Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-10-05 11:27:14

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

I watched the first episode, not too bad.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#27 2017-10-07 12:56:21

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Watched the second episode as well.

Not what I'd hope for. If these two episodes are anything to go by, it sets the season up for conflict and darkness, and it doesn't feel much like it's going to be about "discovery" at all.
It's not bad, but it doesn't exactly feel like Star Trek. I suppose there's still a chance it will turn out ok. Maybe they wanted to grab our attention with something exciting... we'll see.

#28 2017-10-07 15:26:22

ylvs
Mantis

Hold your verdict until you've watched ep. three, Kenan. That brings up some really cool stuff. Although I give you that it is much darker than the average Star Strek. And I agree on the feeling.

#29 2017-10-07 16:01:13

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

I liked it having seen the first three episodes. Of course there is always a fine line between making something like Star Trek, but at the same time original. Also, while I've seen pretty much all of TNG, and Voyager, and parts of the others, I'm also big into Farscape/BSG/Stargate/Babylon 5/Blakes 7. I think out of all of those, it has a Battlestar Galactica vibe to it?

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

#30 2017-10-09 15:12:29

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Just watched episode 4. It just gets better and better. And more mysterious. And the episode is over much too soon. I am looking forward to the day, when the whole season is out, and I can binge watch it all over again:-)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#31 2017-10-15 10:36:48

PeterJW
Pilgrim

Actually, the new Star Trek is not that bad and the developing story line is quite good.  That being said, I have also noticed that the developers of the show failed to follow critical details.  The weaknesses of the show which I observed are listed below:

1. Episode Title is not included at the beginning of each episode after the main title sequence.  This has always been a hallmark of every previous Star Trek series prior to this one.

2.Star Fleet Uniform design is not consistent with the time period in which it is now set. (November 2256.)  The uniforms presented here are  far better designed for the time period in which it is set, which is ten years before the original Star Trek in the original timeline.  The producers of the show should have looked at Star Trek episode "The Cage" presented in the original series "The Menagerie Parts 1 and 2" for the true Star Fleet uniform look of this time period.

3. Technology is far advanced for the time period in which it is set.  In the original Star Trek, for instance, communications were not done by holographic images as is showcased here. If Kirk communicated with Star Fleet officials directly, it was usually done through a view screen in his quarters. This is just one example but with advanced space suits and warp technology this show has a feel of being set ten years before Star Trek: The Next Generation rather than the original series.

4. The look of the Klingons.  Klingons are not supposed to look like that yet.  This issue was addressed in a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode showcasing the 30th anniversary of Star Trek.  In this particular episode the Deep Space Nine crew goes back in time to help Kirk out in "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode.  One scene that struck me was Chief O'Brien commenting on the look of Klingons in late December 2267, when this episode took place.  Chief O' Brien could not believe they were Klingons while Worf explained they are and how his people genetically evolved to their current appearance. 

In addition, Klingon ships are far too advanced for the period in which the show is set.  the only Klingon ships we should be seeing are the classic Battle Cruisers.  Instead, we are seeing Klingon ships which are more advanced even for Star Trek: The Next Generation.

All in all, the show should have been more retro in its style and appearance.  In this instance, it does not meet the time period in which it is set.  Instead it looks like Star Trek: Discovery meets Star Trek: the original series meets Star Trek: The Next Generation, meets The Empire Strikes Back meets Star Gate: SG1!

Still, I will continue watching it, if for no other reason that it is the latest original aspect of Star Trek.  As stated, the developing story line is quite good.  However the show's producers and developers should have paid more attention to the critical details which I illustrated here.

IMHO

#32 2017-10-15 11:18:27

Olaf
Mantis
Website

All valid points, but those things don´t bother me.

I am happy that they are not allowing fifty-year old concepts to constrict them making a great show. Continuity is not everything.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#33 2017-10-17 02:19:04

Olaf
Mantis
Website

New week, new episode:

I think this one tried to cram too much story into the episode. The beginning felt very rushed. I always thought: Have I missed something? How is this happening?

