Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-12 17:31:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

"Cathyn Dair, by Silversea"

A reader has posted a YouTube video of his arrangement and performance of "Cathyn Dair, by Silversea", which is one of the songs Miriamele sings.

I now want to hear him do the River-song.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2015-06-13 00:06:33

ylvs
Mantis

Re: "Cathyn Dair, by Silversea"

Me, too. That was well sung.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#3 2015-06-13 03:23:06

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I clicked the link with modest expectations, but by the first notes they rose considerably and it only got better from there. This is amazingly well done, even if the recording doesn't quite do the performance and composition justice.

Edit: And the lyrics are obviously great as well ;)

Last edited by Peter (2015-06-13 03:24:11)

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#4 2015-06-13 07:40:05

Merenwen
Pilgrim

This is very good. I like it!

#5 2015-06-13 07:59:55

Olaf
Mantis
Website

This is really, really good!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#6 2015-06-13 10:26:48

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Awesome!

I should probably try to remember my youtube password so I can say so there as well.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#7 2015-06-13 23:00:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

Awesome!

I should probably try to remember my youtube password so I can say so there as well.

*lol* Been there!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#8 2015-06-14 20:52:41

cyan
Mantis

That was awesome!

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#9 2015-06-15 10:51:47

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm glad you liked my version of this song. =)

If you could point me to the "River Song" that some of you mentioned I'd be glad to have a look at that. (I do own the paperbacks from DAW if that helps with finding the correct pages.)

I wish I had the possibility to record higher quality videos but at the moment those are about the best I can do.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett - Hogfather

#10 2015-06-15 10:57:21

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Welcome, Sebastian!

My books are from Orbit, so the page numbers might not match up (it starts on page 507 there) - it's in chapter 27, which might be more helpful if they don't.

The songs in MST always make me want to hear them, so finally being able to, at least with one, is fantastic!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#11 2015-06-15 11:25:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

As Magpie already stated: Welcome, Sebastian!

The song is lovely. And I'd love to hear more songs.

The recording is a bit echo-y, but not too bad. Maybe a smaller room would help?

But I sooo want to hear some more Osten Ard songs; like Magpie said, I've always wanted to hear them in real life.

The River Song would be my first choice, but there are tons and tons of others: Towser's song/poem about "Old King Juniper", "Six Kings", "Where Are They Gone?", Skodi's demonic song "In A Hole in the Ground", etc, etc. Any would be cool to hear.

Thanks for breathing life into this song!

#12 2015-06-15 14:19:02

ylvs
Mantis

Welcome Sebastian!

*applauds*

What Magpie and Firs said: the song is truely lovely. I have listend to it repeatedly now and even caught myself humming the chorus.

Feel free to become the bard of Smarch, we'd all be delighted.
Firsfron is the local poet btw, maybe you find his verses inspiring for a little tune? Just an idea ...

Did you see that Tad's wife gave you kudos on youtube?

Stick around, we're a welcoming bunch!

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#13 2015-06-15 14:36:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Did you see that Tad's wife gave you kudos on youtube?

Nice!

#14 2015-06-16 00:49:44

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks very much for the heartfelt welcome and the warm words, I do appreciate that very much. =) I'm sure to stick around and I will have a look at the other songs eventually. And yes I just saw that Tad's wife posted something on Youtube, but thanks for the heads up.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett - Hogfather

#15 2015-06-16 00:52:33

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing, and welcome Sebastian! /Johan (commented on your video)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#16 2015-06-16 03:10:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

SebastianB wrote:

Thanks very much for the heartfelt welcome and the warm words, I do appreciate that very much. =) I'm sure to stick around and I will have a look at the other songs eventually.

Thanks for looking at the other songs, Sebastian! I hope you will find another piece that you could adapt for music. Because you are very good at it!

#17 2015-06-16 10:57:12

cyan
Mantis

Hello SebastianB, and welcome!  I look forward to more music from you.  :-D

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#18 2015-06-16 22:17:36

Blue&Green
Pilgrim

I loved that song in the books, and now I love it again after hearing it out loud.

That was really good, SebastianB. :)

#19 2015-06-20 04:44:45

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks again to all of you. That was very uplifting. :) I already had a look at the River Song and I know in what direction that one has to go. Just need to find the time to work on it now. ;)

#20 2015-06-20 06:20:37

ylvs
Mantis

We're patient Sebastian.

*grins*

Scrollbearer

#21 2015-06-20 09:26:33

Merenwen
Pilgrim

No, I am impatient. :P

Welcome to the boards, Sebastian! As I said before, I really like your song and I am looking forward to more music from you! :)

#22 2015-06-20 10:34:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I will pretend to be patient.

#23 2015-09-03 05:43:14

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Sorry for the longs absence folks, I was mad busy with a crowdfunding for the debut album of my new duo The Hoodie Crows and other stuff happened so I only came back to The River Song a few days ago. I could probably use your advice on something: How would you guys pronounce Meremund? I was wondering wether the "d" was silent so it would actually (sort of) rhyme with the recurring 'em. Opinions? The melody is pretty much worked out.

#24 2015-09-03 17:05:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

SebastianB wrote:

Sorry for the longs absence folks, I was mad busy with a crowdfunding for the debut album of my new duo The Hoodie Crows and other stuff happened so I only came back to The River Song a few days ago. I could probably use your advice on something: How would you guys pronounce Meremund? I was wondering wether the "d" was silent so it would actually (sort of) rhyme with the recurring 'em. Opinions? The melody is pretty much worked out.

What? This is actually happening? How exciting! :) Awesome news!

In the audiobook of DBC, it is pronounced like "mare-a-mund" or "mer-a-mund". I suspect you could drop the 'd' as a river-sailor might do, to make rhyme better. It's supposed to be a sailing shanty.

(also: welcome back Sebastian!)

#25 2015-09-08 06:34:30

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Thank you so much! That was what I thought as well, but good to have someone verify that. =)

I will be at the German Discworld Con this weekend so I don't know when I will be able to do a little video of it.

Board footer