Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-23 12:03:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Smarch happy news station

Goooood moooorning, Shadowmarch!

Today we are celebrating the opening of our brand new, and let's not forget shiny, news station. We're the station that brings you all the happy news! Whether it's the news about the release of a trailer of American Gods or our own smarcher Maladroit getting a new puppy, this is the place you hear it first. (Although the mint might beat us to it... But let's ignore that niggling little fact.)

There is however a minor caveat, you have all been signed up as volunteer reporters, so bring it on!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2016-07-23 15:00:40

ylvs
Mantis

Re: Smarch happy news station

Oh, this is lovely, Sahi.

Exactly what we need!

Thankyou.

Happy news: all luggage for Baychester is packed!

#3 2016-07-23 17:16:11

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I was at a class reunion for the last 8 hours and it was good.
Chatted some, played Frisbee, had food and chatted a lot more.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#4 2016-07-24 10:01:55

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit got a new puppy? Pics or it didn't happen!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2016-07-24 13:15:33

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Happy News: I lost all the board games I played today, but had a great time nonetheless.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#6 2016-07-24 20:29:52

Maladroit
Pilgrim

"getting" a new puppy. She had a runny nose last week, so they put her on antibiotics and postponed the spaying process until this week.

Hopefully, we will bring her home Wednesday! After I wrap my floor in training pads...twice.

Oh, and there will be photos. Yes, there will.

Other good news: my husband can not play checkers in his current condition, but he can play connect-4! Hooray! Something to do together besides talk back to the TV.

#7 2016-07-24 22:35:18

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Happy news: I took a vacation day tomorrow, so I get a three day weekend. Woo!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#8 2016-07-25 10:01:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

There is now a rumor that there might be a chance of spotting three different Tad-book-related costumes at the castlefest festival in two weeks time!

Scrollbearer

#9 2016-07-25 10:17:28

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Something I didn't get around to posting about on Friday, but which I'm pretty proud of: I finally stood up to one of my most annoying customers.

I've disliked this guy from the start, because he always gives me that feeling that, since I'm young and female, I'm there more as decoration than as a competent worker, and since he always puts his arm around me when he tells me what he wants to buy. Not sexual enough that you want to say something about it when you're shy and new at the job, and the longer you let it slide, the harder it gets to say something...

Anyway. He was there on Friday, and had put some mulch in his car, and the boss was coming over to ring him up. And the guy sees me near the register and calls to the boss, "Oh, it's fine, the girlie is here."

Girlie? I would have hated being called that even when I actually was a little girl.

So I took his money and then told him, "I'm a little too old to be called 'girlie'."

Got the usual rubbish about how women all like it when they're mistaken for younger, and so it's fine, he can still call me that.

And I told him I didn't like it.

It was a little scary - I don't like confrontations with customers - but I'm glad I did it.

And that means the next time he puts his arm around me or anything, I will hopefully be less scared of telling him I don't like that either.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#10 2016-07-25 11:06:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ugh! Customers putting their arms around you?! That's ridiculous.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#11 2016-07-25 11:10:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit wrote:

"getting" a new puppy. She had a runny nose last week, so they put her on antibiotics and postponed the spaying process until this week.

Hopefully, we will bring her home Wednesday! After I wrap my floor in training pads...twice.

Oh, and there will be photos. Yes, there will.

Other good news: my husband can not play checkers in his current condition, but he can play connect-4! Hooray! Something to do together besides talk back to the TV.

I missed something. What happened to your husband, Maladroit? (And I loved Connect Four as a kid; we got it because of this commercial).

#12 2016-07-25 11:38:41

Maladroit
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I missed something. What happened to your husband, Maladroit? (And I loved Connect Four as a kid; we got it because of this commercial).

Ongoing, not a Happy News Station subject. I will put in the Mint for you.

I forget why we had this, it's a travel version, possibly for one of our longer road trips to bring oldest to/from institutions of higher education.

#13 2016-07-25 11:40:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit wrote:

I forget why we had this, it's a travel version, possibly for one of our longer road trips to bring oldest to/from institutions of higher education.

I had the travel version, too. Cool that there's something you can do together besides watch (or shout at) the TV. :)

#14 2016-07-25 17:28:58

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

Something I didn't get around to posting about on Friday, but which I'm pretty proud of: I finally stood up to one of my most annoying customers..

Woohoo! Good for you! Maybe someday people will understand (1) personal space, and (2) equality. One person at a time...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#15 2016-08-01 01:43:56

Sahi
Mantis
Website

This weekend I went on a 17km hike. Very lovely. Added another two flowers to my inaturalist account: bellflowers and calinsogas. I also took a nice picture of a common blue (butterfly). So that was my first non-plant that went into the inaturalist account. (That site really is a bit like pokemon go, but with less rules.)

I've also just heard that my current project is extended for another ten weeks. Which I consider to be good news, as it's a nice client and a nice project.

Scrollbearer

#16 2016-08-15 08:44:11

Maladroit
Pilgrim

PUPPY Photos!!!

I think y'all can see these:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maladroit … ed-public/

The house training is going well, she's mostly okay sleeping in the crate at night, the "no biting" training is not going so well. Good thing she's adorable.

Those ears make me wonder about the Golden Retriever/Yellow Labrador lineage the humane society indicated. Vet suggested she might have some husky in her, based on her muzzle?

#17 2016-08-15 08:55:53

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Aaawww, she is adorable!

#18 2016-08-15 12:11:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

So cute, Maladroit!

I had a nice bike ride and a walk in the forest and found some interesting plants.

And pizza, which turned out very well today. (The dough always varies a bit, and my oven is ... not the best, so the whole process is a bit tricky.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#19 2016-08-15 13:11:12

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I hiked 35km this weekend and had barely any muscle aches!

Scrollbearer

#20 2016-08-15 14:50:06

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I just made Kia's apple-marzipan jam. *licks the pot*

- Tad

#21 2016-08-15 15:14:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit wrote:

PUPPY Photos!!!

The house training is going well, she's mostly okay sleeping in the crate at night, the "no biting" training is not going so well. Good thing she's adorable.

Those ears make me wonder about the Golden Retriever/Yellow Labrador lineage the humane society indicated. Vet suggested she might have some husky in her, based on her muzzle?

OMG, she's so adorable!

*dies of cuteness overload*

As you say, the ears don't look right for a golden or lab. Whatever she is, she's gorgeous!

#22 2016-08-15 22:18:56

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Maladroit wrote:

PUPPY Photos!!!

Oh my god! she is incredible CUTE! *falls over from cuteness overload*

#23 2016-08-15 22:19:48

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

I just made Kia's apple-marzipan jam. *licks the pot*

(^___________^)

#24 2016-08-16 01:22:20

Sahi
Mantis
Website

My chair has been given a green light by my therapist. Though he was a bit surprised by the fact that I was brazen enough to actually bring my office chair along. Apparently nobody had thought to do that before.

Scrollbearer

#25 2016-08-16 02:33:56

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Not too surprising, given how heavy and cumbersome those are.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

Board footer