Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-24 17:38:09

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

QM- the Big Bang

Where we return to where it all began....

#2 2016-11-24 17:38:45

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM- the Big Bang

I will try to add something more creative later. :)

#3 2016-11-25 00:07:31

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Our whole universe was in a hot, dense state
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started, wait
The earth began to cool, the autotrophs began to drool
Neanderthals developed tools
We built a wall (we built the pyramids)
Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries
That all started with the big bang! Hey!

Since the dawn of man is really not that long
As every galaxy was formed in less time than it takes to sing this song
A fraction of a second and the elements were made
The bipeds stood up straight, the dinosaurs all met their fate
They tried to leap but they were late
And they all died (they froze their asses off)
The oceans and Pangea, see ya wouldn't wanna be ya
Set in motion by the same big bang!
It all started with the big bang!

It's expanding ever outward but one day
It will cause the stars to go the other way
Collapsing ever inward, we won't be here, it won't be hurt
Our best and brightest figure that it'll make an even bigger bang!

Australopithecus would really have been sick of us
Debating how we're here, they're catching deer (we're catching viruses)
Religion or astronomy (Descartes or Deuteronomy)

Music and mythology, Einstein and astrology

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2016-11-25 01:16:37

Merenwen
Pilgrim

:-D

#5 2016-11-25 04:12:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

We're selling more wreaths than last year. Didn't expect this, so we only made as many as we sold last year, and now I'm scrambling to keep up with making more. Pretty much as soon as I finish one, I sell it again!
And we're running out of materials - branches and hoops to tie the branches to. I mean, we got more branches this morning, but I'm down to one hoop in the size we sell the most of, and they're sold out everywhere, so we can't buy more.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#6 2016-11-25 05:00:47

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

2016 - Wreath of Khan?

If everything's sold out everywhere, I guess it's a good year for these things, for no particular reason I can think of? Hope you don't make more next year and then can't sell them... I don't see any way to fix that problem. Maybe you can overstock the hoops since they will last, if you have enough storage space, but that's about it.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#7 2016-11-25 09:41:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Yeah, how much to make is always a risky thing...

Anyway, I also think we should buy lots of hoops next year, and even more candles (ran out of the red ones, which sell best, just before I went home today).

And we should also look up how many bundles of fir branches we bought, because we kept underestimating how much we would need.

I don't have the final numbers yet, since they'll probably sell a few more tomorrow, but it looks like we're selling 50% more than last year. (Not talking about huge numbers, 40 wreaths last year and 57 so far this year.)

And I think I've mentioned this before - last year there were four of us working on the wreaths, and we still bought half of them ready-made. And didn't manage to keep up with any of the other work, either.

And this year, there were just two of us working on the wreaths (and one less person in the nursery in general), and we made all of them ourselves, and the other work never even seemed stressful, either.

It makes no sense to me at all.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#8 2016-11-25 09:44:21

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Pity you don't need another Meisterarbeit. You could observe the whole process for a couple years and analyze it throughly :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#9 2016-11-25 09:50:48

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Urgh, don't mention the M-word. I really need to work on that tonight. Let's see if our plan works, which is going over to LG's place so he can watch tv and I can write.

And then tomorrow, baking gingerbread.
And Sunday, maybe, visiting one of LG's friends, but I hope that'll end up being cancelled, because I really need a hibernation day...

- Tad

#10 2016-11-25 10:16:16

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sounds like you are already spending a lot of time together :)

I'm being brilliant today. Managed to buy the wrong type of pizza. I am pretty sure they didn't move around, so I have no idea how I did that. Bought more green stuff, but by now I've noticed that I forgot ingredients for all the dishes I want to cook. Oh well...

#11 2016-11-25 10:30:42

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks, Olaf! That will do. It shows how tired I was that I didn't think of that, considering I was watching The Big Bang Theory when I created the Mint!  :-)

#12 2016-11-25 10:32:19

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Yeah, with his cousin's death, we have been spending quite a bit more time together than we'd expected. I do think we need to dial it back a bit again (and he has said the same), because this was rather sudden.

- Tad

#13 2016-11-25 13:33:05

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

If you're going to start over I'll get in on the ground floor.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#14 2016-11-26 00:33:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen mint! Survived the conference. Workshop went well. 18 people came, and 15 stayed till the end (and the other three apologized for leaving). Most of the stuff they built was working in the end, and we learned a few more things about how to give the workshop.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#15 2016-11-26 11:55:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

The rest of today and all day tomorrow is time for some serious introverting.

- Tad

#16 2016-11-26 12:00:18

Magpie
Mantis
Website

But it's been a fun day, making pizza and gingerbread with LG and my best friend.

And I got a big box of chocolates from my neighbours - I let one family use my parking space, since I don't have a car, and when I knew I would get a visitor with a car, I could ask them to park somewhere else. And recently I left them a note asking them to park somewhere else from now on so that LG can use the space. And today they came over to say thank you for being able to use it for so long.

- Tad

#17 2016-11-26 13:12:08

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yay to nice people saying thank you for what you gave them, instead of complaining about the favour being retracted :)

#18 2016-11-26 13:36:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Yeah, I really didn't expect it either!

- Tad

#19 2016-11-26 13:50:28

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Best friend called Trump a "Trampeltier" today. So that's what I'll call him from now on. Das Trumpeltier.

- Tad

#20 2016-11-26 14:09:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

(For those who don't speak German, it literally means trample-animal, and is a type of camel, but "Trampel" could also mean something like "clumsy oaf".)

- Tad

#21 2016-11-26 16:09:10

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Interesting day today... Woke up to freezing temps in my caravan.... Decided to quickly turn on heating and go back to bed until it had warmed up a bit... Then when it was less cold turned on kettle and everything went "zap"... No electricity no nothing... As everyone was out and I have no clue I stayed cold for most of the day... Until we figured out (after testing every single fuse and calling C's dad) that it was the fuse in the extension cord to the kitchen....
(C by the way is my manager, landlady and friend)

Spent the rest of the day trying to get warm again in the house watching tv and making silly comments about the people on tv... Ate some pizza with the whole family and brownies!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#22 2016-11-26 16:12:54

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Looks like it was pizza day today!

- Tad

#23 2016-11-26 18:00:44

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Tired now... back from our trip to Frankenmuth. Had fun! We didn't stay terribly long. We got in last night, had dinner, went back to the hotel, had breakfast today, and shopped for maybe 3 hours before coming home. BUT. That was much more enjoyable than going in every. single. shop. and spending 10-15 minutes in each, which is what happens when MiL comes along. Too much stuff/people leads quickly to sensory overload... But I got ornaments, and cupcakes, and fudge, and popcorn, and cheese, and... yeah, ok, this trip pretty much revolves around food...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#24 2016-11-27 00:37:51

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hurray to food trips!

Celebrated saint Nicholas last night and got a bunch of nice presents.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#25 2016-11-27 05:37:40

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Oh I miss Sinterklaas!!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

Board footer