Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-11-27 05:53:25

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM- the Big Bang

At some point, I need to get off the couch and do something useful, but I don't want to...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#27 2016-11-27 06:33:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

That sounds like an adventure you could have done without, Libra :/
At least you know how to fix it in the future.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#28 2016-11-27 07:15:11

Magpie
Mantis
Website

dragged myself out of the house to feed my mother's cat.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#29 2016-11-27 07:23:46

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Peter wrote:

That sounds like an adventure you could have done without, Libra :/
At least you know how to fix it in the future.

Yeah.. C's dad already told us to get a massive amount of those fuses!!!

In other news I've decided to allow myself a weekend of bliss nothingness... Playing skyrim... Killed three dragons yesterday!!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#30 2016-11-27 07:36:09

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Have fun, Libra :)
I assume you are playing it on console?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#31 2016-11-27 08:14:48

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Making more pizza dough, because I still have tomato sauce and cheese left...

- Tad

#32 2016-11-27 08:18:00

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Peter wrote:

Have fun, Libra :)
I assume you are playing it on console?

Yeah PS3.... I'm saving every two seconds right now....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#33 2016-11-27 09:45:04

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Finally convinced myself to do some cleaning things...

- Tad

#34 2016-11-27 12:32:38

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I hate how I blink and a hour has passed and I haven't done anything...

- Tad

#35 2016-11-27 14:58:07

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I only managed to do a fraction of the things I had planned to do today.

And I’m still not making much progress with my Meisterarbeit, and I’m supposed to present the mostly-finished thing to the class in two weeks, and I CAN’T.

One of the things I had planned and didn’t do today was email my advisor and the woman who coordinates this whole mess of a program…

And how much do I tell them? Do I just say, I’m sorry, I was ill and couldn’t work on it as much as I should have? Do I tell them it’s been mental health issues that slowed me down? (Well, my advisor already knows some of it.) Do I tell them I spent days just bursting into tears whenever I thought about it? Do I tell them I still fight shaky hands and nausea and a tight chest and “I can’t I can’t I can’t” whenever I try to work on it?

Do I even show up the day we’re all supposed to present what we have written so far? Do I pretend to be sick? Will they believe me if I tell them how much I’m struggling? Or will they guess I’m faking? Will it harm my grade if I do?

Should have discussed that with my therapist on Thursday, but I had more urgent things on my mind that day. And if I wait until my next session, that’ll give me even less time to write those emails…

Argh.

I hate everything today.

- Tad

#36 2016-11-27 15:30:07

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Magpie*

#37 2016-11-27 23:11:27

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I just want to crawl in a hole and never come out.

- Tad

#38 2016-11-27 23:24:02

Olaf
Mantis
Website

*hugs Magpie too*

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#39 2016-11-28 00:12:05

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*piles on hugs*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#40 2016-11-28 01:32:38

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

Well, I guess we could plan all the Smarchmoots around that, but I think you'd get bored within a day or two.

So what's the big roadblock now? The first one was getting the quotes, because you had to find the right companies and had to talk to people.

You have that information now. Are you having trouble with the calculations and planning, or (more likely) are you overwhelmed by all the writing you have to do and aren't sure where to start and how to order your thoughts?

#41 2016-11-28 02:17:39

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

You have that information now. Are you having trouble with the calculations and planning, or (more likely) are you overwhelmed by all the writing you have to do and aren't sure where to start and how to order your thoughts?

I would say the latter. Of course I can't read your mind, Magpie, but that was my own experience when I had to write my master thesis for university. I had all the information I needed, but just couldn't start. Yet alone the thought of having to order all the informations and thoughts was too much and overwhelming and just lead to more procrastination. I was exhausted before I even wrote one single sentence...

I have no solution or advice for that problem. In the end I started writing because I just had to, but I ended up with having a lot of stress. So all I can do is leaving more hugs.

*hugs Magpie*

#42 2016-11-28 02:26:22

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Otherwise, gmaen Mint! I had a great weekend with Final Fantasy 15. I can't wait to go back home from work and continue playing. Unfortunately  I have to play real life now. I wanted to take a few vacation days, but I wasn't allowed to take the day off today and  tomorrow, so all I could get was from wednesday until next monday.

#43 2016-11-28 02:50:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Taking vacation to play the game? That's some serious dedication :D
Glad you are enjoying it so far!

I think FF7 is the only game in the series I have even seen. Is combat still similar to that, surrounded by tons and tons of dialogue?

#44 2016-11-28 02:50:32

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

And we all know what they say about RL: The graphics are amazing, but the gameplay sucks.

#45 2016-11-28 02:54:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I made another 2 attempts at the speedrun yesterday, cancelling the first almost immediately because I messed up the second mission too much and losing 15 seconds in the first 5 minutes doesn't make any sense.

Second attempt was really good with excellent times on 4 of the first 5 timed missions (one fixed time mission in there as well), but I died on the next one, so I've been practicing that all morning.

Now it's time to get ready for a trip to the dentist.

#46 2016-11-28 03:05:42

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm considering making an appointment with the doctor as my ankle still isn't healed completely since I sprained it four weeks ago. I can do anything, but as soon as I sit still, it's mildly annoying.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#47 2016-11-28 04:09:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Well, I guess we could plan all the Smarchmoots around that, but I think you'd get bored within a day or two.

So what's the big roadblock now? The first one was getting the quotes, because you had to find the right companies and had to talk to people.

Well, I have the prices for the greenhouse. But I still need prices for things like the tables that go in the greenhouse, irrigation systems, paving stones for the paths, the foundations, a fence/gate in front of the outdoor area...

I feel a little better now after spending some time talking with my boss, tracking down prices for some things and companies to contact about others. But it's still a lot if I have to be done in two weeks.

- Tad

#48 2016-11-28 04:29:35

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Also, I think my brain might currently be particularly prone to blowing things out of proportion and then worrying a lot about about them. Between this and how worried I was about going to church last week...

- Tad

#49 2016-11-28 04:31:16

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Can we help? (As in, maybe some answers can be found on the internet?) Nobody said you can't enlist friends to help you out.

Scrollbearer

#50 2016-11-28 04:31:35

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

And we all know what they say about RL: The graphics are amazing, but the gameplay sucks.

That is true. There are just too many NPCs bothering you with annoying side-quests, you can't save, level up is incredibly hard, there is no clear destination, no magic / superpowers / cool weapons etc. I don't even know why we have to play this game.

Board footer