Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-09-16 06:49:41

willmcd
Pilgrim

Re: QM - Forever Autumn

ylvs wrote:

Or alternatively: Ich hoffe, dass es nicht so schwül ist wie hier.

And about English pronunciation: it's a snake pit. One learns with trial and error, long practice and patience. I think I turned 30 before I found out that the w in sword is silent ...

Where did you learn German willmcd? It seems you're speaking fluently.

Ich habe ein paar Semester Deutsch studiert, als ich in der Schule war (vor 20 Jahre).   Danach lehrte ich mich mit Bücher.  Vielen Dank für dein Kompliment!   

Because of the way I've learned, I am reasonably good at writing, reading and speaking (although I do occasionally mess up my verb positions!), but not very good at understanding others speaking, because I have seldom had the opportunity to practice.  That's the big problem with learning a second language in the USA; unless it is Spanish, there will frequently be few other speakers around, especially if one does not live in a large city (which I don't).

#52 2016-09-16 07:30:41

Olaf
Mantis
Website

*hugs allround for everyone who needs them*

Seems a lot of us need them right now.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#53 2016-09-16 07:58:25

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

As far as I understood, it's Ad1tu alone who goes to therapy to cope with the situation. Are you both going? Best wishes anyway. And you know? I kinda asked myself if something was up when you cut your hair. Mostly something is up when hair gets cut, right? *huggles*

Yes, you got it right, ylvs, it's just me going by myself. I realized after I re-read my post this morning that it might have been worded ambiguously.

And yeah, I think subconsciously this was behind why I did such a drastic change. Didn't realize it at the time! But the more I think about it, the more it seems that may have been part of it.

Thanks for all the concern, everyone. *leaves pile o' Smarcher huggles*

Last edited by Ad1tu (2016-09-16 07:58:57)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#54 2016-09-16 09:09:10

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

Nobody than German people worry about this anyway (and yes in this case and in this case only Ausrian counts as German).

And we should. We don't have the worst written English in the world, though it is mediocre, but our pronunciation is among the worst. Not on the Indian level though. I can't understand a word they say...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#55 2016-09-16 09:12:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

willmcd wrote:

Danach lehrte ich mich mit Bücher.

This is probably what most of us did to improve our grasp of the English language. Especially the Germans, since we can watch movies in a dubbed version if we want to. This is why we aren't very good at English on average, there is less reason for us to learn, compared to e.g. the people in Scandinavia or the Netherlands.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#56 2016-09-16 09:23:08

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Oh, that's even worse news. Thought he was willing to do therapy with you. :( Sorry. But I do hope it helps you cope!

Just came from my own therapy session, and I really needed it. We have some stuff going on at work, and I've been slipping a little on my own, so it was really helpful to talk it out with someone.

#57 2016-09-16 09:29:07

Magpie
Mantis
Website

FINALLY got the exam results! After 8 weeks. Instead of the 2-3 they said it would take.

Anyway, I managed to get a C. Which is the worst grade I've gotten in a long time, but I'm SO relieved.

Should text the others and see how they did.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#58 2016-09-16 09:42:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Classmate A., who was probably the most upset after the exam, got a C too, M. is still at work where he can't check his email, still waiting to hear back from K.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#59 2016-09-16 09:47:24

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

That sounds like good news, Magpie! I'm glad you know now and won't have to wait and fret anymore.

#60 2016-09-16 09:49:01

ylvs
Mantis

Peter wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Nobody than German people worry about this anyway (and yes in this case and in this case only Ausrian counts as German).

And we should. We don't have the worst written English in the world, though it is mediocre, but our pronunciation is among the worst. Not on the Indian level though. I can't understand a word they say...

French? Italians? Chinese?

#61 2016-09-16 09:55:34

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Marian wrote:

That sounds like good news, Magpie! I'm glad you know now and won't have to wait and fret anymore.

I'm so so so happy and relieved. Because I could not think about the exam without feeling really anxious because I felt like there was a high chance I'd failed, and I couldn't even text my friends from school because it made me think about the exam.

- Tad

#62 2016-09-16 10:05:52

ylvs
Mantis

Hooray for passing stupid exam of doom.

#63 2016-09-16 10:14:22

Magpie
Mantis
Website

willmcd wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Or alternatively: Ich hoffe, dass es nicht so schwül ist wie hier.

And about English pronunciation: it's a snake pit. One learns with trial and error, long practice and patience. I think I turned 30 before I found out that the w in sword is silent ...

Where did you learn German willmcd? It seems you're speaking fluently.

Ich habe ein paar Semester Deutsch studiert, als ich in der Schule war (vor 20 Jahre).   Danach lehrte ich mich mit Bücher.  Vielen Dank für dein Kompliment!   

