Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-15 01:16:59

Olaf
Mantis
Website

The Last King of Osten Ard Progress Report

THE PROGRESS REPORT

How far along are you in the first book?

For those who like to know things like this, I just counted up (since I'm working in separate chapters and not running a full-manuscript pagination) and I'm 115 pages into TWC.  (In Elvritshalla, by the way.  Which in a sense I'm visiting for the first time, so it's pretty cool.)

Anyway, if it makes anyone anxious, I don't need to make status reports, but every now and then I thought it might be fun.  Also it will assure you that I'm actually working, not enjoying the life of luxury I so desperately need but will probably never get.

[Posted on April 22nd]

I'm writing, trust me.  Manuscript sits at 196 pages at this point, middle of Chapter Twelve.

Chapter twelve so far is almost all interactions between new characters and one character who was a minor in MS&T, but is a major one here.

As far as how I'm feeling about it, very good so far, which is why I'm steaming along at a good clip.  Although I'm also trying a slightly different approach, which is to be more conventional in my methodology (as I have been with the Bobby Dollar books and the last two volumes of Shadowmarch) and not trying to get every world building detail right in the first draft, and every pretty phrase, but trying to tell the story quickly and efficiently.  THEN I'll go back in the rewrite and make sure it has that Tad-ness (whatever the hell that is -- I know it when I see it).  It helps that I spent so long planning TLK that I know more about the structure than I've ever known with another novel.

I can promise you quite a bit of Utuk'ku in TLK, and more than a few subsidiary villains as well.  I must say that (spoiler alert) I have no current plans to revive Ingen Jegger.  But you never know what will happen as I wind my way through the book...

[Posted on May 3rd]

Just to let you know I'm somewhere between two hundred and two hundred and fifty pages in.  (Haven't counted lately.)  Currently in Elvritshalla and the Hayholt, but also about to be in the Lake Thrithings.  Themes are thick and fast on the ground.  Not surprising, since I've been here before.

[Posted on May 13th]

Hi, guys.  I've been absent for a bit, due to family emergencies (sick dog we thought we might lose, but he's better now) and work pressure.  Also, I lost my ability to log in for a bit.  But I'm back.

That's all I had to say, except you'll be seeing me again here and elsewhere.  Carry on.

Oh, and I've had a lot of other things going on, so I'm only at about page 400 of the book, but I'm back into a stretch where I can work on it full-time again.

[Posted on September 12th]

Hi, folks.  Just wanted to mention that I've started Part Two (not the second novel but the second part of the first novel).  That's meaningless without context, but for me it's the various subplots starting to come together and interact with each other, and some of the new ones finally introduced.

[Posted on September 18th]

Just to let you all know, I hit a nice little milestone today -- 555 pages of the 1st draft, end of Chapter 30.  I've actually had time again to get into a rhythm, and it's amazing how much faster it goes when I have dedicated working time and thinking time.

[Posted on October 21st]

Politics will definitely show up in these books.

Nabban is a major focus.

I've just crested 700 pages after a REALLY difficult last few weeks.  Remodel, everything in the house stashed in various rooms and therefore unfindable, HUGE flea attack (because of new cat) leading to sick cat in the hospital on life support (now apparently going to survive and be okay).  Third major pet breakdown in a month or two leading to hospitalization and fear of pet-extinction.  And about ninety other things, including birthdays, Smarchmoots (not everything bad, see?) and various other attention-distracters.

But the book continues!  Y'all let me know if the fleas creep thematically into the finished product.  I'm too close.  And too itchy.

[Posted on December 3rd]

The rest of life has been a bit chaotic and crappy lately, what with all the serious pet illnesses (fortunately everyone okay) and such, but at least I'm writing. I think because I'm coming to the end of the first volume, which was a bit planned already, I'm getting on with things at a very good clip. I'll crest 800 pages this weekend, I think, God willing and the river don't rise. (Or gully-cataract, in our case, which is certainly roaring most fiercely.)

In more specific, non-Facebook detail for the Message Board Of Directors:

I'm really feeling the book now.  I think the only big difference, at least at this point, between this and the previous story is that this one moves a little faster and jumps into multi-person POV pretty much immediately.  The "moves faster" part may not be so obvious after I revise and put in some of the detail I skipped over in the heat of first-drafting, but I think it will probably still feel this way.  (Thus, for returning readers, I will have to make sure it still feels pretty similar in terms of depth of character and background.)

