Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-09-08 10:13:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: "Cathyn Dair, by Silversea"

*looks forward to video... eventually*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2016-12-13 13:26:16

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

It took ages, I know. Turns out two cute lasses raising money for Patrick Rothfuss' charity Worldbuilders was all I needed to motivate me despite my constant lack of time. I hope you'll enjoy it, despite the shoddy quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnRRCO … u.be&a

I have "Who Can it Be" in the pipeline as well, but once I get a wee break over Christmas I hope to first do a better version of the River Song. :)

Enjoy and maybe consider giving to the good cause. :)

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett - Hogfather

#28 2016-12-13 14:33:11

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Awesome, Sebastian!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#29 2016-12-13 15:57:15

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

That is so awesome!!! Thank you, Sebastian for both songs... I'll be keeping an eye on your youtube channel (if I can find my username/password)....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#30 2016-12-13 21:46:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

SebastianB wrote:

It took ages, I know. Turns out two cute lasses raising money for Patrick Rothfuss' charity Worldbuilders was all I needed to motivate me despite my constant lack of time. I hope you'll enjoy it, despite the shoddy quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnRRCO … u.be&a

I have "Who Can it Be" in the pipeline as well, but once I get a wee break over Christmas I hope to first do a better version of the River Song. :)

Enjoy and maybe consider giving to the good cause. :)

Love it, Sebastian!

I listened/watched the video earlier today, and this song was running through my head all the way home. What a great adaptation! I almost felt as though I was in the boat with Marya, Simon, Binabik and Qantaqa, sailing down the Aelfwent.

"Better version"? I think it's great, doesn't need improving, and I'll blog about this tomorrow (too late tonight).

"Who Can it Be?" would be cool, but that is such a creepy song, considering the subject matter. I can't imagine it as a lively filk, the style of these other songs... But I'm sort of curious to see what you could do with it, nonetheless.

Thanks so much for sharing The River song.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#31 2016-12-13 23:39:52

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Awesome! Thank you for doing this.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#32 2016-12-14 02:29:09

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I know many others have already said it, but there's no other word - awesome!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#33 2016-12-14 04:23:47

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm glad you like it. :) Sorry it took so long.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett - Hogfather

#34 2017-06-27 11:07:47

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Sebastian has posted a new song to celebrate the release of TWC:

Who can it be?

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#35 2017-06-27 13:04:25

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

You beat me to it, Olaf. ;) Thanks for sharing. I hope you lot like it.

#36 2017-06-27 21:03:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Oh, that was wonderful!

You are the Bard of Osten Ard, Sebastian!

#37 2017-06-27 22:53:13

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Haha, "Bard of Osten Ard"...I like that. Thanks, comrade. :)

#38 2017-07-18 13:39:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I just had to listen to these again today!

They are becoming "definitive", slowly replacing my own imagined rhythms, built up from years of reading the books prior to them being set to music by a professional.

#39 2017-07-26 09:51:59

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

The melody is really good!!!  There are some words that are unintelligible though, but all songs are like that :)

You should really write the lyrics in the description.

"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#40 2017-07-27 21:47:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

pixiejen wrote:

The melody is really good!!!  There are some words that are unintelligible though, but all songs are like that :)

You should really write the lyrics in the description.

Here are the lyrics:

Ice is a-growin’ in th’ thatch
And snow is upon th’ sill.
Someone’s a-knockin’ at th’ door
Out in th’ winter’s chill.

Sing you hey-a-ho, an’ who can it be?

Fire is a-burnin’ in th’ grate
Shadows is on th’ wall.
Pretty Arda, she answers up
Inside her latchlocked halt

Comes then a voice from winter-dark,
‘Open up your door.
Let me in for to share your fire
An’ to warm my hands before.’

Arda, chaste an’ chary maid
She answers. ‘Tell me, sir-o,
Who can you be, who walks abroad
When naught outside should stir-o?’

‘A holy man.’ th’ voice replies,
‘Who has not food nor shelter.’
Th’ words all spoke so piteous
If she were ice, ’twould melt her.

’Then I will let you in, good Father,
Old bones will soon be warmer.
A maid can trust a man o’ God
That he will never harm her’.

Open th’ door an’ who stands there?
A man who’s nothin’ holy.
Old One-Eye with his cloak an’ staff.
An’ his wide-brim hat pulled lowly.

‘I lied, I lied, t’get inside,’
Old One-Eye grins and dances,
‘Th’frost’s my home, but I love t’roam
An’ a maid is worth th’ chances’...

Sing you hey-a-ho...

#41 2017-08-13 12:33:56

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks for the warm words, folks. :) Sorry for not posting the lyrics earlier but I'd rather not post them on Youtube, lest someone might see it as an infringement.

Btw, I have uploaded a new song from The Dragonbone Chair. I hope you guys enjoy it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z4vJ57 … e=youtu.be

PS The only thing I didn't like about TWC was that there were not enough songs in it. :P

#42 2017-08-14 09:41:10

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Awesome! We haven't had time to post yet, but there was an apartment of Smarchers listening to it last night - the perfect end to our Worldcon moot!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

Board footer