Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-08-25 07:48:29

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: QM - The Sheila Gilbert Party Mint

I would like to take this opportunity to cast a vehement "no" vote to giant carpenter ants. Giant bugs in general. Creepy-crawlies *shiver*

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#52 2016-08-25 08:41:22

_Sahi_
Pilgrim

I'll second that. Not that I know carpenter ants, but giant bugs...

#53 2016-08-25 08:46:57

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Guess you looked like a Mint room to the eye in the sky :D

Weather here is perfect. Warm, but not super hot (~27°C according to the news). Of course I only spent 20 minutes outside, because... Peter things.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#54 2016-08-25 08:51:07

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Gmaen Mint!

The temperature in our office  is 30°C. We just checked it. I am done for today...

#55 2016-08-25 08:55:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

That's nice for lounging around outside in the breeze. Not so much in an office :/
Hope you have a nice evening :)

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#56 2016-08-25 09:04:15

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

The temperature in our office  is 30°C. We just checked it. I am done for today...

*offers bucket with ice cubes to Merenwen* 30°C is no nice working temperature for either human beings nor PCs!

I'm very thankful for our air conditioners reading your office temperature *sweats*

#57 2016-08-25 10:30:33

ylvs
Mantis

@Kia: pm!

#58 2016-08-25 10:37:51

redNathalie
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

And here is the obigatory moot pic.

Awesome pic! Great shirt, ylvs. ^_^

*directs minions to bring in truckloads of ice cubes for all those suffering through a heat wave, both inside and out*

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#59 2016-08-25 10:52:01

Magpie
Mantis
Website

It was probably pretty warm at my job too, but... it's been worse. Didn't feel too bad in comparison.

Made a visit to the Unexpected Garden after work, where my vegetables are growing nicely and there were some blackberries to be harvested.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#60 2016-08-25 11:04:29

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

@Kia: pm!

received and replied ;)

#61 2016-08-25 11:07:15

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I caved. I have a slice of cake for later. Usually I'm pretty good about resisting the sweets left in the breakroom, but this week at work has been almost non-stop me finding things that other people have fupped and having to fix them. It's really only bothering me because there have been SO MANY.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#62 2016-08-25 11:21:00

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

I caved. I have a slice of cake for later. Usually I'm pretty good about resisting the sweets left in the breakroom, but this week at work has been almost non-stop me finding things that other people have fupped and having to fix them. It's really only bothering me because there have been SO MANY.

withstanding cake is torture! T-O-T-U-R-E! *hands Ad1tu virtual cake*

#63 2016-08-25 11:29:23

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Good maen!

I worked them hard in spinning today!  Worked myself pretty hard, too.  :) Was just finishing up a tuna fish sandwich and thinking I could really go for some sweets,  so I am jealous of your cake, Aditu! 🎂

#64 2016-08-25 11:54:04

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Marian wrote:

Was just finishing up a tuna fish sandwich and thinking I could really go for some sweets,  so I am jealous of your cake, Aditu! 🎂

*hands Marian some virtual cake too*

#65 2016-08-25 12:02:02

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I was so tempted to buy cake today. But I should just bake one  myself.

In other news, boss's wife and I were talking about stupid sexist customers, and she told me this awesome story from when she was young, working as a waitress in a ski resort:

There was this one regular customer in the inn where she worked, some important shopkeeper in the village, who was always hitting on the waitresses.
And then one day, she was walking past this regular with several heavy beer mugs in each hands, because a bus full of tourists had just arrived, and he slapped her ass.
And she goes to the tourists' table, serves them their beer, as if nothing had happened, then walks back to the other room a few minutes later, walks up to the regular, and slaps him in the face.
(Which her boss saw, and screamed at her, and she just said, "yeah, well, I'll put up with a lot, but not with physical sexual harrassment. I'd rather quit." But they couldn't let her go, because it was the busiest time of the year, and they desperately needed her.)

So yeah. I really don't need to worry if I say something to customers that annoy me.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#66 2016-08-25 12:08:48

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Woohoo! Go boss's wife! And that's great to know that she would be totally supportive of you.

Enjoying the cake now. Usually it's easy to withstand the stuff that gets brought in, because while it's ok, it's nothing special, and nothing I feel the need to go out of my way to get. (Mostly because I do bake and am somewhat competent at it, therefore I know I can make something of equal or better taste.)

Tamishu's Ramblings

#67 2016-08-25 12:10:35

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Speaking of baked goods, I saw a picture of these while browsing Twitter on my lunch break: Galaxy Donuts

Tamishu's Ramblings

#68 2016-08-25 12:28:35

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Woohoo! Go boss's wife! And that's great to know that she would be totally supportive of you.

I've heard her tell several customers to please never come back, so, yeah...
(One of them is still a regular, but I think she's gradually getting less rude because she's learning she's not getting anywhere with it.)

Enjoying the cake now. Usually it's easy to withstand the stuff that gets brought in, because while it's ok, it's nothing special, and nothing I feel the need to go out of my way to get. (Mostly because I do bake and am somewhat competent at it, therefore I know I can make something of equal or better taste.)

That was my reason for not buying cake today, either.

- Tad

#69 2016-08-25 12:58:56

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

self-made is the best. Especially since you are able to try tastes, which are not available at the bakery! Like choconot-pineapple cake or Dulce de leche cake *nomnomnom*

#70 2016-08-25 13:02:42

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

after finishing the embroideries for project uchikake I startet to cut the vinyl stencils for the printing of the fish designs...

my whole desk is covered by bits of adhesive vinyl right now....*sigh*

#71 2016-08-25 14:45:41

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

choconot-pineapple cake

Now I have to wonder if that was intentional or not :D

coconut but choco not?

#72 2016-08-25 17:56:32

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*is also curious about choconot-pineapple cake*

Tamishu's Ramblings

#73 2016-08-25 20:59:08

cyan
Mantis

ylvs wrote:

And here is the obigatory moot pic.

Great picture!  And I was totally waving at my screen like you two would see me.  *facepalm*

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#74 2016-08-26 00:19:43

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

Kia wrote:

choconot-pineapple cake

Now I have to wonder if that was intentional or not :D

coconut but choco not?

(^____^) it's chocolate sponge with coconut-cream and pineapple pieces between the layers :)

#75 2016-08-26 01:21:36

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Oh, I shouldn't have come here. All those delicious cakes... My stomach is growling already! :(

Board footer