Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-03 00:29:20

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

QM - The Moderately Outsized Pumpkin

Despite the modest name, the pumpkin is gigantic. Large enough, in fact, to house the whole Mint. The orange exterior has been carved to glow with the light within, yet not so deep as to let the air and rain in. The interior has been scraped and cleaned and fitted with a bar, tables, chairs and all the other trappings of a proper Mint. Pumpkins of more normal size and every kind of shape and colour are everywhere to decorate the room and pumpkin cakes,  soups and stews are found on the menu.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#2 2016-11-03 01:05:52

ylvs
Mantis

Re: QM - The Moderately Outsized Pumpkin

*hugs Marian and Libra for their crap*

Marian, no use to go back to fags and booze. Helps NOT A DIME! And you know it. You're strong. You'll do it.

*adds extrahugs*

#3 2016-11-03 01:10:14

Olaf
Mantis
Website

*piles on even more hugs*

It gets better!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2016-11-03 02:56:42

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*adds more hugs for Marian*

#5 2016-11-03 05:10:58

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I can't even imagine how hard it must be, Marian. But I know you're strong enough make it through without drinking again, and smart enough to find help if you can't do it on your own.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#6 2016-11-03 05:13:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Meh. Another graffiti on the walls at work.
And while the tooth that slightly crumbled isn't a big problem (it's a wisdom tooth, so it got a cheap fix that should last anway, due to the low stress (no opposing tooth)), I decided to replace 2 of the low quality fillings. I guess I can afford it in the end, since I'm a lucky bastard, but health expenses may exceed rent this year.

Last edited by Peter (2016-11-03 05:14:57)

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#7 2016-11-03 05:32:36

Magpie
Mantis
Website

A conversation during work:

Me: "Why can I do this today, when I couldn't do it yesterday? Have I become stronger overnight?"
The intern: "Maybe a spider bit you in the night and you turned into Spiderman."
Me: "Please. If anything, it would be Spiderwoman."
The intern: "Yeah, okay."
Me: "Although I don't want to be bitten by a spider. I'd rather be bitten by anything else. I could be... I don't know, Bedbugwoman."

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#8 2016-11-03 05:34:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Ah, but mastering your fear of spiders would be a big step towards superpowers!
And following that logic, if I mastered my fear of people, I'd become... hu-man!

#9 2016-11-03 06:48:27

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Good maen!

I came home and then got a call from a hospice doctor that she was in critical condition and could go into cardiac arrest at any time, so went back and sat with her for a while; and apologized for being impatient with her, in case she could hear me.

But watching her blood pressure (even though it was low) and heart rate stay steady for a while, I came back home and slept for 3 or 4 hours.

There was a whole conversation earlier about her wishes, too. Which in the end (and including some mostly-conscious input from her) amounted to DNR (do not resuscitate). But she's in the ICU now, and they are giving her antibiotics and fluids.

I don't know... I guess I'll go to work for a little while. I'm kind of exhausted, but I will at least make a go of it. It's easier to arrange for substitutes and everything while I'm there than at home.

I'm not going to start drinking and smoking; I know it will only add to my problems! Though I did quite like that cigarette last night.

#10 2016-11-03 06:49:30

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

A conversation during work:

Me: "Why can I do this today, when I couldn't do it yesterday? Have I become stronger overnight?"
The intern: "Maybe a spider bit you in the night and you turned into Spiderman."
Me: "Please. If anything, it would be Spiderwoman."
The intern: "Yeah, okay."
Me: "Although I don't want to be bitten by a spider. I'd rather be bitten by anything else. I could be... I don't know, Bedbugwoman."

HA! Love this!

#11 2016-11-03 07:52:04

ylvs
Mantis

Hang in there Marian!

*sending good vibes over the pond*

Peter, you were asking about the remainder of my hiking trip which I indeed did not post about. Bad me!
But I made a flickralbum and let pics talk instead. Enjoy!

#12 2016-11-03 08:00:12

Merenwen
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

Hang in there Marian!

*sending good vibes over the pond*

Peter, you were asking about the remainder of my hiking trip which I indeed did not post about. Bad me!
But I made a flickralbum and let pics talk instead. Enjoy!

Nice pictures, Ylvs! The landscape is beautiful.

