Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-24 07:36:03

_Sahi_
Pilgrim

QM - The Sheila Gilbert Party Mint

As requested!

Congratulations, Sheila! (Even if you never see this!)

#2 2016-08-24 07:37:10

_Sahi_
Pilgrim

Re: QM - The Sheila Gilbert Party Mint

Now how did I manage to create two topics? And I can't delete my own posts?

#3 2016-08-24 07:47:01

Maladroit
Pilgrim

_Sahi_ wrote:

Now how did I manage to create two topics? And I can't delete my own posts?

Sheila's win is worth two parties!?!?

Congratulations Sheila!!

#4 2016-08-24 08:07:16

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Congratulations indeed!

Just lifting those Tad manuscripts must be hard work, never mind working through them and keeping track of everything that's going on.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#5 2016-08-24 08:39:52

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Congratulations from me as well!

#6 2016-08-24 09:35:53

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I closed the last mint and deleted the double topic.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#7 2016-08-24 09:41:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*adds more congrats*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#8 2016-08-24 10:00:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*adds even more congrats!!!!*

...She deserves an award for just getting through the giant Tad-bricks!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#9 2016-08-24 10:13:27

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Congratulations Sheila!! *throws celebration glitter and joins the party mint* *adds some Belgium chocolate to the party buffet*

#10 2016-08-24 10:22:24

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

G'maen mint! *waves to everyone*

back from business trip! My colleauges and I spent a nice few days in Leuven (which is close to Brussels) and had some very constructive meetings with our business colleauges. Of course there are still bugs left the new functionality, but I'm positive that I will hunt them down eventually *hums*

One of the Belgium colleagues, who lives in Leuven, showed us around a bit. Now I know that there are 20.000 students in Leuven and every faculty of the university university owns it's own bar - fun facts :)

We brought along 1kg of Leonidas pralinés for the colleauges here and I treated myself with a package of Godiva. I just hope they will make it through the heat since I wanted to preserve them for my birthday.

oh, and of course (even though I'm completely and utterly late): welcome back Tad and Tad family! I hope you enjoyed your trip :-)

#11 2016-08-24 10:41:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

One of the Belgium colleagues, who lives in Leuven, showed us around a bit. Now I know that there are 20.000 students in Leuven and every faculty of the university university owns it's own bar - fun facts :)

Welcome back, Kia!

...What? Faculty have their own bar? Or each faculty member owns a bar?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#12 2016-08-24 10:55:04

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

*giggles* even though they call the town square the 'longest bar of the world'  this would be a bit much. But from I understood, each Faculty owns a bar, where the belonging students often gather: we saw the bar of the politics faculty and the bar of the economics faculty :)

#13 2016-08-24 10:58:55

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

*giggles* even though they call the town square the 'longest bar of the world'  this would be a bit much. But from I understood, each Faculty owns a bar, where the belonging students often gather: we saw the bar of the politics faculty and the bar of the economics faculty :)

!!!
(This seems shocking to a faculty member who works in a place where no alcohol is allowed on campus.)

#14 2016-08-24 11:15:16

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

!!!
(This seems shocking to a faculty member who works in a place where no alcohol is allowed on campus.)

*giggles* the Belgium people are very proud in their beer and thus are not that strict about alcohol on the campus. They were even selling banana liquor in the university shop :)

#15 2016-08-24 11:37:05

ylvs
Mantis

*puts a giant chocolate cake in the shape of a Tad-brick on the table*

Look, the frosting says The Witchwood Crown!

Congrats Sheila! You very much earned it!

Celebrate! Keep up the good work!

#16 2016-08-24 12:14:28

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Congrats to Sheila Gilbert from me too. Well-deserved and long overdue.

I am just home from spending the afternoon with the lovely Ylvs at Ylvshome talking books (Tad, GRRM, Harry Potter) and TV shows (Jessica Jones) and movies (Star Trek, Hobbit, LOTR) and generally being entertained by the lovely Ylvsdaughters 1.0 and 2.0.

Of course, I brougt home the enormous stack of books Ylvs and Ylvsfamily brought back from Tadland for me

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#17 2016-08-24 12:29:39

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Welcome back, Kia :)

I am not sure universities run bars here, but I would be surprised if there wasn't more studying going on in bars and cafes than in libraries. Most universities don't even have a proper campus here, though some do.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#18 2016-08-24 12:32:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Also: Lots of shiny Tad-books, Olaf! I hope you had reserved some shelf-space for those?

#19 2016-08-24 12:34:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I remember there was a bar that was in some way connected to the BOKU (university of agriculture in Vienna). But since I was only there for one semester and horribly shy, I think I was only in there once, with some people I sort of knew, and all I remember is being nervous and uncomfortable and the awful cigarette smoke smell in my hair and clothes afterwards.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#20 2016-08-24 12:42:10

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, that is also a part of Austrian bars. Not sure if it's changed that much, despite all the new laws.

#21 2016-08-24 13:01:40

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Also: Lots of shiny Tad-books, Olaf! I hope you had reserved some shelf-space for those?

Nope. I need to do some serious re-arranging.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#22 2016-08-24 13:02:30

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Yeah, that is also a part of Austrian bars. Not sure if it's changed that much, despite all the new laws.

I have absolutely no clue.

I would ask Herr Journeyman, but he has started his community service (instead of military service) so who knows when I'll see him again...

- Tad

#23 2016-08-24 13:04:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

Peter wrote:

Haha! Same here!

I had thought I'd only find a couple of "new" OA books I didn't have, but with Deborah and Ylvs' help, I was able to find a big stack, digging down into the layers of Morgenes-piles.

Now everything's weird, and I haven't found a way to get everything to fit on the shelf the way I want them to. Major re-arrangement efforts are underway... or will be, soon.

#24 2016-08-24 13:19:35

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm so sorry both of you have to rearrange your bookshelfs because you added to your collections ;)
Time for updated pictures as well!

#25 2016-08-24 13:28:16

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

Peter wrote:

Haha! Same here!

I had thought I'd only find a couple of "new" OA books I didn't have, but with Deborah and Ylvs' help, I was able to find a big stack, digging down into the layers of Morgenes-piles.

Now everything's weird, and I haven't found a way to get everything to fit on the shelf the way I want them to. Major re-arrangement efforts are underway... or will be, soon.

I haven't even been able to fit the new DBC on the shelf.
Definitely time for some rearranging here, too. And I either have to get rid of some books or get a new bookcase.

- Tad

Board footer