Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Otherland
  •  » I can't really express how much I want to thank you for those books

#1 2016-04-05 17:28:53

Kareehla
Pilgrim

I can't really express how much I want to thank you for those books

Dear Mr. Williams,

as I wrote earlier, I really don't know how to express my gratitude, my respect and my thankfulnes to you.
Partly because this is not my mothertongue, I think, but mostly because there really are no words for it.
I just finished the Otherland series and I am more than stunned. I fear, I won't be able to read anything else for a while.
Everyone of the characters, whether beng "evil" or being "good" was so unique, so perfect yet imperfect, that I could not stop myself from falling in love with them or hating them so much, I feared my pillows would not live to tell the tale.
I have to admit, I cried at the end. Not just because it was the end of an absolutely fascinating, amazing, stunning, wonderful, (please insert more words within that categorie for I can't think of more right now) series and I would never see those people again, but partly because I was just so taken by their misery and hope and just the feeling of an actual end but without the true satisfaction (which is something I hate in books like that, so please, please, please don't ever write about it - because how could someone be truly satisfied after so many sacrifices, so much faced hardship?).
I am at a loss for words again, I'm afraid.
I don't know if you will ever find and read this and I know that I can't be the only one trying (or failing) to express his or her feelings for your books but I had to do something after finish them (and since my friends never read it, I have no one to talk about those masterpieces....not until they have read them, of which I will make sure xD)
Yours sincerely,

Someone who absolutely loves your books and will be careful with them for they could be part of your soul....they are certainly part of mine.

The loneliest people are the kindest.
The sadest people smile the brightest.
The most damaged people are the wisest.
All because they don't wish to see anyone else suffer the way they did...

#2 2016-04-05 22:45:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: I can't really express how much I want to thank you for those books

Welcome, Kareehla!

Tad stops by the board from time to time, so it's possible he might see your message. Anyway, welcome to the board!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2016-04-06 08:02:57

ylvs
Mantis

A warm welcome from me as well, Kareehla!
If you don't have RL friends to talk with about the amazingness of Tad and his work just stick around and talk to us - we're the club for that!

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Tad stops by the board from time to time, so it's possible he might see your message. Anyway, welcome to the board!

And there are some of us who might point it out to him.

*giggles*

*does just that*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#4 2016-04-06 08:07:10

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Another welcome from me too!

*awesome first post, btw*

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#5 2016-04-06 08:10:47

ylvs
Mantis

And I forgot to say: there are two Otherland shortstories: The Happiest Dead Boy In The World and The Boy Detective Of Oz. So you can meet Orlando again ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#6 2016-04-06 08:49:17

Olaf
Mantis
Website

And, of course, Tad stretches the very definition of short story with both tales:-)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#7 2016-04-06 09:41:59

Kareehla
Pilgrim

Those two stories sound really intriguing, I'm most definitely going to check them out~
I long for those characters and it hasn't even been 24 hours since I finished reading...
And Orlando was truly one of my favorite characters in the whole series.

Thank you for the welcomes and don't worry: I WILL stick around a lot from now on, it's just way too unsatisfying just reading Tad's books without the possibility of TALKING about them!

#8 2016-04-06 09:49:24

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Welcome aboard, Kareehla!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#9 2016-04-06 10:11:52

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Welcome, Kareehla!

Orlando (and Sam) is/are among my favourite characters, not just from Otherland but from books in general.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#10 2016-04-06 10:14:57

Seoman Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I am so glad I am not the only newbie here!

And I feel greatly encouraged to read Otherland after Shadowmarch!

Also, I love that Tad is an author who takes time out to speak with his fans on this forum. He comes off as being a lovely guy.

Which is rare to find when one considers his works reflect all I consider to be from the mind of a genius!

I live in the UK. I wish I could meet him but that's both stalkerish and unrealistic!

OK I am done being creepy but his writing is just...*SQQQQUUUUEEEEEE*

" "Each one of us has our own sorrows, Princess," he said. "It's no shame to take them to heart. The only sin is to forget that other folk have theirs, too--or to let pity for yourself slow your hand when someone needs help."

Isgrimnur, Miriamele was reminded, was more than just a gruff old soldier. "

- Tad Williams (To Green Angel Tower)

#11 2016-04-06 10:26:54

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Actually, that is not unrealistic at all.

