Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-11-03 16:22:18

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - The Moderately Outsized Pumpkin

Peter wrote:

I guess the important question is, did the dog like you? :D

Glad you had a good time, Magpie!

Of course it did.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#27 2016-11-03 16:23:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

You are just that good :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#28 2016-11-03 16:30:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Animals are easier than people, most of the time.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#29 2016-11-03 16:42:32

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Dogs at least. Cats tend to just hate everyone who hasn't repeatedly proven their ability to open the right cans.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#30 2016-11-03 17:34:38

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

How did that baseball series end? I don't even know who you were rooting for (not that we really get baseball news in this part of the world...).

OMG IT WAS SUCH A STRESSFUL GAME. I was rooting for Cleveland, since that's the team I grew up watching. But man, the Cubs played so incredibly well, and they absolutely deserve their win. The big thing this year has been: The last time Cleveland won the World Series was in 1948, and the last time the Cubs won was 1908. So it was really crazy to see two traditionally poor to mediocre level teams be competing in the final series, and watching them both play so, so well.
So, unfortunately "my" team didn't win, but they played incredibly well and the entire series was a ton of fun to watch.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#31 2016-11-04 00:42:09

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yes, I'll be presenting next week as well, but that will be a bit of presentation about Duchess, followed by Q&A. So no preparation needed, I've done that one so often.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#32 2016-11-04 02:53:31

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

Animals are easier than people, most of the time.

That is true.

Speaking of animals, yesterday I felt the need to cuddle something, so I chose one my guinea pigs as my unlucky victim. Well, it turned out that I was the unlucky victim in the end. She didn't want that and fought me tooth and nail until I set her back on the floor. My right arm is full of scratches. It actually looks like I wrestled with a bear. In my defence, that wasn't a normal cute little guinea pig, but a big cuy crossbreed with demonic red eyes.

#33 2016-11-04 03:21:17

Sahi
Mantis
Website

My ancle still isn't happy. Not exactly hurting, but still a nuisance.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#34 2016-11-04 03:56:31

ylvs
Mantis

Peter wrote:

Dogs at least. Cats tend to just hate everyone who hasn't repeatedly proven their ability to open the right cans.

Peter, I heartily disagree. I've met exactly one cat in my whole life that did not like me and I did not open cans for most.

Also: Gmaen Mint.

#35 2016-11-04 04:01:55

ylvs
Mantis

Peter wrote:

And I have to admit that I also thought Leatherworking Guy looks like the Sam* type.

So we officially have a love affair between a dwarrow and a hobbit.
How do we call it? Inter-story-liaison?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!

#36 2016-11-04 04:09:11

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Most cats I know dislike visitors. If you keep your distance, they don't mind you too much, but that's about all the interaction you'll get. Of course some cats will approach you and cuddle.

I just stay away from them so they neither like nor hate me (too much).

#37 2016-11-04 04:21:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Eh, I'm being dumb. Of course cats don't only like people that feed them.
But I do think they take much longer to warm to people than dogs do. I don't think I've met many cats that just like me. They slowly grow used to people, while dogs seem to decide instantly if they like you or not.

#38 2016-11-04 04:29:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Trying to convince myself to start working on my workshop (which has to be finished in two weeks).

Scrollbearer

#39 2016-11-04 05:47:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

And maybe the weirdest thing:
I do like cats better than dogs. Their "I love almost everything and I love it very much" attitude drives me crazy (yes, I am aware not all dogs are like that).

#40 2016-11-04 07:56:07

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Finally kicked myself off the couch. (Well actually I did so after lunch.) Now downloading all software I need to develop stuff onto the new laptop. And cooking dinner in parallel. (I'm making goulash, hence the early hour for cooking.)

Scrollbearer

#41 2016-11-04 10:51:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Lots of "winter guest" plants coming in at work (that people pay to overwinter in our greenhouses). Including some very big and heavy ones, which makes transporting them "interesting".

But on the other hand, we've managed to avoid utter chaos and "who does this belong to" so far this year. Because my boss tends to drop off load after load, assuming he will remember the owners' names later, and sometimes things get mixed up. So I put myself in charge of labels and lists this year.

- Tad

#42 2016-11-04 11:30:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Organisation is a good thing! If it weren't so much work, I might even try to use it myself.

#43 2016-11-04 11:46:48

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*wishes everyone a nice weekend*

#44 2016-11-04 11:48:44

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*wishes everyone, most definitely including Merenwen, a good weekend*

#45 2016-11-04 11:52:27

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Peter wrote:

And I have to admit that I also thought Leatherworking Guy looks like the Sam* type.

So we officially have a love affair between a dwarrow and a hobbit.
How do we call it? Inter-story-liaison?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!

I laughed so hard at this at lunch. The intern was giving me strange looks. I didn't even attempt to explain, because she doesn't know anything about fantasy.

- Tad

#46 2016-11-04 11:52:55

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Storing plants in the greenhouse for winter is a cool idea, if you don't have enough space at home. If the plants take up so much space, they'll probably be no fun to transport to the greenhouse though.

#47 2016-11-04 11:59:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

That's why the boss and the intern spent most of the last two days picking up plants.

But there was one family that brought their plants themselves, the biggest ones,  because they won't fit into my boss's car. I was really impressed by their system of unloading the plants from their pickup truck, which involved a ramp, a hand truck and several ropes - so much better than our "system" of just lifting them, with a lot of gritted teeth and swearing.

- Tad

#48 2016-11-04 12:18:19

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Huh...

I was just talking to my father on the phone, and found myself saying, "Well, you can just call them and say you'd like to come, but you're not sure yet if you can, so you'll call them back later in the week - wait, I'm one to talk, considering how much I hate making phone calls."

And it never occurred to me before that this might be hard for my father too. It kinda makes sense, we are similar in a lot of ways.
I didn't quite know how to ask him about it, so I didn't, but it makes a lot of sense to me, and it makes a lot of sense to me (also with how he's hardly keeping in touch with his old friends, because I also do that thing where I assume I will annoy people and they don't actually want to talk to me, although I'm getting better at reining in that thought/not believing it.) And maybe drinking was his way of coping with those feelings.

I've never thought about it like that.

- Tad

#49 2016-11-04 13:10:21

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Always funny when you get those revelations, isn't it.

Scrollbearer

#50 2016-11-04 13:20:19

Magpie
Mantis
Website

It's happened a couple of times in therapy, but this was really unexpected.

- Tad

Board footer