Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-08-12 16:30:09

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - California

Hope you get a good seat, Firsfron. Would that be a wing seat in this case?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#52 2016-08-12 16:30:56

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves at Firs*

#53 2016-08-12 16:37:28

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*peeks back in after bath*

Save the pope, Firs!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#54 2016-08-12 21:58:01

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Olaf wrote:

I am offically on vacation for the next three weeks and started by drinking one of my bosses under the table tonight. After 5 cocktails she admitted defeat!

Somehow that doesn't fit the usual Olaf picture you present here :D

Any plans for the vacation?
(I initially typed "Any planes for the vacation?", which kinda works too)

I usually don´t drink alcohol at all, but I still have the ability to drink large quantities of it. This sometimes surprises people:-)

I have lots to do in the next three weeks, but I am not going away. I´ll spend some time with my family in my hometown, though. Lots of resting, doing nothing, reading books, watching tv....

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#55 2016-08-12 23:04:10

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Hope you get a good seat, Firsfron. Would that be a wing seat in this case?

Riding on the wing doesn't sound very aerodynamic. ;)

I had a Save the Pope, and am now tucked in bed. Zzzzzzz!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#56 2016-08-12 23:46:59

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Getting ready for day two of our hiking weekend. My knee is giving me some twinges, so I'm glad we'll have for days to recover after this. I'm guessing it was caused by all the word steps we head to take because of the extremely much path yesterday. So I'll just bring my hiking poles today.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#57 2016-08-13 00:10:57

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Weird steps and muddy path maybe? Your mobile posts are like puzzles sometimes :-D
Swiping or just plain autocorrect silliness?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#58 2016-08-13 01:13:38

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I can never decide whether to be jealous of people who have a high tolerance, or thankful that I can save money by getting thoroughly tipsy on just one drink (and outright goofy drunk on two).

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#59 2016-08-13 01:29:56

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sleep is so nice...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#60 2016-08-13 04:49:14

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Riding on the wing doesn't sound very aerodynamic. ;)

Maybe not - but it is more fuuuunnnnn ;)

#61 2016-08-13 04:52:38

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

project 'BJD uchikake' started :) I finished the patterns this morning and cut the outer fabric. Next is neaten the fabric and plan embroideries...yay

#62 2016-08-13 05:04:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Fictional worlds crossed in my dreams last night. I watched the first few episodes of Kings, plus I've been reading A Feast for Crows. So somehow these two merged, and I was talking to Jack while walking down a road through a city, telling him he shouldn't be jealous of King Tommen, that being a king wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

It might've had something to do with the maple syrup french fries I had... My husband went to go hang out with a friend last night, and on his way back, he asked if I wanted anything from Wendy's, because he was going to stop. Yeah, sure, an order of fries, it was going to be later so I didn't want much food, just a little snack. One Wendy's was closed, the other had their drive thru closed and there was a huge line of people inside, so we went to McDonald's. And apparently they had some... issue... because when he got home and gave me my fries, they tasted a bit like maple syrup... And because he was still hungry, he made cheesy garlic bread, so I had some of that, too :D

Just remembered this, and something from Tad when we were talking on Skype: "We're building a wall, to keep those Canadians out! They steal all our jobs and put maple syrup on everything!"

- Tad

#63 2016-08-13 05:28:39

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Good maen!

It is going to be super hot. It is already 80 (26.7C) at 7:30!

#64 2016-08-13 06:23:10

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'll gladly take some of that heat!

- Tad

#65 2016-08-13 06:43:07

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I had a Save the Pope, and am now tucked in bed. Zzzzzzz!

Hope the dragon didn't stop for a snack or a village burning on the way home. I hear they are really hard to train.

#66 2016-08-13 06:44:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Good luck with your project, Kia!

Time to go back to my own. Which right now is to make things blurry, because for some silly reason I think that will look good.

#67 2016-08-13 07:23:14

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Kia wrote:

project 'BJD uchikake' started :) I finished the patterns this morning and cut the outer fabric. Next is neaten the fabric and plan embroideries...yay

Yay! I am curious how it turns out. The doll is very pretty. :)

#68 2016-08-13 07:24:59

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

*Waves a big fan around to send heat to Magpie*

Don't know if this is working....

I got groceries. I made it a quick trip by getting off across the street (giant American busy street, probably .25 miles from one bus stop to the other) 10 minutes quickly shopping while the driver took her break, and catching the bus when it got to the grocery store. It seems more efficient than waiting for the bus to get to the grocery store, then have an hour to wait for the next. (Though I do like to chill at Starbucks...)

#69 2016-08-13 07:30:04

Merenwen
Pilgrim

So everyone is doing something productive, huh?

As always, I am just being lazy and haven't planned anything this weekend. I am going to spend my time with eating, sleeping, more eating, watching Fullmetal Alchemist and playing Dark Souls II.

#70 2016-08-13 07:32:02

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

An hour in between busses is pretty annoying :/
Walking there and timing it for the bus back seems like a solid plan to deal with that.

#71 2016-08-13 07:33:04

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Marian wrote:

*Waves a big fan around to send heat to Magpie*

Can I have something, too? We already had to put the heating back on here!

#72 2016-08-13 07:33:10

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

As always, I am just being lazy and haven't planned anything this weekend. I am going to spend my time with eating, sleeping, more eating, watching Fullmetal Alchemist and playing Dark Souls II.

Ha. No. I am going to work on my "game". Which may never be a game. And it's certainly not productive :D

Are you making good progress with Dark Souls II?

#73 2016-08-13 07:41:15

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

Ha. No. I am going to work on my "game". Which may never be a game. And it's certainly not productive :D

Are you making good progress with Dark Souls II?

I have some problems with a boss, so I am going to explore another area first and come back at a later time when I am stronger or have better equipment. But my progress isn't that bad so far.

However, it is certainly not as good as the first game, I think.

#74 2016-08-13 07:49:43

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

One of my goals is to embrace laziness more easily on the weekend. :) I am just sitting on my balcony now. It feels really nice in the shade! But the sun is creeping up on me, and I am sliding over like a vampire trying to avoid it.

#75 2016-08-13 07:51:23

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

An hour in between busses is pretty annoying :/
Walking there and timing it for the bus back seems like a solid plan to deal with that.

Yeah, I think it's going to be my  new plan, unless I want to enjoy a leisurely breakfast at Panera.

Board footer