Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#426 2017-09-21 12:32:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: What are you playing now?

The tablet version works really well. I was afraid it might be a bit imprecise and that I would have to pause all the time, but the majority of the time it does what I want it to, even when I try to juggle waggons and trains around.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#427 2017-09-21 12:39:44

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Finished XCOM 2 - War of the Chosen.

My first playthrough anyway. I don't think I'll go straight to Ironman attempts though. Overall they added a ton of content and cool stuff to the game, including new missions, new enemies, some new equipment and lots of tweaks and changes.

It works pretty well, though so far the difficulty seems even more front loaded than in the original game. That worked fairly well for me, especially since that means Ironman playthroughs will usually fail early. But making that even more pronounced seems like too much. Once I'd gotten rid of the Chosen, the rest of the game was extremely easy (playing on Veteran difficulty).

I am certain making smarter choices will improve the early game a lot and I have adapted a bit to the Chosen, but I still think the early game will be even harder than in XCOM 2 and the late game is significantly easier due to the changes to the ability tree (you can purchase additional abilities with ability points, allowing you to get both abilities at some levels and there's a less random way to gain non-class abilities compared to the old advanced warfare center). The story missions didn't really change much, so you simply have more tools for the same task, plus the weapons you get from the Chosen.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#428 2017-09-22 15:49:39

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Started on Thief Gold.

It's one of the classics I attempted at least twice but did not finish. I do not know exactly how far I got, but probably no more than a couple missions or 5-10 hours into the game.

While only a moderate commercial success, it was a big influence on many later games. While visually obsolete when it came out (due to both a dated engine and limited budged for the artwork), the sound effects were excellent (as was the case for all Looking Glass games) and it was one of the first games to feature modern first person stealth gameplay, letting you sneak around and finish many missions without killing an enemy.

Like all Looking Glass games, it is very atmospheric, complex, fairly difficult and gives the player a tremendous amount of freedom. Unlike their earlier games (Ultima Underworld 1+2, System Shock and Terranova) the graphics aren't groundbreaking.

For now I finished one mission out of 16. This may take a while...

#429 2017-10-09 05:44:36

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Finished the first round of Dark Souls III yesterday, with all the optional stuff and DLCs. What a journey. And what a finale to this awesome series.

I am going to finish it a few more times, to unlock all endings and achievements.

I am pondering, though, why everyone was crying over that one DLC boss. It was said that he was the hardest boss in the entire Souls / Bloodborne series for many players, and almost impossible to beat solo as a melee. And I did exactly that on my 11th or 12th attempt. I was struggling with other bosses on the other hand. Many players can't understand my difficulties with the Orphan of Kos from Bloodborne, for example, which was the hardest boss for me in all games.

#430 2017-10-09 05:49:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Still working on Thief, but I stopped playing somewhere during mission 6. I hate the zombie missions....

#431 2017-10-09 22:41:34

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I've started Breath of the Wild.  I imagine it will take me several months to get through it, given how little time I have to play these days.  (I played an afternoon the weekend before last, and haven't touched it since.  Gonna go play some tonight after I finish a sweep of email.)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#432 2017-10-15 12:08:47

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I was just playing a bit of agario and saw Tanahaya (fully recovered, apparently)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#433 2017-11-29 14:00:55

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I finally started seriously replaying Starcraft: Remastered. Which is exactly like the original game (Starcraft and the Broodwar expansion), except for the graphics being updated to 4K (instead of 640x480) and the videos being rerendered and reencoded. They did redraw all the tiles and units, but I suspect the videos have been mostly left alone. They still look very much like late 90's creations, just without the horrible blocky encoding.

#434 2017-11-29 19:20:30

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I think I'm now about 60-70% done with Breath of the Wild (or at least I have three of the four Divine Beasts converted, and around 2/3 of the shrines; also have almost all the armor sets up to max level).

#435 2017-12-08 06:37:52

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Finished the Starcraft part of Starcraft: Remastered. As mentioned before, only the graphics have been updated with higher resolution artwork and a slightly more modern renderer, though AFAIK it is still 2D. The controls (except for a new keybinding editor), mission design, AI and pathfinding are all 100% unchanged to keep the game compatible with the original, which is sacred, especially in Korea (this applies to multiplayer, of course). Changing even the most minor details in behaviour would have upset the community, so they kept the old code.

The mission design, story and presentation are all good for the time. In fact Starcraft is the first RTS game I remember that succeeded in telling a decent original story. Unit design is fabulous and the controls are pretty decent for the time, though certainly nowhere near as good as those of Total Annihilation.

The biggest problem is the pathfinding. Where you command your units in Starcraft II, you wrestle them into submission in Starcraft. That applies to all of the older games, pathfinding for single units isn't a terribly hard problem, but doing it for a large group of units wasn't solved (AFAIK) until Supreme Commander 2 in 2010.

Next up: Starcraft Remastered, Broodwar.

Last edited by Peter (2017-12-08 06:38:13)

#436 2017-12-23 10:32:24

rimses
Pilgrim

Still playing Panzer Corps.

Totally addicted to that strategy game.

Also still playing Infinitode while commuting on train.

If the subjective character of experience is fully comprehensible only from one point of view, then any shift to greater objectivity-that is, less attachement to a specific viewpoint-does not take us nearer to the real nature of the phenomenon: it takes us farther away from it

-Thomas Nagel, What is it like to be a bat?

#437 2017-12-27 09:57:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Finally finished my replay of Broodwar (Starcraft: Remastered edition). Not only did I have less time in the last days due to Christmas, but the second half of the Zerg campaign is quite challenging compared to the rest of the game.

While the Starcraft campaign was merely good for the time, the Broodwar campaign is really well designed. Maybe not quite up to today's standards, but they really did everything they could and it's much more varied and more challenging than the main game.

