Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-01 13:05:43

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

QM - The Haunted Mint

The trees are continuing their perennial change, greens to golds and oranges and reds. The sun has set, casting silhouettes outside the windows. The wind picks up a bit, whipping around leaves and causing the baring branches to scrape against the building.

Inside, the lights have been replaced by candles, throwing long and flickering shadows onto the walls. The place feels a bit smaller, except for the echoes and creaks...

Behind the bar stands a figure, hunched over and turned away, wiping down glasses with an old rag. They're already clean, but the 'keep believes in rituals. The figure turns to set down the glass, and unobstructed, you observe it is not as tall as you had assumed, it is precisely one head shorter!

But despite the creaks and scrapes, you still have a thirst that can only be quenched here in the Mint. No matter the season, you have always been treated well here, and couldn't imagine gathering any place else. Even though those shadows in the corner look suspiciously like skittering rats, the cobwebs are a bit heavy on the chandeliers (how have those not been burned off by the candles?), and there is a strange lamp turning itself off and on at random against the wall, you approach the bar.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#2 2016-10-01 13:14:09

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - The Haunted Mint

*wanders in looking worriedly at the cobwebs*
Because where there are cobwebs, there have to be spiders...

*spots the lamp and starts laughing loudly*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#3 2016-10-01 13:25:04

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*comes in brandishing a torch*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#4 2016-10-01 13:39:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Hah. I mean to close the other thread, but I think I got distracted by something else and didn't...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#5 2016-10-01 14:38:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

This looks like a great place for a zombie couch, but I'm still pretty awake. Not surprising, given how much I slept tonight.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#6 2016-10-01 20:28:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ooh, spooky hallow-mint! Very nice decor!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#7 2016-10-02 02:34:21

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Got up at a semi-decent time today, so I can go to bed at a reasonable time and won't be a zombie couch tomorrow. Couch potatoes are tasty, but otherwise it's not that pleasant.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#8 2016-10-02 03:53:04

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

Lovely place, Ad1tu. Well done.

So I am in Denmark. Happy. Kind of. Nothing is right this year. On of us is not here because she is in hospital. Very bad blood parameters. Likely her cancer is back. Very bad.
Two weeks ago the expartner of another friend (and mother of his children) was diagnosed with breast cancer which has already spread into liver and spine.

This is not the happy and carefree vacation I had been looking forward to.

As my mum uses to say: Age is of no avail.

#9 2016-10-02 04:35:39

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*huggles ylvs*

- Tad

#10 2016-10-02 05:09:15

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am sorry, Ylvs :/

I hope things work out reasonably well for your friends.

#11 2016-10-02 07:39:58

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs, these are unfortunate news indeed :-( I keep my fingers crossed for your friends (and their partners) *huggles*

#12 2016-10-02 08:11:25

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*drops into mint and pouncehuggles everyone she can see*

I..... is..... back!!!!

Siss bought a new compy.... and I get to use (probably keep) hers!!!!!!!!!

*dances and swings through the creepy mint, trying to avoid the cobwebs*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#13 2016-10-02 08:12:10

Mantis

*forbids herself from reading everything that has happened since last she was here*

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#14 2016-10-02 09:08:08

ylvs
Mantis

LIIIIBBBBRRRAAAAAAAAAA!

*pouncyhuggles*

Oh this is awesomest news!

You're back - hooray!

#15 2016-10-02 09:09:44

ylvs
Mantis

I deleted a topic.

Considered it nescessary.

#16 2016-10-02 09:17:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

I deleted a topic.

*wonders*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#17 2016-10-02 09:17:34

Mantis

*pouncyhuggles Ylvs*

I is!!!!! I is!!!!!!

Currently waiting for World of Warcraft to download..... hahahaha..... I'm going to try it out, as the two other people in my house only talk about quests, pretty places and staffs..... and to fit in I wil have to be able to talk about the same..... (on an actual level - not just "Yeah, staff..eh...are...eh...awesome???")

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#18 2016-10-02 09:18:08

Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

ylvs wrote:

I deleted a topic.

*wonders*

*pouncyhuggles Firs*

*wonders along"

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#19 2016-10-02 09:18:43

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

*forbids herself from reading everything that has happened since last she was here*

Woah! Libra! Welcome back! *hugs and hugs, on top of hugs*

We missed you! What's been happening? Tell us everything!

#20 2016-10-02 09:22:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Gmaen Mint.

Lovely place, Ad1tu. Well done.

So I am in Denmark. Happy. Kind of. Nothing is right this year. On of us is not here because she is in hospital. Very bad blood parameters. Likely her cancer is back. Very bad.
Two weeks ago the expartner of another friend (and mother of his children) was diagnosed with breast cancer which has already spread into liver and spine.