Because of the way I've learned, I am reasonably good at writing, reading and speaking (although I do occasionally mess up my verb positions!), but not very good at understanding others speaking, because I have seldom had the opportunity to practice.  That's the big problem with learning a second language in the USA; unless it is Spanish, there will frequently be few other speakers around, especially if one does not live in a large city (which I don't).

I had/have a similar problem with English - I'm good at writing and reading (especially writing actually feels easier in English than in German sometimes, because I do it more, and then trying to write in German feels weird and stilted in comparison), but insecure about speaking it and not so great at understanding it when I hear it. Though speaking/listening has gotten better with the many Smarchmoots I've been on. But especially hearing new people speak can still be a challenge - it's much easier once I'm used to someone's voice and way of talking.)

- Tad

#64 2016-09-16 10:25:02

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Magpie wrote:

All alone at work today. Boss is at a seminar, his wife on holiday, Herr Journeyman will be doing his community service (instead of military service) until sometime next spring, and I sent the intern home because she was feeling sick.

I hope the work isn't too much, then? I actually enjoy being alone in the office from time to time when the work doesn't pile up too much. Otherwise this can be rather stressful.

It was fine - there aren't a lot of customers or a lot of pressing work at this time of year, and I do enjoy some time to myself, too.

I still get insecure about my pronunciation. Even though I know it's probably fine.
Tad telling me I have an ´"Elvish accent" helped a little, though.

Now I am curious how an "Elvish accent" sounds. :)

I couldn't tell you... that's one of the areas where I really notice I'm not a native speaker, I can't recognise or describe accents at all.

Yet another reason why we need to have a moot you can come to! :)

Good luck to your mother!

- Tad

#65 2016-09-16 10:31:07

redNathalie
Pilgrim

*drops in to distribute huggles and refill coffee mug*

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#66 2016-09-16 10:42:20

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

French? Italians? Chinese?

I don't think I've heard Italian or Chinese English. The French have a strong accent, but at least to my ears it doesn't sound as barbaric. I am fairly sure that a lower percentage of people speak English in France though.

#67 2016-09-16 10:47:24

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Congratulations, Magpie :)

I'm happy you can finally put that exam behind you. Probably not the grade you wanted, but you passed and don't have to keep fretting. If I remember that correctly, you'll be starting with the last year of classes this fall?

#68 2016-09-16 10:48:56

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Congratulations, Magpie :)

I'm happy you can finally put that exam behind you. Probably not the grade you wanted, but you passed and don't have to keep fretting. If I remember that correctly, you'll be starting with the last year of classes this fall?

Honestly, all I wanted was to pass.

I have one class in October (the one that was supposed to be this week), and one in January, I think, and that should be the last one.

- Tad

#69 2016-09-16 10:49:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

I had/have a similar problem with English - I'm good at writing and reading (especially writing actually feels easier in English than in German sometimes, because I do it more, and then trying to write in German feels weird and stilted in comparison), but insecure about speaking it and not so great at understanding it when I hear it.

Pretty much all of that. I probably read 10x as much as I listen and write 20x as much as I speak. And I also read and write much, much more in English than in German.

#70 2016-09-16 10:49:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

So fewer classes this year, or two larger blocks?

#71 2016-09-16 10:50:45

Magpie
Mantis
Website

One week each.

And then I still have to write the Meisterarbeit. *cries*

- Tad

#72 2016-09-16 10:54:53

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

So fewer classes, but the Meisterarbeit to (more than) make up for it. Sounds similar to many other forms of education.

The topic has been nailed down already, right?

#73 2016-09-16 11:14:21

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Yes, and I have not written a single word. And I don't know how to start.

And my friends have all passed the exam too. So now we can meet up again - I didn't want to suggest it earlier, or even text them or anything because it made me too worried about the exam.

- Tad

#74 2016-09-16 11:17:57

willmcd
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

I had/have a similar problem with English - I'm good at writing and reading (especially writing actually feels easier in English than in German sometimes, because I do it more, and then trying to write in German feels weird and stilted in comparison), but insecure about speaking it and not so great at understanding it when I hear it. Though speaking/listening has gotten better with the many Smarchmoots I've been on. But especially hearing new people speak can still be a challenge - it's much easier once I'm used to someone's voice and way of talking.)

Yes!  This is me exactly.  German-speakers have always been quite complimentary of my speech (many say I sound like I had lived there), but I get nervous and insecure both speaking and listening and will often get flustered and switch back to English if I know they understand it.

#75 2016-09-16 11:57:24

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I'm one step closer to being orchid obsessive! I bought two more on sale today. These still have pretty blooms, so at least they aren't on death's door. Their roots look healthy, but are exactly like the example pictures of "really really needs to be repotted." So I will wait until their blooms fall and then repot.

Board footer