Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-20 16:37:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

MST3K Reboot coming to Netflix!(Pat Rothfuss!Felicia Day!Mark Hamill!)

While I was in Baychester, RedNat Son 1.x clued me in on the fact that MST3K is getting a reboot!

It's already been confirmed that Bill Corbett (Crow T. Robot), Kevin Murphy (Tom Servo), and Joel (Joel) will be on the show, in some form! And Felicia Day will apparently be playing Dr Clayton Forrester's daughter! (How did that loser ever get a daughter?!)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2016-08-21 01:35:23

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Re: MST3K Reboot coming to Netflix!(Pat Rothfuss!Felicia Day!Mark Hamill!)

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

And Felicia Day will apparently be playing Dr Clayton Forrester's daughter!

😍

And Dan Harmon is involved.  Oh frabjous day, calloo callay!

Last edited by Auros (2016-08-21 01:36:08)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#3 2016-08-21 01:53:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*googles Dan Harmon*

...Ah, Community. Yep, definitely a bonus!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2016-08-21 12:11:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Are Auros and I really the only MSTies here?!

Well, then. I see I need to drum up more support. Patrick Rothfuss is involved.

#5 2016-08-21 12:54:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I have read the name on Smarch a great many times. I have absolutely no clue otherwise.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#6 2016-08-21 16:26:46

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I stayed up late on [whichever night it was] to watch MST3K with friends in college, during sophomore year.  (I'm pretty sure that was the Wolman 6W lounge.  The sophomore dorms were Wolman and McCoy, and each floor of each building was split into an East and West wing, each of which had a lounge with a TV and couches.  Everyone knew there was a schedule of particular shows that folks congregated for in different places on different nights.  I think Simpsons was Thu evening in McCoy 1E -- though that one may've had multiple locations, it's just that McCoy 1E was where I lived.)

I'd be happy to host a MST binge-watching day as a Smarchmoot, next time folks who are interested are out here...

♪ He triiiieeed to kill me with a forklift!!! ♫

Last edited by Auros (2016-08-21 16:27:33)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#7 2016-08-22 00:38:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I have read the name on Smarch a great many times. I have absolutely no clue otherwise.

Peter, I think it must have been one of those shows that was only seen in English-speaking countries. Never fear, many episodes are available on YouTube! Here is perhaps my favorite episode of all time, 4-11, The Magic Sword, in its entirety. Just goofy, goofy fun, best viewed at late-night hours.

Tad, too, is a big fan; when we were at his house two weeks ago, there were many DVD episodes of MST3K in his garage, and he announced the Rifftrax spin-off on these boards back in 2008-ish.

#8 2016-08-22 01:07:13

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

I stayed up late on [whichever night it was] to watch MST3K with friends in college, during sophomore year.  (I'm pretty sure that was the Wolman 6W lounge.  The sophomore dorms were Wolman and McCoy, and each floor of each building was split into an East and West wing, each of which had a lounge with a TV and couches.  Everyone knew there was a schedule of particular shows that folks congregated for in different places on different nights.  I think Simpsons was Thu evening in McCoy 1E -- though that one may've had multiple locations, it's just that McCoy 1E was where I lived.)

Thanks for sharing your memories!

I watched MST3K in the early years in syndication on local channels; I don't remember the station I was watching in 1994-1995, but the channel I watched from 1995-1998(-ish) was KOLD-TV in Tucson, where they aired it late at night on... Sundays, I'm pretty sure. Then, for a while, they aired the Mystery Science Theater Hour, with Mike Nelson as "Jack Perkins" (I always wondered how the real Jack Perkins felt about being impersonated/skewered).

I definitely circulated tapes to my friends: The Magic Sword, Tormented, The Amazing Colossal Man, War of the Colossal Beast the Master Ninja series, and the hilarious short Mr. B Natural were among our favorites, but there were dozens of others.

I caught the last couple of seasons on the Sci-Fi channel circa 1999 or so, but only saw the feature film years later, when I ordered it on DVD.

I'd be happy to host a MST binge-watching day as a Smarchmoot, next time folks who are interested are out here...