This is not the happy and carefree vacation I had been looking forward to.

As my mum uses to say: Age is of no avail.

Really sorry about your friends, Ylvs. I sure hope, though, that you can enjoy your time in Denmark. I know that's a trip you always look forward to.

#21 2016-10-02 09:23:56

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Aw, ylvs :( Sorry to hear that vacation has brought sad news with it.

Welcome back, Libra!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#22 2016-10-02 09:28:39

Mantis

Woah! Libra! Welcome back! *hugs and hugs, on top of hugs*

We missed you! What's been happening? Tell us everything!

I missed you toooo!!!

My life is weird at the moment...... living (temporarily , but already for two months) at siss' and boyfriend's place, as people here are greedy, the government stupid and house wayyyy too expensive.... (if you're a couple it's doable, but I already decided against making up a boyfriend)... work has been promotion upon promotion.... turned team leader in November last year, now since a month I am consultant.... which was pretty much forced upon me, as my manager and director believed I was the only one that could do it...
And now the unofficial (not supposed to talk about it yet - but hey, this is smarch) change that is a-coming, is that I will most probably support creating a new team in the Netherlands.... so basically moving back, initially temporary, but with the (big) possibility that it will become permanent and as that team is thought to grow larger, possibly with the possibility that I will grow and lead that team eventually...

I have also taken up the accordion.... as siss and boyfriend don't want money from me (I tend to get the take-away and buy food as a sort of secretive way to pay them), I'm not spending anything on rent and I finally (after years of wanting one) bought an accordion!!! Having lessons now and still very much suck, but hopefully soon I'll be playing Irish/Medieval folk with some French songs mixed in!!!

I also cut my hair and dyed it fire red (which sounds bigger than it is)

Anyway, that about it..... I think!!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#23 2016-10-02 09:37:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I got back from New Mexico late last night, and was really too tired to post about the trip. But it was fun: I went over to the bootheel of New Mexico to visit a friend for a sort-of housewarming party (she's owned the house for 15 years, but only recently moved in after selling another house located in this area). I brought wine!

She has a lovely ranch, with horses, orchards, the whole nine yards. There's even the ruins of a boxcar from circa 1915 on the property. I'm very happy for her, but sad that she's left the area. The part of New Mexico that she's living in is extremely isolated. I've always joked that I live at the edge of civilization, with the national forest directly south of me, and nothing beyond it but wilderness. But her ranch is... beyond the edge of civilization. This is beyond even "the boonies".

Her ranch is a few miles south of the tiny town of Animas. I drove through Animas twice, and never saw a person. I even stopped and got gas on my way back, and never saw anyone. It was very weird.

#24 2016-10-02 09:44:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

My life is weird at the moment...... living (temporarily , but already for two months) at siss' and boyfriend's place, as people here are greedy, the government stupid and house wayyyy too expensive.... (if you're a couple it's doable, but I already decided against making up a boyfriend)... work has been promotion upon promotion.... turned team leader in November last year, now since a month I am consultant.... which was pretty much forced upon me, as my manager and director believed I was the only one that could do it...
And now the unofficial (not supposed to talk about it yet - but hey, this is smarch) change that is a-coming, is that I will most probably support creating a new team in the Netherlands.... so basically moving back, initially temporary, but with the (big) possibility that it will become permanent and as that team is thought to grow larger, possibly with the possibility that I will grow and lead that team eventually...

I have also taken up the accordion.... as siss and boyfriend don't want money from me (I tend to get the take-away and buy food as a sort of secretive way to pay them), I'm not spending anything on rent and I finally (after years of wanting one) bought an accordion!!! Having lessons now and still very much suck, but hopefully soon I'll be playing Irish/Medieval folk with some French songs mixed in!!!

Your life always sounds so chaotic, Libra. A couple of years ago, you were working with giraffes at some zoo, then you were going to move into a houseboat, then somewhere else... Now you may move back to the Netherlands, while playing the accordion... It is hard to keep track of your awesome adventures!

Why does your hair sound bigger than it is? Megaphone hidden under the piles? ;)

#25 2016-10-02 10:11:58

Mantis

Your life always sounds so chaotic, Libra. A couple of years ago, you were working with giraffes at some zoo, then you were going to move into a houseboat, then somewhere else... Now you may move back to the Netherlands, while playing the accordion... It is hard to keep track of your awesome adventures!

Why does your hair sound bigger than it is? Megaphone hidden under the piles? ;)

Hahahahaha.... yes chaos seems to in my nature.... not that it's always nice though!!!

Just tried to start WoW, but it shut this computer down completely.... so I'm guessing I will not play this game and remain a weird bystander in my house not understanding all the talk...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

Board footer