#13 2016-11-03 08:14:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Those rock formations and the colourful leaves make for some excellent pictures, thanks for sharing, Ylvs!

#14 2016-11-03 08:25:23

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*leaves more hugs for Marian*
I don't have any words, that whole situation is just awful :/

#15 2016-11-03 09:12:41

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Magpie, LG reminds me of Samwell Tarly! How cool is that?!

Haha, I didn't say anything, but that was also the first thought that came into my mind! :D

#16 2016-11-03 09:38:46

Olaf
Mantis
Website

My week so far:

First two days in my team went ok. Still lots of new stuff to learn, but my team members are very nice and gave me a warm welcome.

However, my new schedule messed up my sleep cycle completely and I have slept badly three nights in a row now.

Also have a slight cold, which is annoying.

However, I just checked into my flight for London tomorrow, because on Saturday I am going to see both parts of HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD with my best friend who is coming along on this trip. We will be back on Sunday.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#17 2016-11-03 09:46:39

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Marian, I am really sorry for you and for your mother. It just gets worse, huh? I hope you find the strength to deal with this. My best wishes. *hugs*

My situation doesn't improve, either... My mother got the next bad diagnosis yesterday. Life is just unfair.

#18 2016-11-03 09:50:43

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Olaf wrote:

My week so far:

First two days in my team went ok. Still lots of new stuff to learn, but my team members are very nice and gave me a warm welcome.

However, my new schedule messed up my sleep cycle completely and I have slept badly three nights in a row now.

Also have a slight cold, which is annoying.

However, I just checked into my flight for London tomorrow, because on Saturday I am going to see both parts of HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD with my best friend who is coming along on this trip. We will be back on Sunday.

Glad to hear everything goes well in your new position so far. Well, I can totally imagine that your sleep cycle is messed up now, after having to get up in the middle of the night.

Have fun in London!

#19 2016-11-03 10:48:19

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*leaves hugs for Merenwen as well*

And I have to admit that I also thought Leatherworking Guy looks like the Sam* type.

#20 2016-11-03 13:01:19

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Funny story I forgot to relay from yesterday:
My manager and I were talking about general work stuff in our substitute weekly check-in meeting (usually on Mondays, but I was off, and there were things I needed to know!)  and one of the questions he asked me was what are some of the A/P tasks I currently do that could/should be given away. We have 1 client who is very particular about how their invoices are processed, and I said that I would love to get rid of that as it is so time consuming, but only if whoever took over it was very diligent and was careful to follow the rules! He said that was a very accounting thing of me to say.
Then later we somehow got on the topic of music, and he said something like, "Was it Beethoven that had all the rules, or Bach?" I tried to translate that from non-classical-music-person-speak, and talked about how in music school, when we first started learning composing, we learned how to write 4-part Bach chorals, and how I hated doing that because there were so many rules!
I stared off into space for a second and realized the sheer irony of me saying I hated there being so many rules in music, while 5 minutes previously talking about how you have to closely follow the rules in accounting...

It sounds funny, but it makes complete sense in my brain. Like, they can absolutely coexist simultaneously. Music is something creative, there shouldn't be RULES to follow for creativity. But accounting is dealing with hard numbers, it's all black and white. You don't just get to make stuff up to get to the answer you want.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#21 2016-11-03 14:03:58

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

You can't do the fantasy book thing and go "Magic: get out of jail free!"?

How did that baseball series end? I don't even know who you were rooting for (not that we really get baseball news in this part of the world...).

#22 2016-11-03 15:25:45

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen mint! Presentation went well. I was very pleased with the pacing, and the audience seemed to like it (I got thanked several people). Now really tired. I also sprained my ancle. Not badly, but it was still a nuisance to drive.

*Hugs for everyone who had a crappy day*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#23 2016-11-03 15:41:02

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Met LG's mother, sister and grandmother today (and the parents' dog). I was a little nervous at first, but it ended up being a whole lot of fun. Especially when his grandmother started to tell raunchy jokes. Which you really do not expect from a little old lady.

- Tad

#24 2016-11-03 16:18:05

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I guess the important question is, did the dog like you? :D

Glad you had a good time, Magpie!

#25 2016-11-03 16:20:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Conferences are a dangerous place it seems, but that can't stop you!
Do you have a presentation at the other conference as well?

Board footer