The second half of the show I liked much better…

The ending gave me chills….

Highlight: Stamets and Culber brushing their teeth  together. Great to get a glimpse into their relationship with something as domestic as this :-) 

And then have it subverted the next minute!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#34 2017-10-17 09:01:51

ylvs
Mantis

I loved the Stamets and Culber scene. I was unspoiled and taken completely by surprise. I gasped and laughed and Daughter2.0 asked why. I gave her clues but let her figure it out herself, and the first thing she wanted to know was if they were married. Haha.

#35 2017-10-20 16:43:59

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

Sticking to the continuity of the technology of TOS quite possibly would have been the silliest thing they could have done. A lot of the technology on board ship was less advanced than current modern day. Similarly with the Klingons, they obviously just changed it because they thought it looked better which just sets the precedent for them to change it again if they think it will look better. There is no reason for them to feel beholden to a retconned explanation that was proferred later as basically fan service.

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

#36 2017-10-20 17:01:20

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

I loved the Stamets and Culber scene. I was unspoiled and taken completely by surprise. I gasped and laughed and Daughter2.0 asked why. I gave her clues but let her figure it out herself, and the first thing she wanted to know was if they were married. Haha.

What exactly is going on in this scene? He walks away, but his reflection stays behind for a couple of seconds? Is he possessed, or is he somehow unstuck in time?

As for the gay couple angle, they weren't exactly subtle about it.

#37 2017-10-21 02:05:24

ylvs
Mantis

Of course it is not subtle. Daughter2.0 is eleven, so she did not figure it out on the spot.

#38 2017-10-22 00:14:11

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

I actually thought maybe she got it instantly, but was too young to understand why it was significant/gasp-worthy, but maybe we still aren't there yet.

#39 2017-10-23 11:51:26

Olaf
Mantis
Website

The show has just been renewed for a second season!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#40 2017-10-23 13:19:21

ylvs
Mantis

Yay to that.

I like it a LOT by now.

#41 2017-10-23 13:39:59

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Me too.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#42 2017-11-23 07:26:33

ylvs
Mantis

I'm done with the last ep until January.

Geez, how I love this. It get truly awesome at ep 4 and just does not stop getting better after that.

The wait until next year will kill me!

#43 2017-11-23 08:59:26

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I've seen 5 episodes, and while I enjoy parts of it, other things bother me. For instance, you know immediately if someone is going to be right or wrong based on whom they oppose. Characters are unnecessarily dimwitted in order to promote the heroes. Otherwise there's some cool stuff going on...

#44 2017-11-23 11:08:25

cyan
Mantis

PeterJW wrote:

The uniforms presented here are far better designed for the time period in which it is set, ...

I must disagree.  From a clothing production standpoint, asymmetrical elements such as hemlines and closures require more material and labor to fabricate.  It's a lazy approach ~ in the future, our zippers are crooked and it's cool! ~ rather than being actually innovative.  The one good thing is that the female crew members aren't wearing high heels anymore.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#45 2017-11-23 11:33:49

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I also like this show A LOT. They are doing a lot of things that no other Star Trek show dared to do...

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#46 2017-11-23 13:19:04

ylvs
Mantis

And then some. I am sooo worried for Stamets!

#47 2017-11-23 13:38:09

PeterJW
Pilgrim

Actually cyan, I would say the female crew members are not wearing high heels yet!  That being said and despite my reservations about some aspects of the show, I will admit that the actual story lines are actually pretty good.

Yes, I am still watching it and I did find the Mid-Season Finale quite engrossing.  The show is getting better as it goes along, though I would have still preferred a somewhat more retro look to it.

Anyway, it will return on Sunday January 7, 2018 at 8:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on Space here in Canada.

#48 2017-11-24 00:00:45

ylvs
Mantis

PeterJW wrote:

Actually cyan, I would say the female crew members are not wearing high heels yet!

I disagree. They don't and they won't.

Board footer