Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-07-31 03:10:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM-Under the Sea

I am surprised how hard it is to unearth any of that information.

Found it, finally. Good god, DirectX9 is a mess of capability bits and format queries and almost no firm requirements by the standard. I doubt anyone ever coded to the standard... best you could do was take the Nvidia and ATI hardware of the day, test their capabilities and hope they didn't regress in the future.

I am pretty sure they fixed that in DX10 and actually required a larget set of reasonable capabilities that all products had to support.

And FP16 framebuffers were apparently first supported on the Nvidia 6800 series.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#27 2016-07-31 03:13:06

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi wrote:

No, on my phone I can't install the app at all, the Android version is too old.

That sounds pretty annoying :/

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#28 2016-07-31 03:34:24

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I've already been to the garden to sow some beans, and to the train station bookstore. Now, lots more to do at home. But it is so hot, I don't want to move ever again...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#29 2016-07-31 03:52:44

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*sends some cool breezes Magpie's way*

We have 17 degrees and windy. Supposed to have showers soon...
I might head out into the city later... maybe pick up The Cursed Child?

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#30 2016-07-31 04:14:27

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

G'maen *pokes her head out of the waves*

Facing a day full of digitalisation of receipies and sewing instructions and then the computer, which is supposed to serve as scanning station decides to die a silent but messy death *sighs wearily*. So I took the scanner to my main desktop computer only to face the problem that there are no more working USB slots  left to attach the scanner to. After some cable-rearrangement, driver installing and so on, the scanner is working. However I won't move for a while for I'm now surrounded by a cocoon of usb cables *is tied to her chair by usb cables*

Sahi, how frustrating! All necessary devices are there - but they don't want to talk with each other like spoiled children.

Peter, good luck with facing the code pixies today! Even though according to your description of the standard it sounds more like a 10.000 pieces puzzle to me...

Kenan, I hope you weren't too rattled by your sea-wind experience. I once read a very nice poem, which stated that wind is 'only sky which is daring skin contact'...Seeing it this way you got a very big sky-cuddle yesterday :-)

*sends another cool breeze to Magpie*

Last edited by Kia (2016-07-31 04:17:43)

#31 2016-07-31 04:41:06

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*basks in the cool breeze*

I have work to do on the balcony. Even more ridiculously hot out there.

It's days like this that I wish I was a guy... then I could take my shirt off when I'm on the balcony. *considers putting on her swimsuit instead*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#32 2016-07-31 04:45:43

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

It's days like this that I wish I was a guy... then I could take my shirt off when I'm on the balcony. *considers putting on her swimsuit instead*

Well, when wearing a bra, sunburns on the chest are ...well...uncomfortable. So completely 'bare chest' might not an option even without the 'ogling factor'. For me, thin wide tank shirts and shorts work best...fit sitting clothes make me sweat like crazy *faints*

Last edited by Kia (2016-07-31 04:46:16)

#33 2016-07-31 04:49:32

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It seems you really like your USB devices, Kia :D . Modern computers have a lot of slots (doesn't sound like you are using a laptop), so you probably have a lot of devices connected. And in my experience all cables will tie themselves into a not, no matter what you do.

If there are mutliple cables in the same space, they will intertwine to make a better knot.
Untangling them without disconnecting all but one is impossible, even though they were perfectly separate when you connected them.

Or maybe that's just me and my cables :D

#34 2016-07-31 04:57:53

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Well, when wearing a bra, sunburns on the chest are ...well...uncomfortable. So completely 'bare chest' might not an option even without the 'ogling factor'. For me, thin wide tank shirts and shorts work best...fit sitting clothes make me sweat like crazy *faints*

I have pretty strong sunscreen.

- Tad

#35 2016-07-31 04:59:55

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

Peter, good luck with facing the code pixies today! Even though according to your description of the standard it sounds more like a 10.000 pieces puzzle to me...

I won't have to code against that standard, fortunately. I am just doing archaeology. Because I like knowing useless things.

What got my curiosity up was the lack of floating point render targets in OpenGL ES 2.0 (which is the basis of WebGL, which is what I intend to use). I thought those were available since DirectX 9.0, but it turns out I was wrong and they were introduced with DX9.0c hardware. It is still ridiculous. We've had that stuff since 2004 on the desktop.

#36 2016-07-31 05:16:46

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

It seems you really like your USB devices, Kia :D . Modern computers have a lot of slots (doesn't sound like you are using a laptop), so you probably have a lot of devices connected.

Being a techi down in my heart, I tend to have a lot of gadges for everything. The problem with my computer is its age - it is 6 years by now, and some of the ports already died. At the moment I have a keybord, a mousse, a printer, a plotter, a scanner(since today) and a usb hub (which is connected to the blue tooth adapter) permanently attached to my PC. My tablet, handy and SLR camera join from time to time. Alot cables to knot yourself into :-)

Peter wrote:

And in my experience all cables will tie themselves into a not, no matter what you do.

If there are mutliple cables in the same space, they will intertwine to make a better knot.
Untangling them without disconnecting all but one is impossible, even though they were perfectly separate when you connected them.

Or maybe that's just me and my cables :D

My usb cables seem to be of the same breed - however, they decided to include me in the fun and thus they wind themself around my chair whenever they can...I fear I have to glue them in place...

#37 2016-07-31 05:36:09

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

What got my curiosity up was the lack of floating point render targets in OpenGL ES 2.0 (which is the basis of WebGL, which is what I intend to use). I thought those were available since DirectX 9.0, but it turns out I was wrong and they were introduced with DX9.0c hardware. It is still ridiculous. We've had that stuff since 2004 on the desktop.

