Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2015-02-15 23:58:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: The Last King of Osten Ard Progress Report

gopher wrote:

Years ago, back in 1988, I purchased the new hardcover of The Dragonbone Chair on my way to to college in Toronto. Had some extra $$ and the cover blurb looked interesting. I loved the book so much I wrote the publisher a note asking when the sequel would be out, and I received a letter in response. It was a form letter, but it was signed by Tad (very nice, thank you Tad). I used it as a bookmark for a couple years until I lost it when working at a cottage resort one summer as a lifeguard. Grease fire in the tent I was living in, long story, ha ha.

Anyhoo, I've been following the news of the new series with anticipation. I honestly never thought I'd see a return to Osten Ard as Tad said the series nearly killed him and/or had too many negative memories. Thank you so much for doing this Tad, if for no other reason than that I feel 25 years younger and looking forward to once again walking those treacherous Qanuc paths.

Welcome, Gopher!

I was the same as you: first read TDC in 1988, and immediately fell in love with it. The wait for SOF was excruciating... I was 14 at the time. Like you, I'm soooo glad Tad has returned to Osten Ard.

The 'grease fire in the tent' story sounds like it needs to be told in full!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#52 2015-02-16 07:47:04

ylvs
Mantis

Welcome indeed Gopher! We all have some version of this story to tell, so be asured you're amongst friends.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#53 2015-02-16 07:50:27

ylvs
Mantis

Tad wrote:

Thanks for all the support, my friends.  It makes it so much more fun, and even a bit easier.

Rereading this in a kind of weird mood, it brought a tear to my eyes.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#54 2015-03-02 13:03:42

Zim28
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

gopher wrote:

Years ago, back in 1988, I purchased the new hardcover of The Dragonbone Chair on my way to to college in Toronto. Had some extra $$ and the cover blurb looked interesting. I loved the book so much I wrote the publisher a note asking when the sequel would be out, and I received a letter in response. It was a form letter, but it was signed by Tad (very nice, thank you Tad). I used it as a bookmark for a couple years until I lost it when working at a cottage resort one summer as a lifeguard. Grease fire in the tent I was living in, long story, ha ha.

Anyhoo, I've been following the news of the new series with anticipation. I honestly never thought I'd see a return to Osten Ard as Tad said the series nearly killed him and/or had too many negative memories. Thank you so much for doing this Tad, if for no other reason than that I feel 25 years younger and looking forward to once again walking those treacherous Qanuc paths.

Welcome, Gopher!

I was the same as you: first read TDC in 1988, and immediately fell in love with it. The wait for SOF was excruciating... I was 14 at the time. Like you, I'm soooo glad Tad has returned to Osten Ard.

The 'grease fire in the tent' story sounds like it needs to be told in full!

Not sure on the exact year I got the first books.  Thinking between '91 or '93 as I was still in high school.  I joined the Science Fiction Book Club and chose Stone of Farewell for one of my freebie books.  I didn't know it was a book two.  Luckily I was able to order Dragonbone from them.   I've went though several copies and rereads since.  Even hit eBay up for the full size hard covers.  Now I have the handy Kindle versions too.

I was "Dan" back on Shadowmarch.

#55 2015-05-08 12:02:58

LightWarriorK
Pilgrim

Olaf wrote:

THE PROGRESS REPORT

Hakatri

Among everything here....this one gave me chills.

It had been quite a while since reading MST, so I picked it up again once TLK was announced.  At my slow pace I should be done close to a release of TWC.  Can't wait!

#56 2015-05-08 12:05:39

ylvs
Mantis

*wavies at Dog*

Hullo dear!

Scrollbearer

#57 2015-05-08 12:54:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

LightWarriorK wrote:

Olaf wrote:

THE PROGRESS REPORT

Hakatri

Among everything here....this one gave me chills.

It had been quite a while since reading MST, so I picked it up again once TLK was announced.  At my slow pace I should be done close to a release of TWC.  Can't wait!

I know. The name gave me chills, too. :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#58 2015-05-09 00:37:34

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Tad posted this on FACEBORG:

BOOK NEWS: I've finished the (tidied and revised) version of the first draft of The Witchwood Crown. Currently it's 1071 pages, about 311K words.
Yes, I've written another not-small book. Surprise!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#59 2015-05-09 00:45:32

cyan
Mantis

Olaf wrote:

Tad posted this on FACEBORG:

BOOK NEWS: I've finished the (tidied and revised) version of the first draft of The Witchwood Crown. Currently it's 1071 pages, about 311K words.
Yes, I've written another not-small book. Surprise!

