Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-02-05 17:56:14

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: The Last King of Osten Ard Progress Report

Others are writing about this too:

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2015/02/ta … novel.html

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#27 2015-02-05 23:53:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Yeah, these are great news. But I'm a bit jealous of Deborah now. ;)

Bwah! Yep!

But just think: we'll soon be getting snippets at readings! Anyone reading this, please promise you'll report here if you get in on a Tad reading. Better yet, record it so we can all drool over every new Osten Ardian word!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#28 2015-02-05 23:55:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

Others are writing about this too:

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2015/02/ta … novel.html

Shawn raises a good point: no massively long delays with Tad's books. With Tad, you know there isn't going to be a six-year delay between books.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#29 2015-02-06 00:26:45

Olaf
Mantis
Website

For this trilogy he has written the most detailed outline of his career. So, there should not be many surprises along the way for him (like with Shadowmarch where he had not planned out everything ahead).

GRRM´s publishers have just published the original outline to ASOIAF (which deviates quite a bit from the books)

http://thewertzone.blogspot.de/2015/02/ … e-and.html

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#30 2015-02-06 00:32:41

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#31 2015-02-06 10:09:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

GRRM´s publishers have just published the original outline to ASOIAF (which deviates quite a bit from the books)

http://thewertzone.blogspot.de/2015/02/ … e-and.html

Dare I read that outline, for the spoilers?

(I suppose it may be the only way I find out what eventually happens...)

#32 2015-02-06 10:28:25

Olaf
Mantis
Website

It is quite substantially different from what it became. It is really more of an alternate version. However, there may still be spoilers, but it seems unlikely.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#33 2015-02-06 17:27:44

cyan
Mantis

I love the source this blogger uses. ;-)

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#34 2015-02-06 23:48:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

It's nice of them to acknowledge where they saw the announcement. OstenArd.com received almost 700 views this week, already. People are really excited about the new book. I have a feeling it's going to sell quite well.

#35 2015-02-07 00:20:15

cyan
Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

It's nice of them to acknowledge where they saw the announcement.

Firs.  I love you very much but you seriously get on my nerves sometimes.  When other bloggers use your site (and hard work) as a source, you're supposed to be happy and proud!  So, be happy and proud, my friend!

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#36 2015-02-07 02:16:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Oh, I'm happy and proud, Cyan. Very happy. :)

But I'm most proud just to be helping spread the news of TLK. :) Just think: by this time next year, we may be reading The Witchwood Crown, seeing Simon and Miriamele rule, getting to see them having a reunion with Binabik, Sisqi, Isgrimnur, Tiamak, Eolair, Jiriki, Aditu and all our other friends.

#37 2015-02-08 05:09:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Word of the completion of the first draft is spreading through the French-speaking world as well.

#38 2015-02-08 12:31:16

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Tad Williams Progress Report Summary

Trilogy: The Last King of Osten Ard announced on April 2nd, 2014

Date            Page Count
April 22nd        125
May 3rd        196
May13th        200-250
September 12th    400
October 21st    555
December 3rd    700
December 12th    800
December 16th    264000 words (no page count given)
January 17th    ca. 1000
February 4th    ca. 1100 (first draft complete)

Revisions to follow

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#39 2015-02-08 13:24:08

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks for the summary, Olaf!
So it took him about 11 months to write the first draft. Total time is going to be 14-16 months, I guess? That seems like a pretty good pace, though it certainly went faster because he spent a lot of time planning beforehand.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#40 2015-02-08 13:33:01

ylvs
Mantis

Not that much time if you consider he also wrote Bobby Dollar 3 while planning TLK...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#41 2015-02-08 13:47:29

Olaf
Mantis
Website

But I think he spent roughly a year planning the whole trilogy. He has frequently stated that this was the most planning he has ever done for a project.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#42 2015-02-08 17:41:36

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

All I could think looking at that list was, damn, the man writes fast.

#43 2015-02-09 09:04:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Marian wrote:

All I could think looking at that list was, damn, the man writes fast.

So true! Wow.

#44 2015-02-09 13:01:25

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Deb won't be seeing it for a while yet, as I still have to clean up my first draft.  A lot of name changes, plot point changes, and bits where I couldn't be arsed to look up the details or figure them out while I was in full flow, and so on, that have to be dealt with before anyone gets to read it.

But overall I'm pretty happy.  It FEELS like a book, and there are moments when I feel I hit the sweet spot.  I'm still re-reading though, so I can't give you an overall impression yet.

Thanks for all the support, my friends.  It makes it so much more fun, and even a bit easier.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#45 2015-02-09 13:05:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*dances a merry jig at seeing Tad come out from behind the mountainous manuscript for a moment*

Of course it feels like a book. What would it feel like otherwise? Jello?

I sent you guys an email, hope you got it!

We are so excited, Tad. And every day, more people are finding out about the new books!

#46 2015-02-09 14:12:20

ylvs
Mantis

Yeah for Dog talking to us and yeah for our nonsense helping a bit.

Firs, I gather you are referring to an email to Tad&Deb? They surely got it but it might take time for them to answer (no assistant and stuff).
For the minuscule chance I am meant with you guys - the answer is no.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#47 2015-02-09 15:53:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yes, T&D.

#48 2015-02-10 15:36:21

Zim28
Pilgrim
Website

Really looking forward to it.  An unexpected treat to find out that the rough/first draft is complete.

I was "Dan" back on Shadowmarch.

#49 2015-02-10 19:31:05

Tad
Hierarch
Website

I'm reading it now and am about two thirds of the way through the ms.  I alternate between bouts of "Oh, this tired old crap again" and, "You know, with a good wind behind me and fair skies, I can write okay sometimes."  Which is pretty much what I always feel reading my first drafts.

I may have to wait until the whole thing's done before I can talk in any detail about what it's been like writing a sequel, but it's been interesting.  The choices are very different, as are the worries, from writing an unconnected book.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#50 2015-02-15 21:23:57

gopher
Pilgrim

Years ago, back in 1988, I purchased the new hardcover of The Dragonbone Chair on my way to to college in Toronto. Had some extra $$ and the cover blurb looked interesting. I loved the book so much I wrote the publisher a note asking when the sequel would be out, and I received a letter in response. It was a form letter, but it was signed by Tad (very nice, thank you Tad). I used it as a bookmark for a couple years until I lost it when working at a cottage resort one summer as a lifeguard. Grease fire in the tent I was living in, long story, ha ha.

Anyhoo, I've been following the news of the new series with anticipation. I honestly never thought I'd see a return to Osten Ard as Tad said the series nearly killed him and/or had too many negative memories. Thank you so much for doing this Tad, if for no other reason than that I feel 25 years younger and looking forward to once again walking those treacherous Qanuc paths.

Board footer