The UK is one of TadĀ“s biggest markets and just last year he had a couple of events in the UK when Hodder released new editions of MST and his debut book TailchaserĀ“s Song.

He will probably come to the UK again when the new MST novels start coming out in 2017.

And, btw, tad loves meeting his readers!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#12 2016-04-06 11:14:00

Kareehla
Pilgrim

And now I really wish I lived in the UK...
Life, why must doth be so cruel?!

Welcome, Newbie (nice name btw xD), and I'm glad as well to meet another new person here~

#13 2016-04-06 11:18:56

Sahi
Mantis
Website

And don't worry about being stalkerish, Seoman, we have quite a head start on you there! Some of us have even stalked him right into his house (myself included, and only on invitation).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#14 2016-04-06 11:19:15

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Where do you live, Kareehla?

Scrollbearer

#15 2016-04-06 11:20:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Seoman Pilgrim wrote:

I live in the UK. I wish I could meet him but that's both stalkerish and unrealistic!

Heh. I might have thought that, too, once upon a time. But that's the thing, if you stick around in this forum, there's a good chance you'll not only be able to meet him, but to get to have actual, hours-long conversations with him.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#16 2016-04-06 11:22:51

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

And don't worry about being stalkerish, Seoman, we have quite a head start on you there! Some of us have even stalked him right into his house (myself included, and only on invitation).

And the hive-mind strikes again. Yes, that is something I've done too, visited Tad at his house.

- Tad

#17 2016-04-06 11:29:14

Kareehla
Pilgrim

Sahi wrote:

Where do you live, Kareehla?

I live in Germany, near Munich with slim to no chances of going to the UK in the next few...months because of school and stuff xD
The annoying thing about my country is the fact, that I absolutely have to buy all of my favorite books in another language because it's close to impossible to find them in their original language in any library I know near me xD
Don't get me wrong, I love having the books myself...but I don't earn my own money yet and my parents always try to forbid me buying even MORE books. Plus, I don't have space anymore in my room xD

#18 2016-04-06 11:49:23

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Tad comes to Germany quite regularly. He often has events in Southern Germany as his publisher is there. I am quite sure he'll tour Germany for the new Osten Ard books.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#19 2016-04-06 12:23:37

Kareehla
Pilgrim

Really?!
O gods, that would be so fantastomazing!!
I adore the Osten Ard Series and am waiting (like everyone else here, I presume xD) with strained patience for the new series in this amazing world~
And imagining Tad Williams in Germany for this new series is...way too much for my little heart now *_*

#20 2016-04-06 12:28:19

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And if he's there, many of us will be there too and make sure you get a chance to hang out with him.

- Tad

#21 2016-04-06 12:54:09

Kareehla
Pilgrim

And I would probably die because of hyperventilating and trying to speak at the same time xD
But thank you for your words~

#22 2016-04-06 12:57:12

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Thanks indeed, Kareehla.  I'll be on the message board more often when I get the new books off to the publisher, but for the next couple of months I'm afraid I'll remain a bit scarce.

Thanks again for the kind words, and welcome to this lovely group of people.  I hope you stay in touch with us.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#23 2016-04-06 12:59:10

ylvs
Mantis

Really? Two newbies that genuinely seem interested in Smarch (this is what we call the board because it originated with the Shadowmarch online project in 2001 and we refused to give up the name when it migrated to tadwilliams.com) at the same time? It's been ages since that happened!

*dances little happy dance*

If you want to get to know us go to the  welcome and  who are you threads in Community and then come over to The Quiller's Mint for a chat and sillyness.

Scrollbearer

#24 2016-04-06 13:00:09

ylvs
Mantis

*huggles Dog*

I knew I would lure you here!

Scrollbearer

#25 2016-04-06 13:04:52

Kareehla
Pilgrim

I will most definitely, for talking with myself about your books or anything relating to them and other fantasy novels is really unsatisfying.
I'm grateful to you as well, for writing the books in the first place and for replying to my post here. And since I have high hopes for the new series you will be publishing, I can't really say I mind your scarceness (is that even a word? xD)
Please continue with your fascinating and inspiring work~

I will pay it a visit, don't worry~
I'm really glad I found this possibility to improve my English AND talk about books at the same time xD

• Index
  •  » Otherland
  •  » I can't really express how much I want to thank you for those books

Board footer