Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-16 08:11:13

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

What are you playing now?

I figured we have a very popular "What are you reading" thread and a somewhat more neglected "What are you watching" thread, so why not do the same for games?

It might also stop a couple (Sorry Lian!) in the Pillars of Eternity thread :D .

Finished: The Witcher, which I was quite happy with. I'd rate it ~8/10 (and I'm picky).

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#2 2015-04-16 08:33:24

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Re: What are you playing now?

Wordfeud :p

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#3 2015-04-16 09:19:13

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Good idea, Peter!

I'm currently playing The Evil Within: The Assignment, which is a DLC of the original game. Next monday they will release the next DLC, The Consequence and I'm really looking forward to it, because I love the characters and the story.

#4 2015-04-16 12:05:09

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I could swear there was a topic for this somewhere already, but, eh, no harm in migrating to a new one.

This year, I've played through Infamous: Second Son and Infamous: First Light; the first two episodes of Life is Strange (because that's how many have come out); and the first episode of The Wolf Among Us (which I have all of, just haven't had time to do more than that yet).  The last of those is RedNat's fault.  She's gotten me into the Fables series.

I highly, highly recommend Life is Strange.  Very arty, interesting story, great music.  Prior to playing it I hadn't encountered anything quite like it, although it turns out that its interactive-story design pretty strongly resembles The Wolf Among Us.  Though I enjoy Life is Strange a lot more, because its core dynamic is the ability to rewind time.  So you can have a conversation, learn something, and then rewind and start the conversation over.  And the game will let you fast-forward through any dialogue you've already seen.  In TWAU, if I decide I really don't like how a conversation went -- it feels inconsistent with the way I'm trying to play the main character, Bigby -- I have to quit to the main menu, reload my save, and sit through a bunch of stuff I've already seen.  On LiS, I have two saves, one in which I'm trying to make decisions in line with my actual moral compass.  On the other I'm playing as selfish and a little reckless, just to see how much chaos ensues.  So far I've only done Ep1 of TWAU once through, playing as nice and violence-avoidant as I can; at some point I need to go back and play as an oderint-dum-metuant bad-ass. :-)

Last edited by Auros (2015-04-16 12:05:41)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#5 2015-04-16 12:09:02

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Games Thread.

Don't know if a Mantis wants to merge this onto that, or just run with the new one.

#6 2015-04-16 12:32:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I did know about that, thread, but this serves a different purpose. Like the "what are you reading now thread" it will probably consist of short "playing x now, finished y" posts, not discussion about the games, which would be more appropriate in the thread you linked.

At least that's my thinking.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#7 2015-04-18 08:33:58

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Started on "The Witcher 2". I am still very early in the game, but it has a much more cinematic feel than the first game. It's also pretty demanding on the hardware and for the most part it looks really good. Only the shadows are weird. Dithered Shadows are perfectly normal for the time, but the pattern is strange and makes them stand out in a bad way.

#8 2015-04-18 09:38:50

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I never played any of "The Witcher" games, but I saw the trailer for the third game and it looked very good. Maybe I will give it a try, but the questions is: Do I need to play part 1 and 2 first?

#9 2015-04-18 09:42:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Can't say yet, I'm not even done with the second game. So far Witcher 2 probably wouldn't make any less sense without playing #1. Lian would know more.

#10 2015-04-18 21:18:22

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Elite: Dangerous, Pillars of eternity and my new space cello! :P

Although, not all at the same time, I admit. That would be ridiculous.

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#11 2015-04-19 04:32:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Still working on Witcher 2 and I play some Dota 2 almost every week. I'm horrible at it, but it's the only social/multiplayer game I play and it is quite fun, if I'm not being particularly terrible on a given day.

#12 2015-04-19 11:56:32

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I finished ep3 of The Wolf Among Us.  I think now I at least know who the real Big Bad Villain is in the story.  Though holy shazbat, the last scene of that episode did not go well for me.  (Though I suspect it went SO badly that there is no series of choices I could've made earlier in the story that would've resulted in an outcome that wasn't pretty terrible.)

#13 2015-04-20 07:02:11

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I just read that The Evil Within: The Consequence will be available on the 22nd April, at least for the PS3 / PS4 players. The PC and XBOX players get it one day earlier. Damn it! Now I have to wait until wednesday!