Luckily for me SAP does generate it UIs itself :-) I always considered game programing were tempting. However my own little steps are limited to RPG maker - no graphic related programming there as well...

#38 2016-07-31 05:36:23

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I think the glue will just add to the mess...

Finished the embroidery of six sets of wings, only one set left. But I'm going to work on the stilts bag first. It would be nice if it was strong enough to actually carry the stilts.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#39 2016-07-31 05:43:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

Being a techi down in my heart, I tend to have a lot of gadges for everything. The problem with my computer is its age - it is 6 years by now, and some of the ports already died. At the moment I have a keybord, a mousse, a printer, a plotter, a scanner(since today) and a usb hub (which is connected to the blue tooth adapter) permanently attached to my PC. My tablet, handy and SLR camera join from time to time. Alot cables to knot yourself into :-)

That doesn't sound too bad, though dying USB ports sound weird. I don't think I've killed one yet. Are the circuits fried (in which case you might have spare headers on the mainboard to switch to) or did you wear down the gold plating so they don't make good contact anymore?

PCs just last forever these days. No reason to replace a 6 year old machine as long as you upgrade a thing here and there. I'm almost posessed with PC performance and I still kept my PC for 5 years and I can only feel the difference in a few situations. Of course I do upgrade the video card more often for games and I wouldn't be happy with a 5 year old SSD.

#40 2016-07-31 05:44:51

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi wrote:

I think the glue will just add to the mess...

probably :-/ I am doing my best with adhesive tape meanwhile - at least the usb is not skidding over the desk any longer...*stares down to usb hub*

Sahi wrote:

Finished the embroidery of six sets of wings, only one set left. But I'm going to work on the stilts bag first. It would be nice if it was strong enough to actually carry the stilts.

Are these hand-embroideries or maschine-embroideries? *is curious*

#41 2016-07-31 05:47:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Do you use the plotter for crafting projects? It's never been a common peripheral and I assume they are even more rare these days. Only used them in school to print schematics (like 3 times in 5 years).

#42 2016-07-31 05:48:41

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

How much is there to do on the costume, Sahi? Sounds like a lot of work overall. Is it a modification of last year's costume, or entirely new?

#43 2016-07-31 05:54:41

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

That doesn't sound too bad, though dying USB ports sound weird. I don't think I've killed one yet. Are the circuits fried (in which case you might have spare headers on the mainboard to switch to) or did you wear down the gold plating so they don't make good contact anymore?

Honestly, I have no clue where the problem might be. I always had spare ports left so I didn't invest much time to search for the error. The board looks fine on the first view - but since some of the ports in question flicker to life now and then only to die again I would suspect a contact related problem.

Peter wrote:

PCs just last forever these days. No reason to replace a 6 year old machine as long as you upgrade a thing here and there. I'm almost posessed with PC performance and I still kept my PC for 5 years and I can only feel the difference in a few situations. Of course I do upgrade the video card more often for games and I wouldn't be happy with a 5 year old SSD.

A SSD is something that might find its way into the computer before long - the only thing which scares me off at the moment is this whole 'reinstalling' of the system. Never change a running system *shudders*

Fortunately, my gaming is happening on my PS4 only therefore I do not need to upgrade the system so often :-)

#44 2016-07-31 05:58:02

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

Do you use the plotter for crafting projects? It's never been a common peripheral and I assume they are even more rare these days. Only used them in school to print schematics (like 3 times in 5 years).

They are getting more popular these days due to scrap-booking scene. I got mine earlier this year to cut patterns for fabric painting but I also cut paper things like cards.

#45 2016-07-31 06:00:57

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

If the SSD is big enough to hold the system partition, you can just clone it. If it's not, you'd have to shuffle around data, which makes thing a little more scary. I think my last 2 Windows installations were on at least 2 different discs, maybe 3 and the same goes for my work PC.

#46 2016-07-31 06:04:06

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

They are getting more popular these days due to scrap-booking scene. I got mine earlier this year to cut patterns for fabric painting but I also cut paper things like cards.

I had to google scrapbooking...

As for gadgets, I am surprisingly immune to those. I think the only USB devices I have connected are a mouse and sometimes a headset as well as the external backup HDD (only connected while doing a backup, which reminds me that I do not have backups since I upgraded to Windows 10...).

#47 2016-07-31 06:06:57

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Good maen!

I have a 10 a.m. coffee date. Nervous!

#48 2016-07-31 06:12:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

Luckily for me SAP does generate it UIs itself :-) I always considered game programing were tempting. However my own little steps are limited to RPG maker - no graphic related programming there as well...

Firsfron has done a lot of work on an Osten Ard RPG in RPG maker. He is using an older version on the PS2 and breaking the hell out of it (the project is probably an order of magnitude larger than what the RPG maker devs had in mind).

#49 2016-07-31 06:13:02

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Good luck, Marian!

#50 2016-07-31 06:17:53

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

I had to google scrapbooking...

well, I guess out of 10 scrapbookers, 9,99 are woman - so no surprise here :-) I did never tried scrapbooking - I consider fabric-based works for useful *shrugs*

Peter wrote:

As for gadgets, I am surprisingly immune to those. I think the only USB devices I have connected are a mouse and sometimes a headset as well as the external backup HDD (only connected while doing a backup, which reminds me that I do not have backups since I upgraded to Windows 10...).

Well, at least I do not have a usb based coffee warmer ;-)

My external HDD is linked to the NAS server and thus not blocking on of my usb ports...

I'm off now to the kitchen - I have to prepare another birthday cake ...

Board footer