I'm in! And many of the episodes are on YouTube, so it makes it pretty easy.

Haha! Great moment! I always enjoyed the musical numbers (one of my favorite moments in the link I shared above with Peter is the musical number featuring the hilarious song "Estelle", IMO, an all-time classic).

#9 2016-08-23 07:33:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

The new host will be Jonah Ray. Tom Servo will be portrayed by Baron Vaughn, and Crow will be Hampton Yount. No word on Gypsy, yet, but I can't imagine the show without all four bots. Sneak peek from the Kickstarter campaign.

#10 2016-08-23 09:50:00

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I've seen a handful of them in total... Most of the double reed studio as I was starting college were big fans, so we had a few dinner / movie nights with it. And I did enjoy the ones I've seen, it was just never something I went out of my way to watch. *shrug*

I'm in! And many of the episodes are on YouTube, so it makes it pretty easy.

For that, we could almost do a Skype / TinyChat e-moot! I don't use Skype, but I know TC has the ability to stream video right into the chat.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#11 2016-08-23 10:30:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

I've seen a handful of them in total... Most of the double reed studio as I was starting college were big fans, so we had a few dinner / movie nights with it. And I did enjoy the ones I've seen,

Yay!

For that, we could almost do a Skype / TinyChat e-moot! I don't use Skype, but I know TC has the ability to stream video right into the chat.

Would the video itself be on Skype?

#12 2016-08-29 11:02:49

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Felicia Day talks about her role on MST3K

The first thing I wanted to know from Day was whether she was a fan of the show growing up. Day said, “I was a huge fan growing up.” She talked about being home schooled when growing up with her brother but that they weren’t really that close with each other. The lone thing that brought them together was MST3K. Every Saturday it was a ritual to sit down together and watch it. She said, “It’s just a dream come true to be able to work on something that was so formative in my childhood.”

We next discussed how her being on the show came about. She said that she saw Joel Hodgson at the Salt Lake City Comic Con last year and approached him to get a selfie just to rub it in her brother’s face. Joel started talking to her about a possible reboot and a couple months later she got an email from him asking if she wanted to be in it.

I next asked if she was also going to be involved in the writing process, and she told me she has written on four episodes, and she wanted to do more. She said it was a dream come true to be able to write and act on something she is a huge fan of.

#13 2016-08-29 12:06:21

_Sahi_
Pilgrim

I've seen one or two episodes way back, when I came over for the New Orleans moot. At least the episode with the golf cart chase "why don't you get out? I'm sure running would be faster!" (Of course that's paraphrased.)

#14 2016-08-29 12:45:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

_Sahi_ wrote:

I've seen one or two episodes way back, when I came over for the New Orleans moot. At least the episode with the golf cart chase "why don't you get out? I'm sure running would be faster!" (Of course that's paraphrased.)

That might have been Hobgoblins, episode 9-07, the bad Gremlins rip-off, which had several very low-speed golf cart scenes, or maybe Space Mutiny, episode 9-20, which had a ridiculous "futuristic" golf cart chase scene. Or maybe several others.

#15 2016-08-29 12:49:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Funny video showing the end of the Kickstarter Campaign! Looks like all the bots will be present! And they're having such a good time, I can't imagine this project won't be great!

#16 2016-08-29 23:32:34

_Sahi_
Pilgrim

Space mutiny sounds about right, but I can't be certain of course.

#17 2016-09-06 14:11:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Mark Hamill and Jerry Seinfeld will be making appearances as well!

(Yes, the Mark Hamill of Star Wars fame, not Mike Nelson impersonating Mark Hamill!)

#18 2016-10-24 14:44:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

The new show has entered production!

#19 2017-02-26 23:09:29

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

The show starts April 14th on Netflix! What a birthday present!

#20 2017-04-18 11:16:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I haven't been able to watch yet, but it's on Netflix now!

#21 2017-04-18 12:53:58

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*is not getting excited as sure that it will not be on netflix UK*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#22 2017-04-19 10:33:56

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

*is not getting excited as sure that it will not be on netflix UK*

It's supposed to be on Netflix Global?

Board footer