was really looking forward to it. :)

I think FF7 is the only game in the series I have even seen. Is combat still similar to that, surrounded by tons and tons of dialogue?

The FF games are very story-driven, so yes, there is a lot of dialogues and cutscenes, but the combat system actually changes in every game. Since FF12, the combat goes to a faster, more action-oriented style. I actually liked the old styles they used until FF10, but I got used to every system so far.

And IMO, FF6 - 10 were masterpieces in terms of storytelling, soundtrack and visualisation. I actually had more feelings for the characters here than I have in a lot of books I have read or movies I have watched. Of course the japanese storytelling and design is not everyone's cup of tea, but I immediately fell in love with those games.

... and before I start to fangirl too much over them, I should stop now (or move it to the games thread). :D I can't say that much about FF15 so far, because I am still standing in the beginning of the game, but it looks very promising.

#52 2016-11-28 05:04:39

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

In other news I've decided to allow myself a weekend of bliss nothingness... Playing skyrim... Killed three dragons yesterday!!!!

FUS RO DAH!!!

#53 2016-11-28 05:17:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

Also, I think my brain might currently be particularly prone to blowing things out of proportion and then worrying a lot about about them. Between this and how worried I was about going to church last week...

It seems your brain is human. Not a pleasant thing to have, but it seems to be a common condition :D .

I really, really hope you can get this Meisterarbeit off your chest soon, so you can enjoy the more pleasant aspects of life.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#54 2016-11-28 05:26:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Huh, I still have 6 days of vacation time left this year. (And that is besides the three days after Christmas that I've already planned to take off.) Good thing you can carry them over to the new year.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#55 2016-11-28 05:39:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Dentist appointment was harmless, as expected. Well, mostly harmless, poking around in inflamed gums isn't super fun.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#56 2016-11-28 07:52:55

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Bought the missing ingredients to properly cook green things, but when I got home I was so hungry that I couldn't wait for another 40 minutes, so I made something else :/

#57 2016-11-28 08:06:07

Merenwen
Pilgrim

So you made something fast and unhealthy instead? :)

Glad your dentist appointment was harmless, though. This is never fun.

#58 2016-11-28 08:14:31

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Pesky green things taking too long to cook. I totally feel you. When I make an apple pie it takes about 40 minutes too. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, but then I pour the custard sauce on top of it and I have no more doubts.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#59 2016-11-28 09:55:11

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I feel slightly better now. Got an answer to one of my emails, and apparently it wouldn't be a problem if I just watch everybody else's presentations and don't give one myself. (I wouldn't feel good about it, because it would feel like laziness and cheating, but it's an option.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#60 2016-11-28 10:00:38

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And speaking of green things, I'm proud of myself for cooking the rest of my cabbage before it goes bad. I've been really bad at using the things in my fridge lately, and threw out a lot on Saturday. And even more a few days before that - those were the worst things, but on Saturday I found even more. And then realised that the fridge was even more disgusting than I thought. Possibly more disgusting than when I got the apartment and cleaned it for the first time and there was a mouldy sausage in it.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#61 2016-11-28 10:48:58

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I found a couple of rotting potatoes in my cupboard the other day, so you're not alone. Seriously, they were liquefying... Fortunately those potatoes were in a plastic box, so everything else in there survived.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#62 2016-11-28 10:59:53

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Rotting potatoes always smell sooo bad.

And yeah. That bag of carrots I threw out earlier last week was liquefying as well. And apparently it had dripped all over the fridge.

- Tad

#63 2016-11-28 12:24:11

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ooh, icky!

Mostly I buy veggies every day and eat them straight away. But then I have a bunch of tomatoes that I never harvested and still have to clean out...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#64 2016-11-28 12:30:53

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Just looked up what my secondary benefits are, because I probably have some bonuses coming up (new employee due to me, and five year anniversary) and all I knew was that my old company was more generous than the new one is. And I'm in luck both of those are explicitly stated in the paperwork. (No other anniversary except that specific one too!) So unless they get themselves sorted out before the first of February... (They still don't have a new contract for me to sign.)

Scrollbearer

#65 2016-11-28 14:40:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Hope you can get that sorted, Sahi.

Are you considering looking for something else?

#66 2016-11-28 14:44:39

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

And I am once more the world record holder for Starcraft II - Wings of Liberty, Normal, Single Segment, Any%

The new time is 2:03:11, beating my old time by 6 minutes and 20 seconds and the current world record by 5 minutes and 49 seconds.

Nope, this won't help me in life, it's not relevant in absolutely any way, but I'm happy and satisfied nevertheless :)

For now it can be seen here (not that I truly recommend watching it, unless anyone plays Starcraft), Youtube version needs some work.
https://www.twitch.tv/mad_one/v/103965284

Last edited by Peter (2016-11-28 14:45:47)

#67 2016-11-28 15:32:45

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Good job, Peter!

I fought with my Christmas tree today...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#68 2016-11-28 16:59:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It looks depressed, all the light gone out of it.

#69 2016-11-28 17:13:08

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Merenwen wrote:

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

In other news I've decided to allow myself a weekend of bliss nothingness... Playing skyrim... Killed three dragons yesterday!!!!

FUS RO DAH!!!

YES!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#70 2016-11-28 17:18:47

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*drags self into mint

That's it... This year for my birthday I want a new body... Finally (almost) got rid of the thing under my arm... Now a bit (private) of me is being strangled by a hair... or has an ingrown hair... Can't see... Can't do anything about it... can't sit properly, going to the toilet is misery... It so hurts I just want to cry... And GP doesn't have any appointments open until Monday.... I'm so fed up with this... Can I just have a month of no medical problems, please???

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#71 2016-11-28 17:56:14

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*phew* Tree has officially been decorated! The lights blowing this year was actually good timing. When I went to the store earlier today to pick up another timer and extension cord, I noticed a giant, 300 LED bulb set was marked at 60% off. So I was able to go back later today and grab that, and it turns out 300 bulbs is just enough to go around the tree from top to bottom! Woohoo! Of course, I'm a bit dizzy now... :P

And: *more hugs for Libra* Can't catch a break :( Do you guys have urgent care places like we do? Is something like that an option for you?

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#72 2016-11-28 23:54:13

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs Libra* I'm going to make an appointment with my GP in a bit as well. My ankle is definitely hurting more today. Still not too bad, but it should be getting better by now, not worse!

Scrollbearer

#73 2016-11-28 23:57:33

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*throws gold jellybeans at Libra and Sahi*

- Tad

#74 2016-11-29 00:52:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I hope everyone can get their health issues fixed quickly :/ .

#75 2016-11-29 01:58:23

Sahi
Mantis
Website

There, I've just made an appointment for early Friday morning. Which will probably mean it will all heal miraculously before then...

Scrollbearer

Board footer