Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-11-04 13:47:05

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The Moderately Outsized Pumpkin

Hi!

So,  so much has happened in the last few days. Guess I should do a new community post.

#52 2016-11-04 14:18:25

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*leaves some hugs for Marian*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#53 2016-11-04 15:43:31

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It is always interesting how the brain sticks to certain points of view and how much of a difference it makes when you learn to look at a certain issue from another angle.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#54 2016-11-04 16:09:38

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*drops into mint*

Thank Dog this week is over.... It just.kept.going....

Feel like I've been doing this week for a month...

Massive hugs for you Marian... What a horrible horrible situation... Wish I could give you a rl hug!

*sits in cosy caravan... watching Babylon 5.

*huggles the rest of the mint*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#55 2016-11-04 16:11:05

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Libra*
Are you watching shows on the tablet now?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#56 2016-11-04 16:30:08

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Interesting thoughts, Magpie! (re: your father) It is kind of amazing how you can think one way about something for so long, and for no particular reason, one day your brain decides to put a couple things together and all of a sudden, it's seen in a different light.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#57 2016-11-04 16:43:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

It is always interesting how the brain sticks to certain points of view and how much of a difference it makes when you learn to look at a certain issue from another angle.

It's not even learning so much as simply... thinking of it. Because the idea never even occurred to me before.

It's making me about my whole family on my father's side now...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#58 2016-11-04 16:58:11

Mantis

Peter wrote:

*waves at Libra*
Are you watching shows on the tablet now?

*waves back*

No, am borrowing the dvds!!!

Also bought 10 seasons of Supernatural.....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#59 2016-11-04 17:03:02

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

There's a word missing. "wonder"? "think"?

Sometimes I don't think of something at all, like you described, but sometimes I can guess at someone's viewpoint or the reason for something, but I can not "feel" it. That happens for decision making as well as for trying to understand people. The rational part of the brain understands, but the larger part does not.

Taking decision making as the easier example, it is easy to rationalise that beauty is unimportant. It doesn't make a person nicer to talk to, it doesn't make a car drive better or be more cost effective. But I still fail to feel that way, rationality be damned.

#60 2016-11-05 02:17:53

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint!

Happy weekend everybody. I am mostly recovered from the accident. The bruises are all turning brown and yellow but my right side is still kind of bad. Physio guy said I hit the shoulder blade and will probably feel the aftermath at least until Christmas. Ugh!
Why didn't I just let go of the stupid bike when I fell? Would have been much better for me!

#61 2016-11-05 03:08:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yeah, we're not very rational beings, us humans. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#62 2016-11-05 04:02:30

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Yeah, I thought the same time after I fell with my bike - if I had just let go and used my hands to break my fall, instead of clutching the handlebars as if that would do any good...

- Tad

#63 2016-11-05 04:31:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Unfortunately, the rational part of the brain is pretty slow. In the case of an accident, it says "Oh, bugger" and that's about it.

Only thing you can do is to use your rational brain to train the rest into hopefully pulling out the right reflex.

#64 2016-11-05 07:12:16

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The weather is nasty and my head hurts. Not making any progress on my workshop.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#65 2016-11-05 07:26:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sorry to hear that, Sahi. Hope the day gets better from here on out...

#66 2016-11-05 08:54:51

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Good maen!

Sahi, I also hope you feel better.

I'm just going to try to get my life back on track today. Groceries and cleaning my apartment; laundry. Typical Saturday stuff; it's just been hard to deal with everyday stuff, so it feels like switching gears.

#67 2016-11-05 09:13:04

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I went out to go window shopping. There is this mega store that contains all kinds of small stores, but the whole of it has a single checkout area. They mostly sell pillows, candles, lamps, mirrors and the like. House decorations. Didn't see anything I liked, but then I didn't go there to buy anything either. :)

Scrollbearer

#68 2016-11-05 09:59:36

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I've been doing clean-up work on the balcony. Coooold!

- Tad

#69 2016-11-05 11:30:49

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Dinner has been had and the suitcase has been packed.

Scrollbearer

#70 2016-11-05 15:14:25

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Some friends are taking me out to see Doctor Strange tonight. Yay fun!

#71 2016-11-05 15:15:08

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Enjoy, Marian :)

#72 2016-11-05 15:32:24

Mantis

*drops into mint*

Exciting day today... All the kids here do motorcross and we took the seven-year old out to the field (she's still a bit too uncoordinated to go to the actual tracks) .... She did really well, tight corners and everything... and really got her confidence and went faster and faster... So we did the little hill down and up.... And then she was going to do it one more time... But she took too big a turn and lined up wrong for the downward way and smashed her little motor and herself into the fence pole... Happened ridiculously fast and we could not get there soon enough... Thankfully she nearly immediately started bawling... Which is usually a good sign with kids... but the motor ( even though it's small) still goes really fast... so we were all a bit shook up and the little motor is seriously dented...

Anyway she only had a couple of scratches and a bit of a banged up nose... So then we decided enough is enough and went to get nando's... Kid's cool though...asked when she could go again....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#73 2016-11-05 15:36:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I would have just looked at that thing and go "nope, nope, nope". Still would.
I admire brave people, but not enough to emulate them...

#74 2016-11-05 16:30:42

Mantis

It is a cute little bike though... But I'm too old now for that stuff.... I will come along to the tracks next time they go, but the offer to try it out will be refused... I'd probably kill myself... older people break much easier anyway... And I'm too big for the little bikes that can only go "this" fast... I would have to go on a full size bike... The kind that goes "woosh" as soon as you pull on the gas....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#75 2016-11-05 16:33:14

Mantis

Oh I'm over the top giggling.... one of my old friends send me the videi of this ancient dating show in which we both were (just foir fun)... Was neear twenty years ago and it's making me giggle incredibly...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

Board footer