The remainder is pretty much the same as the main game, great for the time, but the controls are a little annoying compared to newer games and due to the slow animations it still feels like an old game, despite the updated visuals.

#438 2017-12-27 12:21:13

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Got my Dark Souls III platinum trophy.

#439 2017-12-28 03:39:31

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

I - finally - managed to complete Mass effect Andromeda. It didn't quite live up to the original triologie but it was decent enough. Nothing will ever compare to Commander Shepard :-)

#440 2017-12-28 06:26:41

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I just bought Might & Magic: Heroes VII. (The only other game in this series I haven't played is the first one)
My new gfx-card should have arrived with AC:Origins, so I'll try that out too once I get the code for it.

#441 2017-12-28 09:35:21

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Going by the last HoMM I tried (V I think) the campaign should keep you busy (and cursing) for about 300 hours. If you like that kind of game, I can recommend the King's Bounty series. Those are more single player focussed, with slightly simpler mechanics, but much better UIs (of course everything under the sun has a better UI than HoMM V). Still very long games.

The new AC is supposed to be excellent, but very, very hard on the CPU. Fortunately you just bought the right tool for it :D .

Last edited by Peter (2017-12-28 09:37:33)

#442 2017-12-28 09:41:06

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

I - finally - managed to complete Mass effect Andromeda. It didn't quite live up to the original triologie but it was decent enough. Nothing will ever compare to Commander Shepard :-)

And Mordin and Liara and Garrus and... frankly, I think few of the new characters have that special something. I think some would only require slight changes and slightly better dialogue to make it. Pebee and Liam have potential, but kind of end up being annoying.

#443 2017-12-28 13:10:43

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

And Mordin and Liara and Garrus and...

...don't forget about tipsy Tali - so hilarious :D

Peter wrote:

...frankly, I think few of the new characters have that special something. I think some would only require slight changes and slightly better dialogue to make it. Pebee and Liam have potential, but kind of end up being annoying.

While Liams loyality mission was among the best missions ME:A had to offer, I found his character quite annoying. And according to the party banter I wasn't the only one. Pebee at least had some hilarious party banter episodes. The party banter had some of the most hilarious moments in the whole game. I just say :"...I hate you all. Just let me be old and grumpy" *chuckles*

#444 2017-12-28 13:35:03

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I think Peebee isn't a bad character, maybe she's just too young for me. She feels so much like a teenager, which may or may not be ok for teenagers, but it's a bit much for me. Even though she likes anti-grav sex :p .

Liam... I think I'd always find him a bit annoying, but that's fine. But he fails at EVERYTHING and that sucks if you're supposed to be a crack team. I think that's an issue I have with many of them, they just don't feel like the elite force you're supposed to be or at least grow into. And Cora, well she's not annoying, but a little bland, though the same was true with Ashley, in fact Cora is an improvement there for me.

Not sure why, but Vetra Nyx and Jaal never grew on me. Might be on me. Drack is fine, typical Krogan issue. I think some of the side characters could have been quite interesting, but they don't get the space to shine. The pilot was super annoying and boring though. Can I have Joker back?

And yeah, how could I forget about Tali?

#445 2017-12-28 14:04:12

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

yes, please let us Joker back. Kallo couldn't hold a candle to him. In fact, almost all the Salarians were quite annoying - Director Tann being the first among them. I. want. Mordin. back!
Suvi and Gil  kind faded too much into the background.

Drack was funny the way he was. And while noone can beat Grunt (especially after the Citadel DLC) I liked him more than Wrex (who also had his nice moments in the Citadel DLC).

I'm naturally drawn to turians (thanks for that Garrus), but Vetra was too much 'mom-like'. Jaal? Well, I think he was fine - a bit too cheesey perhaps. But I guess, this was the basic idea of the Angara. I still suspect though, that he was designed as the perfect 'Prince Charming' love interest for the female players.  Which is just too much sometimes. There is no way he could keep up with Garrus, but who can? *snickers*

#446 2017-12-28 15:51:59

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Getting very close to done with Zelda BOTW.  Finished all 120 main shrines (including a jaunt into the Calamitously-infested Hyrule Castle for the final one), got all of the armor upgraded (except for the Royal Guard Uniform, which I know is in the castle somewhere).  Finished the Ballad of the Champions quest line (the final boss of which is ludicrously difficult).  Just need to find the Hylian Shield and the Royal Guard gear, then take on the Calamity himself.

#447 2017-12-28 15:54:44

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I kind of hated the Heroes of Might and Magic game I tried.  (I think HoMM3?)  The RPGs were good -- M&M6 and 7, in particular, were great.  I bought 8 (Day of the Destroyer) but never got around to playing.  (I've heard it wasn't as good, anyways.)

#448 2017-12-29 03:02:35

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

Jaal? Well, I think he was fine - a bit too cheesey perhaps. But I guess, this was the basic idea of the Angara. I still suspect though, that he was designed as the perfect 'Prince Charming' love interest for the female players.  Which is just too much sometimes. There is no way he could keep up with Garrus, but who can? *snickers*

If you love Garrus, I don't think Prince Charming is what you're after :D . Prince Charmings don't tend to look better with their ear shot off or advocate solving problems by killing everyone.

#449 2017-12-29 03:29:08

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Auros, I'm not surprised, you usually hate the things I like... except for some Tad Williams books supposedly. Oh well, to each their own.

I started on the campaign of Heroes VII, admittedly it's a bit slow... though I still like the concept. I also started on a random map on the side. I enjoy the skill system in these latest iterations of the game.

#450 2017-12-29 03:57:34

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I like the concept of the games a lot and I had a good time playing HoMM II and I do have VI waiting to be played. I hope they fixed at least some of the UI issues for that iteration.

Board footer