Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-04-09 08:48:35

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Castlefest 2017

Dragons, the little black dress of castlefest costumes... :D

#52 2017-04-09 10:07:27

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

That's how I'm "making" my costume as well.... extendable.... I want to be able to re-use bits later... First thought about making a full on fire dress/skirt... but then when will I wear it again?? So now I'm buying/making the bits to be sure that in another combination they can be used as well.

I have one shiny only though....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#53 2017-04-09 13:25:45

Sahi
Mantis
Website

No problem whatsoever. It would be really cool, if we could all tell stories over the years about all the shinies and where we got them. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#54 2017-04-09 13:52:45

Mantis

"The Shiny" story!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#55 2017-04-11 18:00:16

Mantis

Okay it's been decided.... my second costume is going to be a Aditu cosplay.... with Kia's drawing as the basis. (I will not be the Sithi of perfection, cause I'm not that pretty, but I'll do my best to be glowy and such)

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#56 2017-04-11 22:37:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Awesome!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#57 2017-04-12 00:24:35

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Totally awesome! I can't wait to see the costume when it's done!

By the way, my offer to sleep at my place still stands. Right now I don't have anyone staying over yet, so there's plenty of space. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#58 2017-04-21 13:20:39

Mantis

I'll check with Ruben!!

Oh... my light-purple wig has arrived and it's AMAZING!!!

Also.... the first weekend of August HAS to be nice weather.... my clothing is not suitable for the cold or the rain... *lip trembles*

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#59 2017-05-03 05:56:40

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Also.... the first weekend of August HAS to be nice weather.... my clothing is not suitable for the cold or the rain... *lip trembles*

Neither is mine. I think if both of us pray to the weather gods, that should do the trick, though. *nods*

I bought a whole bunch of feathers and have some vague ideas on how to twist my Greenangel Tower dress into an Air Element dress. Now I just have to find the motivation to actually do it.

#60 2017-06-22 09:46:06

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Well. I'll be coming to Castlefest by myself after all. LG is still job-hunting, so he won't be able to get the time off if he finds a new job by then, and best friend can't find anyone to leave Squirrel with for the weekend, and her boyfriend can't get the time off either.

So I'll go buy myself a train ticket today... which is slightly frustrating, because apparently the night train I always took does not exist any more. At least I can't find it. So I either have to change trains at ridiculous times of the night, or travel during the day and arrive Thursday evening. Whichever is cheaper, I guess.

Also, going by myself leads to a stupid problem... I want to bring my witch costume again, but I won't be able to bring my broom on the plane to Worldcon, and I don't have anyone to send it back to Austria with...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#61 2017-06-22 12:07:51

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Affordable train tickets have been found, I'll be in Amsterdam at about 8:30 on Thursday evening.
Still very grumpy that the night train does not exist any more, because this means I'll have to take an extra day off work.

- Tad

#62 2017-06-22 13:18:34

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie, do not fear! Bring your witch costume!
When we bought this house we got all kinds of garden stuff with it for free - a collection of sandstone poultry, ancient bottles of herbicides and ... a witch broom! I'll make sure that you'll have it for castle fest, if you want it.
Although I don't see why you can't take a broom on a plane. Seems like a perfectly sensible thing to do...

#63 2017-06-22 13:52:01

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Oh, that would be fantastic, xavie!

- Tad

#64 2017-06-22 14:23:44

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

You guys know how to buy the right house :-D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#65 2017-06-22 23:22:20

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Guess I'll have to go and find some inflatable beds to borrow then! *bounces*

Scrollbearer

#66 2017-06-23 18:30:23

cyan
Mantis

I am sad that LG cannot make it.  :-(  I was really looking forward to meeting him.

In other news, I have begun working on my costume for Castlefest.  I don't think I mentioned here what my costume will be:  Disco Queen Utuk'ku.  Because I had to throw in a twist.  More costume info over at my Blue Tailor thread.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#67 2017-06-27 03:30:05

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hey, that means you all land nearly at the same time. I'll have to talk to Ivo, but I might be able to pick you up from the airport then.

Scrollbearer

#68 2017-07-01 01:29:23

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yikes, found out today that I hand't yet bought a ticket. Just did so now. Fortunately they weren't sold out yet.

Scrollbearer

#69 2017-07-01 01:29:44

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oh, and I will indeed be able to pick you up from the airport.

Scrollbearer

#70 2017-07-03 02:31:03

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Worked a bit more on the graffiti I want to embroider on my costume. So far I have 'culture club' and 'no wrinkles'. Going to make a simple 'wicked tribe' tag next.

Scrollbearer

#71 2017-07-06 09:01:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

There appears to be a problem with our booking of the apartment. Nothing that won't be solved, but we won't be staying in the apartment we booked. There was something about renovations, and a family staying for another two months, or something. They are going to offer us an alternative. As soon as I have the details, I will sent them by mail. (The guy on the phone was talking about something more luxurious, near the sea. I told him we would mostly be visiting the conference center, so he asked me to mail him which one.)

Scrollbearer

#72 2017-07-09 01:44:03

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yesterday I realized that as LG is coming too, we won't all fit into the car with the luggage. So I talked it through and we came up with the solution of picking up the luggage by car, and then I'll come with you all to take the train to my place (as I know my way around tickets and trains).

Scrollbearer

#73 2017-07-23 02:47:02

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

I just bought tickets for friday  \o/

#74 2017-07-23 10:29:44

ylvs
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

There appears to be a problem with our booking of the apartment. Nothing that won't be solved, but we won't be staying in the apartment we booked. There was something about renovations, and a family staying for another two months, or something. They are going to offer us an alternative. As soon as I have the details, I will sent them by mail. (The guy on the phone was talking about something more luxurious, near the sea. I told him we would mostly be visiting the conference center, so he asked me to mail him which one.)

Did it happen with Castlefest as well or is this wrongthreadpostiness and you're talking about world con?

#75 2017-07-23 12:38:33

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Nope, wrong thread. No cancellations for castlefest as I own the overnight place. :)

Scrollbearer

Board footer