Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD publication timeline

#1 2016-08-14 03:00:51

Olaf
Mantis
Website

THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD publication timeline

Tad Williams: The Last King of Osten Ard Publication Timeline

March 30th
Tad announces to a group of readers at his home that he will be writing a new Osten Ard book. At this point it is believed to be the long gestating A Chronicle in Stone, a story collection Tad hinted at many years ago.

July 12th
Tad reveals to three long-time readers in Stuttgart at the Dragon Days Festival in Germany that he will indeed be returning to Osten Ard with a complete trilogy. He also reveals the titles: The Witchwood Crown, Empire of Grass, The Navigator´s Children. The group of readers who knew the secret is expanded to seven shortly thereafter. These seven are informally and jokingly referred to as Scrollbearers.

April 2nd:
Press release from Daw Books (US) announcing THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD consisting of The Witchwood Crown, Empire of Grass and The Navigator´s Children. By the end of April, Williams announced that he already had 125 pages of the first draft of The Witchwood Crown completed.

April 22nd:
Press release from Hodder & Stoughton (UK) announcing the acquisition of THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD for the British market.

May 3rd:
Williams announces that he has 196 pages of The Witchwood Crown completed.

September 12th:
Williams announces that he has 400 pages of The Witchwood Crown completed.

October 21st:
Williams announces that he has 555 pages of The Witchwood Crown completed.

December 12th:
Williams announces that he has 800 pages of The Witchwood Crown completed.

December 17th:
Artist Michael Whelan, who created the artwork for all three original books in the MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN series, has announced that he will return to illustrate all three covers of the new trilogy.

January 17th:
Williams announces that he has 1000 pages of The Witchwood Crown completed.

February 4th:
Williams announces that he has 1100 pages of The Witchwood Crown completed. Th first draft is complete at 311.000 words. Revisions are to follow.

April:
German and Dutch translations rights to THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD were sold to Klett-Cotta and Luitingh respectively. Both publishers already have an established relationsship with Tad Williams.

May 28th:
Cover reveal of the new e-book editions of MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN (to be published August 6th, 2015) by Hodder & Stoughton. The new look was created by artist Ben Summers.

July:
Hodder & Stoughton announce the first English-language audiobook edition of The Dragonbone Chair (to be released digitally on August 6th, 2015). The subsequent volumes are scheduled as follows: Stone of Farewell (November 12th, 2015), To Green Angel Tower Part 1 (February 11th, 2016) and To Green Angel Tower Part 2 (May 12th, 2016). The unabridged readings are recorded by Andrew Wincott.   

August:
Deborah Beale, Tad Williams´s wife and business partner, announces that The Witchwood Crown will be published later than expexted. While there has never been an offical announcement regarding the publication date of the first book, it was widely expected to hit the shelves in spring 2016. The new publication date for the US and UK edition is now March 2017.

September 4th:
During a live Google Hangout for the „Read for Pixels“ project Tad Williams reads from The Witchwood Crown for the very first time.

September 11th:
Tad Williams „unoffically“ announces a fourth (short) new Osten Ard novel set between To Green Angel Tower and The Witchwood Crown on his Facebook account. This book has not been sold to a publisher yet and Williams is considering to self-publish. He expects the book to be released some time before The Witchwood Crown.

September 18th:
Tad Williams reveals the working title of the new fourth Osten Ard novel as Heart of Regret on his own offical message board on Tadwilliams.com. He notes, however, that the title may change before publication.

November 5th:
In the first edition of his new newsletter Tad Williams announces a new working title for the fourth book, The Heart of What Was Lost, and also that the book will be published by Daw Books  and Hodder & Stoughton (probably in late 2016). He also announces a second short Osten Ard novel as yet unnamed.

January 3rd:
The publication date for The Heart of What Was Lost has been moved to January 2017.

January 17th:
The title of the fifth Osten Ard novel has been revealed on Williams´s Facebook:The Shadow of Things to Come.

July 1st:
Williams reports that he has delivered the final manuscript of The Witchwood Crown to his publishers. The book is 340.000 words long, which means that during revision Williams added some 29.000 words.

July 5th:
A trade paperback re-issue of The Dragonbone Chair is published simultaneously with the first unabridged US audiobook recording. The re-issue features brand-new cover art by Michael Whelan and a new foreword by US publisher Betsy Wollheim. Re-issues of Stone of Farewell and To Green Angel Tower, also with new Whelan artwork, are scheduled for September 6th and November 1st respectively. Their respective audiobook recordings are again published simultaneously. The US audiobook publisher Penguin Random House Audio has licensed the British recordings by Andrew Wincott for these releases.

July25th:
The cover art for The Heart of What Was Lost is revealed. The artwork is by Michael Whelan.   

August 7th:
Williams revealed that The Shadow of Things to Come will be a prequel detailling the fall of Asu´a.

