Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-10-15 18:00:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - Digital Ghosts

*giggles at Peter's puns*

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Magpie wrote:

I need to peel myself off the couch and go to bed...

Baha... I have the same problem... couch is too comfortable though....

It's not even that comfortable...I'm half-sitting, half-lying in a very awkward position... but getting up is just so difficult.
I would try to fall asleep on the couch, but if I have to sit up to move to a more comfortable position anyway, I might as well go to bed. And brush my teeth on the way, because ew.

*moves a foot off the couch*
*gets tangled in blanket*
*considers giving up again*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#27 2016-10-15 18:08:12

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*pops by*

Makin' potato soup. By myself this time! Husband helped a lot last time, but this one is *mine*. At least until I eat it and it's awful, lol. Hey, I'll never get better at this "cooking" concept unless I try.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#28 2016-10-15 18:10:12

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'd definitely need a weird partner to go along with my weirdness for an exceedingly weird partnership. I don't think I could go out a couple times a week, meet people frequently and spend a lot of time on shared activities.

I do have a fair amount of time and I'd be happy to free up a part of that, but I'd still want to do my stuff and I have little interest in most popular forms of entertainment. Just having so much time is a problem, really.

My experience with online dating is mixed, though that is largely down to me using it badly. I had a couple nice dates, a fair amount of useless but ok dates and a few uncomfortable ones. I am not contacting enough women and I am not picky enough in who I meet. Which seems like a weird combination, but since I don't see a lot of options, I am less likely to turn down an offer for a date, even if I suspect it won't work out.

But I don't see any alternative to online dating. Where would I meet someone? I am not about to hang out in bars.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#29 2016-10-15 18:11:21

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Ad1tu*

*crawls bathwards*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#30 2016-10-15 19:51:13

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Peter wrote:

I'd definitely need a weird partner to go along with my weirdness for an exceedingly weird partnership. I don't think I could go out a couple times a week, meet people frequently and spend a lot of time on shared activities.

I do have a fair amount of time and I'd be happy to free up a part of that, but I'd still want to do my stuff and I have little interest in most popular forms of entertainment. Just having so much time is a problem, really.

My experience with online dating is mixed, though that is largely down to me using it badly. I had a couple nice dates, a fair amount of useless but ok dates and a few uncomfortable ones. I am not contacting enough women and I am not picky enough in who I meet. Which seems like a weird combination, but since I don't see a lot of options, I am less likely to turn down an offer for a date, even if I suspect it won't work out.

But I don't see any alternative to online dating. Where would I meet someone? I am not about to hang out in bars.

I know what you mean.... I don't go to bars either and the hobbies I have don't automatically let me meet lots of people....

But at the moment I'm decided on staying single... my last relationships were just too draining and I just can't be bothered with that again...

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#31 2016-10-16 00:41:32

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*laughs at Peter's puns* Haha, autocorrect again. And it was late... Anyway, gamesday! Have to travel by train today, as Ivo needs the car.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#32 2016-10-16 01:20:23

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint!

Had a wonderful night out at cabin in the woods. Kids made pumpkins, games were played and songs were sung. I had promised Daughter1.1 to return home so archnophobic her would not have to spend the night but when the time came she decided to stay because we had such a good time ... Big surprise and even bigger achievement - so proud of her!

#33 2016-10-16 01:30:35

ylvs
Mantis

As to dating (having no experience)  I do not believe that online is so entirely different from ordinary dating. It comes down to the same basic things: do I fall in love? Does the other? Does it work?
And the falling in love can be lightning that strucks or a fire slowly building up from a spark and some kindling...

#34 2016-10-16 01:50:12

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*grumble*

Still didn't manage to sleep enough...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#35 2016-10-16 04:02:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Glad you had a good time, Ylvs!

Those pictures are perfect for haunted mints. The right pumpkin might very well be an 8-bit era digital ghost!

#36 2016-10-16 04:19:11

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

As to dating (having no experience)  I do not believe that online is so entirely different from ordinary dating. It comes down to the same basic things: do I fall in love? Does the other? Does it work?
And the falling in love can be lightning that strucks or a fire slowly building up from a spark and some kindling...

I guess something like Tinder is very similar to dating in a bar. You don't know much about the other person, you just go by the way they look and by the character you read into that look. It's just easier to click then walk up to someone and say Hi. Maybe. I've never used the service and very, very rarely done the latter.