Hhhrmmm...

Seriously?  Who is surprised?

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#60 2015-05-09 08:50:35

ylvs
Mantis

*giggles*

Scrollbearer

#61 2015-08-19 09:11:41

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Tad's a bit weird at using twitter (and really bad at staying within 140 chars, no surprises there), but I happened upon this:

@den_down_unda: @tadwilliams Still Witchwood Crowning while pub is delayed or getting started on next book (EoG or new Bobby Dollar)?

@tadwilliams: None of the above. Sort of. Secret project happening. (But waiting editors' notes for #1, & ranging over #2 in my head.)

@tadwilliams: Will begin physically writing #EmpireOfGrass (#2) pretty soon though. Downloading the mind onto paper.

If Tad retweets a question, it would be nice if he prefaced the answers with a ". " so question and answer are visible to his audience. If he didn't want it visible, he probably wouldn't retweet the question.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#62 2015-08-21 12:19:49

Tad
Hierarch
Website

I'll tell you a secret: many of those are Deb asking me questions and posting the answer on my behalf.  If it's written in telegraph-ese, it's probably Deb.  I'll pass on the idea about posting the original question, too.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#63 2015-08-21 15:27:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

New blog post here on the new date for The Witchwood Crown. Please spread the word, share, re-blog, etc.

#64 2015-08-21 16:12:42

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Consider it done.

March 2017 IS a long way off. Although I suspect that some of these secret projects involves Osten Ard short fiction that will pave the way for TWC.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#65 2015-08-21 16:13:03

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Tad wrote:

I'll tell you a secret: many of those are Deb asking me questions and posting the answer on my behalf.  If it's written in telegraph-ese, it's probably Deb.  I'll pass on the idea about posting the original question, too.

You actually do post the original question, but your answers do not show up in twitter feeds, because they are directed at a specific person. Yet if you retweet the question, it makes sense to write the answers in such a way as to show up for everyone who follows you.

The most common trick is to preface the tweet with a ". ".

Twitter shows Tweets that start with a "@someone" to @someone and everyone who follows both @someone and you. Everyone else will see your RT (because that's from you), but not how you answered the question. Prefixing it with ". " will make twitter handle it like any other tweet from you, thus showing it to everyone who follows you.

And Deborah seems to be a twitter monster, both posting a lot and keeping track of a lot of stuff.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#66 2015-08-22 10:07:40

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Olaf wrote:

Consider it done.

March 2017 IS a long way off. Although I suspect that some of these secret projects involves Osten Ard short fiction that will pave the way for TWC.

Oh, I hope so! I am always up for more Osten Ard stuff!

#67 2015-08-22 10:25:15

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#68 2015-08-23 03:28:19

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*sobs*

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#69 2015-08-26 10:12:13

Sojourn
Pilgrim

No kidding. Sobs, falls to one knee, and wails like a dwarrow. That's going to be rough buddy (for any old Avatar fans out there). Oh well, I know the final product will be worth it. Thank you again, Tad, for writing such a brilliant series. Absolutely changed my life and thinking regarding the genre of fantasy. Like Gopher, I picked up the first around 89' at about the age of 13. Such a strange place in one's life, and this series helped me deal with periods of that tenuous age. Now I'm trying to get my son (same age as I was when I started and man do I feel old, to pick it up and start his own journey). Personally, I haven't looked back since. Into about my fiftieth re-read. If it gets bumped back into a closer sphere of time, please let us know.

Last edited by Sojourn (2015-08-26 16:06:06)

#70 2015-08-27 21:12:38

gopher
Pilgrim

#71 2015-08-28 12:55:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Hang in there, guys! More news is forthcoming in September!

#72 2015-08-28 14:51:54

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Cross-posted from other thread for maximum exposure:

Tad will read from THE WITCHWOOD CROWN on September 4th in the live Google Hangout. And also answer questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIRME5vhyo

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#73 2015-09-01 14:49:19

Sojourn
Pilgrim

Nice. Teasers will abound I'm sure. The boards will be rife with conjecture and abandon. I'll take it. but 2017....I mean really?

#74 2015-09-02 02:51:00

BonUs
Pilgrim

And it just has to be on a day that I'm working... one of you guys here better record the live hangout and put it on YouTube! I don't wanna miss it!

#75 2015-09-03 05:46:35

SebastianB
Pilgrim
Website

Shame about the postponement...especially since it's only due to publisher's issues, but then that's all part of the art industry, I guess. Looking forward to hear what is going to come out next year then. =)

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett - Hogfather

Board footer