Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-09-15 14:35:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - Forever Autumn

I can write something that is close to proper english, but my pronunciation is godawful.

I guess every language needs some serious downsides. English has friendly grammar, but there is little to no relation between spelling and pronunciation. German is the opposite. The gender for nouns is probably the worst thing about German grammar, but there are many other problems.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#27 2016-09-15 15:09:36

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Finally made myself some dinner. Yes, it is late.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#28 2016-09-15 15:28:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Heh, that would be late even for me and you go to bed a little earlier than I do :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#29 2016-09-15 15:43:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And of course now I would rather go to sleep than eat, but I'm making myself eat at least part of it. Because skipping meals is really not a good idea.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#30 2016-09-15 16:43:31

redNathalie
Pilgrim

*runs and jumps into all the piles of fallen leaves* It's difficult to remember what season it is sometimes here, thanks for the reminder!

*sips some cold apple cider*

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#31 2016-09-15 18:02:02

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at redNat*

How are you? Are things working out well at the new job?

#32 2016-09-15 18:28:31

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I want to cry. Trump's odds were at 11% a few short weeks ago. Now he is back up to 40! (Fivethirtyeight.com)

Arrrrrrgghh.

#33 2016-09-15 19:23:04

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

So, news. Today I called and made an appointment to start seeing a psychologist. Our first session is next week.
My husband and I are... Not doing so well. Short version is we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, and this has brought a lot of tension to our relationship. We're trying some time apart to see where the chips fall. Still both living in the same house, but trying to be "roommates" I guess.
This has been pretty stressful and emotional for me, thus part of the reason for therapy.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled mint.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#34 2016-09-15 19:58:22

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Ack, Ad1tu! Stressful and emotional is an understatement! *many many hugs* Ugh. So sorry. :-/

It's good you're setting up some therapy visits—that can only help, for some peace of mind at the very least. Glad your husband is agreeing to go, too. I hope things work out for you both.

*more sincere huggles*

#35 2016-09-15 20:26:05

redNathalie
Pilgrim

*waves at Peter* It's going ok! New job is much more management-y than I expected, so it seems to me like I don't do much real work. Just lots of meetings. And listening to people complain and talk for long enough that they figure out the solutions to their own problems. Which is fine, I guess...the pay and the hours are good, and the people are nice. And there's lots of free food. *g* So we'll see how it goes.

#36 2016-09-15 22:01:47

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*lots and lots of Aditu-huggles*

- Tad

#37 2016-09-15 22:52:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I can write something that is close to proper english, but my pronunciation is godawful.

I guess every language needs some serious downsides. English has friendly grammar, but there is little to no relation between spelling and pronunciation. German is the opposite. The gender for nouns is probably the worst thing about German grammar, but there are many other problems.

It's not that bad, Peter. We can all understand you perfectly on the occasional moots!

And on languages, don't forget the near unpronounceable sounds we have Dutch: g, ij, ui just to name a few.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#38 2016-09-15 22:54:35

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*adds more hugs for Ad1tu* Sorry to hear about that.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#39 2016-09-16 01:09:03

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*adds even more hugs*

I am sorry to hear that, Ad1tu. :(

#40 2016-09-16 01:09:30

ylvs
Mantis

willmcd wrote:

Peter wrote:

Welcome to the Mint :)

That is some excellent German. Good choice of words, just some minor grammar issues (and German grammar sucks beyond belief).

Du hast recht!  It should have been:   Ich hoffe, dass es nicht so schwül wie hier ist.

German grammar is indeed daunting, but no more so than English pronunciation.  It's a wonder that anyone ever learns to say our words correctly.

Or alternatively: Ich hoffe, dass es nicht so schwül ist wie hier.

And about English pronunciation: it's a snake pit. One learns with trial and error, long practice and patience. I think I turned 30 before I found out that the w in sword is silent ...

Where did you learn German willmcd? It seems you're speaking fluently.

#41 2016-09-16 01:11:42

ylvs
Mantis

Oh Ad1tu, dear! Too bad! I cross my everthings to you that you'll mange to work stuff out.