November 1st:
Williams announced that he has started writing Empire of Grass on November 1st.

January:
The Heart of What Was Lost is published in the USA and the UK.

March:
The Heart of What Was Lost is published in Germany.

May:
The Heart of What Was Lost is published in the Netherlands.

June 1st:
Deborah Beale announces on Twitter that Tad is about 2/3 through a first draft of Empire of Grass and expects to deliver the draft to his publishers at the end of summer/early fall.

June:
The Witchwood Crown is published in the US (June 27th) and the UK (June 29th).

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2016-08-14 06:25:43

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Re: THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD publication timeline

Is The Shadow of Things to Come what we originally thought would be a short novel between two of the TLK novels?

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#3 2016-08-14 08:28:21

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Yes.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2016-08-15 01:32:46

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Thanks for doing this, Olaf!

Here's another one:

March 30th, 2013: Tad announces to readers at his home that he will be writing a new Osten Ard novel. (I looked it up and it happened HERE).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2016-08-15 09:36:18

ylvs
Mantis

No, Firs, you misremember. We talked about Chronicles in Stone as a still possible future project but it was all up in the air and not specific at all.

The first time Tad talked to someone beside Deb and his agent about the new Osten Ard books was on 13/07/12 in Stuttgart. I had just come from hospital being diagnosed with MS and met Tad, Olaf and Magpie at Tad's hotel. It was here he told us of TLK and shared the names of the novels as well.
What I did not realise at the time was that the reason he told us about it was to cheer me up after the devastating news that I had a mean chronic disease (with then severe symptoms). And that truly was a game changer. What would have been the crappiest in my life turned into something wonderful as well. My fav story would be continued. Oh what joy. The mashup of the two made my attitude to stupid disease much more positive than it would have been from the very beginning.
I got permission to share the huge news with Firs and cyan and later that year when we all met in Brighton for wfc Sahi and Libra were told as well.

That was seven Smarchers who knew the big secret which we kept until DAW announced the deal in April 14.
Because we were 7 we called ourselves the Scrollbearers and that is where this came from.

No revisionist history!

*giggles*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#6 2016-08-15 10:02:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Stuttgart should definitely be mentioned, since it was the first time we heard it would be another trilogy.

But Tad did say he'd be going back to Osten Ard before that, as Firs posted.

(I mostly remembered that because I posted about it on my blog, then made the post private after Stuttgart, and public again after the official announcement.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#7 2016-08-15 17:12:09

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yes, what Magpie said! :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#8 2016-11-01 22:59:09

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Added some entries: about Tad starting with EOG and the original reveal of the new books in 2013.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#9 2016-11-02 01:53:49

ylvs
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Stuttgart should definitely be mentioned, since it was the first time we heard it would be another trilogy.

But Tad did say he'd be going back to Osten Ard before that, as Firs posted.

(I mostly remembered that because I posted about it on my blog, then made the post private after Stuttgart, and public again after the official announcement.)

I missed this post before.

This does not contradict what I said. The book he talked about back then was still Chronicles in Stone. Nothing about going back to the MST characters 30 years later. No word of seeing Simon, Binabik and the rest again. At least not when the three of us were talking on the deck. If you had another private conversation Firs, you did not share your secret.

*eyes the Duke sternly*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#10 2016-11-02 04:22:29

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Are you really arguing, Ylvs, that Olaf should delete the first item on this list, the announcement of a return to writing in Osten Ard, because the result of the writing process turned out differently than expected? That would be revisionist history, IMO!

#11 2016-11-02 05:53:47

ylvs
Mantis

No, not at all as Olaf reports it exactly as it was. 

You were the one arguing against my claim that there is a difference between a quite possible return to Osten Ard and a very precise plan of writing a three (hahaha) volume sequel to MST.
Like the difference between I might cook something for dinner tonight and we'll have minestrone for starters, a mushroom risotto as main course and homemade strawberry ice-cream for dessert.

Scrollbearer

#12 2016-11-02 06:15:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

No, not at all as Olaf reports it exactly as it was.

Olaf seems to have copied and pasted the text I wrote, changing the word "novel" to "book", and adding in the info I linked in my post.

You were the one arguing against my claim that there is a difference between a quite possible return to Osten Ard and a very precise plan of writing a three (hahaha) volume sequel to MST.

I didn't write that at all. Where did I write that?

#13 2016-11-03 00:50:51

ylvs
Mantis

Going back now I notice that I do not read what I remember having read.

Which ives two possibilities:

You meanly editied your post.

My brain played trick on me.

Given your utter integrety and my mushy brain it is the latter.

Sorry. GAAAH!

*ponders to delete all this*

*doesn't*

Scrollbearer

#14 2016-11-03 08:46:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

No editing occurred, I assure you!

And I've got a pretty mushy brain, too, Johnno. ;)

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD publication timeline

Board footer