Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-18 05:22:08

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

The Drawing Studio

Nearby the Oxygen Bar & Needlework Shop and Through the Looking Glass, a new building has appeared. Or rather, you've finally noticed a building where there may or may not have been one before. It's rather off on it's own, so perhaps you just haven't ever looked in this direction.

The first floor has floor-to-ceiling windows instead of walls, all the way around. Most of the curtains are still drawn, providing privacy, but a few have been flung back to reveal it's secrets. Peering inside, there are large tables set up, covered with various sizes and shades of paper, as well as pencils and erasers scattered throughout. Along one wall is a short display. Some semi-brave, budding artist has decided to show off their work!

You walk around to the south side of the building and find a wood carving next to a large set of double doors. "The Drawing Studio", this carving proclaims. Curious, you pull the doors open and walk inside.

You draw back some more of the curtains to let in some early morning sunlight, and pause once you find yourself in front of Tamichu's Gallery. (Descriptions to follow, once I have more time.)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#2 2016-05-18 07:13:08

ylvs
Mantis

Re: The Drawing Studio

Ohhhhh, a new place!

*looks around*

Niiiice!

#3 2016-05-18 07:35:41

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*admires all the artwork*

*hurries out and comes back with a vase full of flowers under one arm, and a pedestal-like object under another*

*places the vase on the pedestal in front of an empty canvas and rearranges the flowers a bit*

Welcome to the neighborhood!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#4 2016-05-18 12:18:05

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*admires the pictures*

Oh wow, awesome, Aditu!

And welcome to the Neighborhood!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#5 2016-05-18 14:01:15

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Sweet! I'm so glad you made this place, I was thinking about it yesterday (that you should open a studio in the neighborhood) and wondering if we'd ever made such a place for art and such. Very cool!

*walks around drooling over all the shiny art supplies*

And the drawings look wonderful as well, thanks for sharing them. I will definitely troll through and look more carefully. Look forward to seeing more!

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#6 2016-05-18 17:20:40

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*phew*

Ok. I added titles and descriptions. And I rotated the sideways ones.

I know there's the Art subforum, but that's directed specifically towards Tad-art, so it sounds like redNat and I were on the same wavelength :)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#7 2016-05-18 21:04:56

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Very cool to see your evolving ideas for the castle. And the hand sketches are really nice!

How did that class turn out, was it fun & worthwhile? Maybe this question belongs in the Mint... *wanders*

#8 2016-05-19 04:19:03

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

It belongs wherever you ask it! :)

The class was fun. Learned a couple interesting things about shading. It ended up being only me & an older gentlemen, who taught art for a number of years, and he had to leave early to meet his son for dinner, so it was just me & the teacher for a bit, so we got to sit down and talk about drawing portraits a bit. She gave me her card, she's got a studio in the next suburb over and is going to try to start up her own classes, and I told her I was interested if she did and to give me a call if she was going to start something. It's one thing to figure stuff out relatively on your own, it's another to stare at your drawing and wonder "Why doesn't this look right?" and not be able to figure it out...

Tamishu's Ramblings

#9 2016-05-19 10:39:19

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Wow, nice! That's a lot more useful than I would have expected a free class to be...particularly as it was mostly just you and the teacher having a private lesson. That's pretty awesome.

I was thinking last night that maybe I can put up some pictures of my homemade "drawing calendar" (really just pages of drawing I do when I'm in meetings or on calls...nothing very involved at all) to contribute to your Studio. And then thinking I should outline/color them (they're pencil now). Maybe I'll switch to doing that instead of making new drawings, during my meetings, and go through all the sketches I have so far....there are 24 pages! Which is more than I would have estimated. Man, I have a lot of meetings.

#10 2016-05-19 12:26:43

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

That's more than 1 meeting per week so far! (Assuming you started at the beginning of the year.) That's a LOT of meetings. I can barely deal with the 2 different bi-weekly ones I have... lol

And I believe this to be a rather informal Studio, where all parts of the artistic process can be observed. So feel free to share any version or progress :)

Tamishu's Ramblings

#11 2016-05-19 12:55:01

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Well, it's more like one drawing a week. I don't think I've ever in my life had a week with less than two meetings—that would be bliss! It's usually between 5-10 meetings per day.

Ugh, ok, let's not talk about that anymore!

#12 2016-05-19 12:56:03

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Yeah, maybe I'll take pictures of the sketches as they are now, and then updates as I get them colored...good plan!

#13 2016-05-19 20:43:56

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ooh! New place! Awesome drawing zone! More pics, plz!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#14 2016-05-20 01:09:27

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I've probably posted the link to my Flickr stream before, but here it is again: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136096183@N03

If you scroll past the pictures of my cakes, you can find my sketchnotes. One day it will also contain pictures of my art diary from last summer.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#15 2016-05-20 09:41:03

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Cakes and butterflies and sketches....that is a really nice page, Sahi! ^_^

#16 2016-05-20 14:30:57

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thanks!

Scrollbearer

#17 2016-05-20 16:04:41

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Pretty cakes! And butterflies! And notes! Everything about that is awesome.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#18 2016-05-22 11:51:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

I've probably posted the link to my Flickr stream before, but here it is again: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136096183@N03

If you scroll past the pictures of my cakes, you can find my sketchnotes. One day it will also contain pictures of my art diary from last summer.

I love your Fuzzy Gray Koala of Compromise and your "Cool Stuff" Penguin. :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#19 2016-05-23 00:30:31

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The koala has to be credited to the speaker, who actually mentioned him (verbatim) and probably had a picture too. The 'cool stuff' and the 'penguin' are not related, it's a Linux penguin. :)

Scrollbearer

#20 2016-05-23 06:36:13

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ah! He's Tux! Well, they're cute anyway!

(And your notes make way more sense than mine ever do!)

#21 2016-05-23 16:54:34

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Tamishu's Ramblings

#22 2016-05-23 22:10:23

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

New picture added

Lovely landscape! It takes me on a road...

The moon looks like floorball ball to me (sorry), perhaps you could uneven the brightness of the surface a bit, or something...?

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#23 2016-05-24 06:15:07

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Yeah.. first moon, so I wasn't really sure what I was doing.. I'm just glad you knew it was a moon! ^_^

Tamishu's Ramblings

#24 2016-05-24 06:40:51

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I'm sure drawing moons isn't easy!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#25 2016-06-08 12:05:25

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*Supply drop!*

A wooden crate parachutes from above, landing in front of the drawing studio. It's very large, what could be in it?

You pry the top off to find lots, and lots, and LOTS of packing material.

Somewhere near the middle, you find what was shipped: Charcoal sticks! Of course, they're semi-fragile, thus the extra padding. And along with the sticks, you find sand paper and blending stumps and charcoal dust, and of course: extra cans of fixative spray.

I promise: there will be an actual content post tonight. But for now, I leave you with some new toys... Oh, did anybody install a sink when they built this place? We're gonna need it...

Tamishu's Ramblings

Board footer