#42 2016-09-16 01:14:21

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

I can write something that is close to proper english, but my pronunciation is godawful

Well, you haven't heard my pronunciation. I am not sure I could even speak proper sentences in english. In fact, I have never done that. I learned english at school, sure, but beyond that I never had the opportunity to speak another language than german. And apart from that, my written english isn't very good, either. :D

#43 2016-09-16 04:15:45

Magpie
Mantis
Website

All alone at work today. Boss is at a seminar, his wife on holiday, Herr Journeyman will be doing his community service (instead of military service) until sometime next spring, and I sent the intern home because she was feeling sick.

Merenwen wrote:

Peter wrote:

I can write something that is close to proper english, but my pronunciation is godawful

Well, you haven't heard my pronunciation. I am not sure I could even speak proper sentences in english. In fact, I have never done that. I learned english at school, sure, but beyond that I never had the opportunity to speak another language than german. And apart from that, my written english isn't very good, either. :D

Really? I can't say I've noticed that, it looks good to me!

I still get insecure about my pronunciation. Even though I know it's probably fine.
Tad telling me I have an ´"Elvish accent" helped a little, though.

- Tad

#44 2016-09-16 04:32:34

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Also, I'm still laughing - yesterday I discovered a months-old comment on one of my videos from when Tad was talking with Steven Erikson, some idiot ranting about Tad talking too much, nobody cares about Tad, blah blah, and Erikson is so much better...
Anyway. Obviously factually incorrect, since there were a bunch of Smarchers there. And then the idiot spelled Erikson's name wrong - if you think he is so much better - and if the name is in the video title - shouldn't you be able to spell it? *starts cackling again*

- Tad

#45 2016-09-16 05:08:37

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

All alone at work today. Boss is at a seminar, his wife on holiday, Herr Journeyman will be doing his community service (instead of military service) until sometime next spring, and I sent the intern home because she was feeling sick.

I hope the work isn't too much, then? I actually enjoy being alone in the office from time to time when the work doesn't pile up too much. Otherwise this can be rather stressful. 

Really? I can't say I've noticed that, it looks good to me!

Thank you. :) But I know I am making mistakes from time to time. Sometimes my sentences just seem clumsy to me, and I have problems with the correct use of prepositions and adverbs for example. But most of the time I am too lazy to look that up, even when I have the feeling that a sentence doesn't seem right.

I still get insecure about my pronunciation. Even though I know it's probably fine.
Tad telling me I have an ´"Elvish accent" helped a little, though.

Now I am curious how an "Elvish accent" sounds. :)

#46 2016-09-16 05:22:47

Merenwen
Pilgrim

If we are lucky, my mother can go home on monday. She has been in the rehabilitation facility for three weeks then.

I say "lucky", because she was in a very bad condition when we were making a phone call yesterday. I am worried about her and I always have my phone on my desk next to me. Since nobody has called me so far, I hope she is ok.

#47 2016-09-16 05:59:09

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sorry to hear things aren't going well, Ad1tu :(

I hope you can make this work in whatever way is best for you.

#48 2016-09-16 06:20:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It's not looking like your mother got much better during rehabilitation, Merenwen?

#49 2016-09-16 06:25:43

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Aww, Ad1tu, sorry to hear things aren't going well in your marriage. I do hope therapy helps. It's a good sign he's willing to go, and if he's willing to continue going and doing the work in between sessions, even better.

Merenwyn, best wishes for your mother. Rehab can be so helpful. My mother was recommended for it after the current hospital stay (another leg infection) , but it messes up her insurance and she'd lose her aide, so hopefully they can set up some home physical therapy for her.

#50 2016-09-16 06:46:11

ylvs
Mantis

As far as I understood, it's Ad1tu alone who goes to therapy to cope with the situation. Are you both going? Best wishes anyway. And you know? I kinda asked myself if something was up when you cut your hair. Mostly something is up when hair gets cut, right? *huggles*

And as to the language thingy. You're all fine. Peter you spoken English is as decent as your written is, Merenwen. Nobody than German people worry about this anyway (and yes in this case and in this case only Ausrian counts as German). Whoever is on this board has an above average command of the English language. And it also improves the longer you're here.

Board footer