More text based sites, which is what I've used in the past, are still similar, but you do have a little more information at your fingertips. You might know something about their hobbies, you have some text to see how they express themselves and some other tidbits they may have provided. I wish real life had some AR elements, with the age and relationship status being displayed... (alright, this is a horrible idea, but it would make dating easier).

What all of those have in common, is that - at least for my dumb brain, but I doubt I'm alone - the expectation is that you are there to date and want it to end with a relationship or casual sex. Dating at work, among friends or other social groups would be rather different, because you know a lot about the person before you start dating. A couple lines of text can not convey personality like hanging out with a person for a while (though a lot of text can do most of that).

#37 2016-10-16 04:37:37

ylvs
Mantis

Haha, of course I meant I have no experience with online dating not with dating in general.

#38 2016-10-16 04:39:16

ylvs
Mantis

Compare a lot of text to a single night in a bar and it is quite even ...

#39 2016-10-16 05:04:34

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Trying to convince myself to do stuff until best friend comes over, but I don't want to...

And a butterfly just visited me. Came in through the open balcony door, had a look around my living room, and flew out again.

- Tad

#40 2016-10-16 05:50:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And now I just found a huge spider in my bedroom, when I moved some plants to water them.

I am never ever sleeping again.

- Tad

#41 2016-10-16 06:55:20

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

Haha, of course I meant I have no experience with online dating not with dating in general.

I figured as much :)

#42 2016-10-16 06:57:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

Compare a lot of text to a single night in a bar and it is quite even ...

But you don't get the information before you walk over and try to engage in conversation. To me this is incredibly scary (even if I know my brain is being dumb).

#43 2016-10-16 06:57:44

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

... but at the end of the day, my life is only my own, and all the corners of it are filled with my own interests and hobbies and whatever, and it's difficult to make space for one more person in it.

This is exactly how I feel. My life feels very full, and I don't really want to work anyone else into it.

Though I would like a little romance and companionship....

#44 2016-10-16 07:44:51

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

That said, there is this guy on Match that I've been emailing for a few weeks, who I think I'd really enjoy hanging out with. But obviously, haven't had a lot of energy for dating in the last few weeks, plus he's a psychologist who works with nursing homes on mental health programs... so there's part of me that's worried he would not be interested in someone like me, dealing with what I am. So I just sent him an email giving him a kind of an outline of what's been going on and what my family situation is like. So he can run away now if he wants, and I won't waste his time! :-)

Part of me hopes he still interested, though, and that his work makes him more understanding rather than less; because I really like his smile and I think he's someone I could be happy spending some time with.

#45 2016-10-16 09:20:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Gmaen Mint!

Had a wonderful night out at cabin in the woods. Kids made pumpkins, games were played and songs were sung. I had promised Daughter1.1 to return home so archnophobic her would not have to spend the night but when the time came she decided to stay because we had such a good time ... Big surprise and even bigger achievement - so proud of her!

The pumpkins look great, and it's awesome that everyone had such a great time that even phobias couldn't interfere!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#46 2016-10-16 09:22:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

And now I just found a huge spider in my bedroom, when I moved some plants to water them.

Why? You didn't kill him? He got away?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#47 2016-10-16 10:22:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

She's finally seen through the conspiracy. The spiders are everywhere, hiding right under our noses. Once you know, there can be no sleep, there can be no peace.

#48 2016-10-16 10:23:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

You may not want to show the previous post to Ylvsdaughter 1.1 .

#49 2016-10-16 11:02:29

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Marian, fingers crossed!

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Why? You didn't kill him? He got away?

No, it luckily stayed in that spot long enough for me to get the vacuum cleaner (which is the only way I can deal with this kind of spiders, there's no way I can get anywhere near them with my hands). But that was the second large spider in a rather short time, so who knows how many more there are in here?

But I lied. Right now I'm soooo tired. So I might sleep after all.

- Tad

#50 2016-10-16 12:48:43

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*drops into mint*

Awaiting lovely food... homemade garlic bread, lovely salamis and such, brie and green stuffs...

On the topic of spiders: my least fun memory is of a spider.. who had decided to climb into my bed, walked over my head and into my pyama top right at the moment when I was starting to fall asleep...

On the topic of dating: I'm on the "I can't be bothered... I like my life... and at this moment so much is going on that I really can't take on another person"... even though I do get lonely some times...

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

Board footer