Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-15 09:54:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

QM - Digital Ghosts

You leave The Haunted Mint, but spooky season is yet to end. Instead of safety, you find that the ghosts have turned digital. Some may be pixelated monsters, chasing yellow 270° arcs, others may be of higher definition and require less imagination from their victims.

Yet one ghost is special to this place. He likes to type messages and nobody is as scared of him as farmers - or at least one particular farmer. Fortunately, he only types when sober, so leave him a beer.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#2 2016-10-15 09:54:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - Digital Ghosts

*leaves a beer for reg*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#3 2016-10-15 09:57:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*adds a plate of cookies*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#4 2016-10-15 14:06:19

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Lots of good news, Firsfron!

#5 2016-10-15 14:21:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Back from the movies, and lots of talking. Saw his apartment and met his cat...

It's just so... on the one hand, I hope this works, but another part of me is scared by what a big difference in my life it would be, being in a relationship, after I've spent all my adult life only needing to think of myself.

... that sound selfish, of course I have my family and friends and stuff... but at the end of the day, my life is only my own, and all the corners of it are filled with my own interests and hobbies and whatever, and it's difficult to make space for one more person in it.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#6 2016-10-15 14:48:02

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*tumbles into mint and huggles all and sundry*

Had a  lovely day... lunged Mia and did some groundwork and she was amazing and responded to everything very well... I got a lovely cuddle from her... then had some awesome cuddles with Teddy and the had great food!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#7 2016-10-15 14:52:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*pouncyhuggles Libra*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#8 2016-10-15 14:58:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Teddy? Mia? You are doing some housesitting, IIRC, but I am still quite confused... which is the natural state of my brain, I guess.

#9 2016-10-15 15:08:15

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

Back from the movies, and lots of talking. Saw his apartment and met his cat...

He even has a cat. Damn, he's doing all the right things :D
(Kidding, mostly, he's hardly acquired the cat just to date you)

Magpie wrote:

It's just so... on the one hand, I hope this works, but another part of me is scared by what a big difference in my life it would be, being in a relationship, after I've spent all my adult life only needing to think of myself.

... that sound selfish, of course I have my family and friends and stuff... but at the end of the day, my life is only my own, and all the corners of it are filled with my own interests and hobbies and whatever, and it's difficult to make space for one more person in it.

It is scary, at least for anyone not used to it (which certainly includes me). On the other hand in a "normal" relationship buildup - as far as these things are ever normal and I unserstand them - you will do what you are doing now for a very long time, just meeting a couple times a week, so if you can fit it in your schedule now, that part shouldn't be a problem for a while and you'll have plenty of time to figure it out.

What you do when you meet may change, at least partially and that's plenty scary too. As far as I can tell, nothing about dating is ever simple, though nothing is as bad as our brains tell us either. I hope.

And at least as far as dating goes, I don't see any reason for you not be selfish, aside from treating him with respect. You have to decide wether you would be happier in a relationship or not and most of the time that is the only thing that matters. He'll have to figure his side out for himself (that's one common mistake of mine, trying to figure out if she would benefit (and always guessing no)).

#10 2016-10-15 15:10:26

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Teddy? Mia? You are doing some housesitting, IIRC, but I am still quite confused... which is the natural state of my brain, I guess.

They're horses. Libra was talking about them in the Mint a while ago. Mia belongs to a friend, IIRC, and Teddy is being treated very badly by his owners.

- Tad

#11 2016-10-15 15:17:33

Blue&Green
Pilgrim

About relationships, for me it's definitely selfishness that keeps me single and then there's time. As I get older I can barely find time for things as basic as sleep. I can't even imagine what it would be like dating. I'd be a pretty bad partner to say the least.

#12 2016-10-15 15:28:54

Mantis

Peter wrote:

Hahaga..... Mia is my friend's horse and Teddy is her neighbour in the stables...

I'm petsitting for two black cats Swayze and Simba!!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#13 2016-10-15 15:31:31

Mantis

Blue&Green wrote:

About relationships, for me it's definitely selfishness that keeps me single and then there's time. As I get older I can barely find time for things as basic as sleep. I can't even imagine what it would be like dating. I'd be a pretty bad partner to say the least.

*pouncyhuggles*

For me too it's selfishness... and just wanting to be able to just do what I want to do, when I want to do it without having to ask someone...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#14 2016-10-15 15:36:35

Magpie
Mantis
Website

The funny thing is, I was wondering if I should give online dating a try, and then told myself, not right now, but maybe when I'm done with school, I don't have time right now...

- Tad

#15 2016-10-15 15:50:21

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Heheh, well it _is_ possible to be in a relation and still do all the things you like, even when your significant other doesn't like them. Other people will think you're a word couple, but it _can_ work. I'm living proof.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#16 2016-10-15 15:50:55

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Spent the evening at my mom's place, knitting and watching a movie.

Scrollbearer

#17 2016-10-15 15:51:33

Sahi
Mantis
Website

And now I should be off to bed...

Scrollbearer

#18 2016-10-15 15:59:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*waves at Sahi*
You're up late today!

- Tad

#19 2016-10-15 16:20:53

Mantis

Magpie wrote:

The funny thing is, I was wondering if I should give online dating a try, and then told myself, not right now, but maybe when I'm done with school, I don't have time right now...

Don't. ... really... I've tried and I failed miserably.....miserably....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#20 2016-10-15 16:45:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I have no idea if I would actually do it... I was thinking about it in occasional moments of feeling lonely, but I have no idea if I would go through with it...

- Tad

#21 2016-10-15 16:58:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I need to peel myself off the couch and go to bed...

- Tad

#22 2016-10-15 17:35:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

They're horses. Libra was talking about them in the Mint a while ago. Mia belongs to a friend, IIRC, and Teddy is being treated very badly by his owners.

Ah. I remember the post, but the names didn't register at all (can't recall them even with the reminder).
Thanks for deconfusing me :)

#23 2016-10-15 17:39:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi wrote:

Heheh, well it _is_ possible to be in a relation and still do all the things you like, even when your significant other doesn't like them. Other people will think you're a [b]word[i] couple, but it _can_ work. I'm living proof.

Some people may be power-pointing out that you're a word couple, but I think it is an excel-lent idea!

#24 2016-10-15 17:45:55

Mantis

Magpie wrote:

I need to peel myself off the couch and go to bed...

Baha... I have the same problem... couch is too comfortable though....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#25 2016-10-15 17:56:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I'm using an office chair instead, but going to bed would be an excellent idea...
Usually 2 am isn't that bad for me, but I'm still on this builder induced normal rythm.

Silly games making me play late without looking at the clock...

Board footer