#14 2015-04-28 08:50:33

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I finished The Evil Within: The Consequence. I thought the DLCs were supposed to solve some mysteries of the story, but instead they deepened story and left the players alone with the question what comes next...

I don't know yet which game I will play next.

#15 2015-04-28 11:43:09

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I finished Wolf Among Us a week or so ago, and then started on a replay, playing a nasty version of Bigby.  (But then I haven't had much time to play since then, so I haven't gotten far.)  The ending of the story is a bit of a WTF?! moment; I have a theory of what happened, but it's hard to know what the writers intended...

Last edited by Auros (2015-04-28 11:43:37)

#16 2015-04-28 12:43:15

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Due to overworked eyes and time spent cleaning the apartment, I didn't get to play much the last week. I did play some Dota, but no progress on Witcher 2.

#17 2015-05-10 08:00:52

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I rented Mortal Kombat X from the video rental store where my sister works. I finished the story, but I wasn't so delighted with the game in general. Maybe I'm too stupid for it, but I had my difficulties with the control, which felt very stiff IMO. At least I didn't have to pay it.

#18 2015-05-10 12:57:19

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Bits of Dota 2 here and there, but I still haven't resumed Witcher 2.

#19 2015-06-13 07:51:11

Merenwen
Pilgrim

My sister and I finished Resident Evil: Revelations 2 in coop mode. It was fun playing together and helping each other in the game.

#20 2015-06-13 08:00:38

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Mostly finished "Unstoppable Gorg". Beat all missions on normal with a hero medal and beat all the challenges on normal. Also got all the achievements that are not on hard/unstoppable. I did start playing all missions on unstoppable, but it's getting pretty hard around level 12, so I may not finish that. Definitly considering it finished.

Resumed Witcher 2, which was difficult as I could not recall the controls or any of the quests. Thank god for modern journals.

#21 2015-06-13 08:03:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Started Battle Isle 2 a couple weeks ago, but am only halfway through when counting missions, maybe closer to 1/3 for game time.

Still DotA-ing, of course. It's a curse. Can't get rid of it.

#22 2015-06-17 07:47:53

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I finished "The Witcher 2".

Pondering Witcher 3 next, though replaying Witcher 2 from Chapter 2 on for a different path is also an option. I think I'll do that another time though.

#23 2015-06-17 08:17:12

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I gave Witcher 1 an 8/10 and so far I'll give its successor an 8,5/10. I always see those as adjusted for the time, because overall I consider it a better game.

The graphics are great, though the weird dithering pattern on the shadows is still annoying me after 50 hours of gameplay (Yes, small technical things can annoy me to no end, even if it's stupid to look at anything that way. It's a Peter (or maybe an engineer) thing.) and there is huge attention to detail throughout the world.

The combat system is more complex and much harder than in the first game, but once you figure out some combinations, it becomes a little silly. You only need Aard and rolling around to evade enemies. Group fights are challenging though and some of the boss fights are fantastic.

My main complaints would be the uneven difficulty (Act 1 is much tougher than 2 and 3, because you get so much power out of the talents) and that the writers throw around too many new names at once, making it very hard to keep up. Fortunately the journal does a good job at explaining things you may have missed in dialogue.

Apparently it's got a lot of replayability as well, with many different endings and Act 2 is different enough that I might want to replay it. In fact I might do that now, despite what I wrote above (and the fact that Witcher 3 is downloading as I type this).

Edit: And it's pretty crashy for a modern game. I think it got stuck or crashed 10-20 times during my playthrough. Not so much it's not playable, but considering it's been out for years and has been patched heavily, that is disappointing.

Last edited by Peter (2015-06-17 08:21:30)

#24 2015-06-17 08:25:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

The Unstoppable Gorg get an 8/10.

It's very well executed but in the end too simple to get a higher score. Also many of the weapon types aren't necessary and AFAICT quite useless (common problem in TD games).

Loved the cheesy 60's style flair and videos and once I got used to the mechanics, they were quite interesting. Both stressful and engaging.

#25 2015-06-17 18:44:44

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

Still DotA-ing, of course. It's a curse. Can't get rid of it.

And what a curse it is...! My husband plays. I can't ever keep up. I have no idea what half the characters do. But sometimes its fun to watch him play Techies and blow people up.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

Board footer