Because I have been taking it in big bites, and doing very little revision, it will be extremely interesting to sit down and read it straight through before revising.  I'll tell you what it feels like when the time comes, probably sometime in January.

Oh, and purely because it's the type of happy nerdery that I would enjoy myself, here are some names of characters that have either appeared or been mentioned in TWC.  (Warning, this list is not complete, it's just the ones I remembered to copy over as I went.  A familiar character not appearing is in no way a suggestion that they don't appear in the story.  Nor are these all the new characters, either, and some of the new ones here are minor.)

Oh, and because I'm mean, I'm not giving any of them their titles, because that would give too much away.  HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Aditu
Akhenabi
Astrian
Binabik
Drojan
Drusis
Eolair
Etan
Fremur
Goh Gam Gar
Grimbrand
Hakatri
Hugh
Hyara
Idela
Isgrimnur
Jarnulf
Jeremias
Jhesa
Jiriki
John Josua
Khibi-Ya
Kulva
Lillia
Little Snenneq
Makho
Miriamele
Morgan
Narvi -- Baron
Nezeru
Olveris
Ommu the Whisperer
Osric
Pasevalles
Porto
Pryrates
Qina
Rinan
Saluceris
Saojemi
Simon
Sisqi
Takeru
Tiamak
Tsoja/Tsoji
Tylleth
Udrig
Unver
Utuk’ku
Viyeki
Vorzheva

[Posted on December 12th]

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2014-12-15 08:17:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: The Last King of Osten Ard Progress Report

Just a note: Those are all likely to be manuscript page numbers. Hardcover page numbers should be roughly 2/3 of that. That's ~500 pages so far and the books is not quite done, though getting close. The second draft is shorter for most books, yet Tad left a lot of worldbuilding and dialogue polish to the second draft, so it's likely to be somewhat longer in this case. The end result appears to be in the 600-700 page hardcover range, which is quite MS&T like.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#3 2014-12-16 14:45:42

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Tad posted on Twitter that the word count for TWC is currently at 264.000 words.

https://twitter.com/tadwilliams/status/ … 6875238400

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2014-12-16 14:54:05

ylvs
Mantis

I wanted to ask that for some time now: where did your twitter go, Olaf?

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#5 2014-12-16 14:58:31

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I did delete that some time ago. In an attempt to decrease my online time and increase my reading time. Did not really work out the way I planned, but I do want to spend less time on the internet (excluding all things Tad and Smarch) and spend more time on reading and getting back into writing.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#6 2014-12-16 15:06:08

ylvs
Mantis

I think I noticed during wfc that you were gone.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#7 2014-12-18 18:17:14

JirikisLoveSlave
Pilgrim
Website

Okay there's my love's name.... Jiriki....

Where is Derra? But he said it doesn't mean she's not in there......

lol! This post has me freaking out! I'm such a dork.

Last edited by JirikisLoveSlave (2014-12-18 18:17:30)

#8 2015-01-17 06:35:54

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

From Deborah's twitter:

At dinner. Tad talking #WitchwoodCrown.
'I've about 70pp to go to finish first draft which will then grow again in revision...
'The finished thing will comein at about 1000 to 1100 pp. about 330 words per page'
'I'll know much better what I've got when I sit down to read it before rewrite...'
'I'll probably release chapter titles in the next few weeks' #TheWitchwoodCrown

#9 2015-01-17 06:50:32

Susan Queen of the Univ
Pilgrim

Awesomeness!!

"I maked these."  -Gall Bladder

#10 2015-01-17 07:55:12

ylvs
Mantis

*dances happy dance*

Scrollbearer

#11 2015-01-17 08:07:05

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

*dances happy dance*

*joins the dancing*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#12 2015-01-17 09:01:04

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

ylvs wrote:

*dances happy dance*

*joins the dancing*

*joins the joined dancing*

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#13 2015-01-17 10:00:27

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*joins the dancing*

Yay for the chapter titles! A new toy for us monkeys to continue the speculations! :D

Last edited by Merenwen (2015-01-17 10:01:26)

#14 2015-01-17 10:10:36

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*throws Merenwen a banana*

#15 2015-01-17 10:14:24

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*catches the banana*

*climbs her tree*

#16 2015-01-17 11:11:57

redNathalie
Pilgrim

*squeee*

*shakes the tree*

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#17 2015-01-19 14:47:38

Olaf
Mantis
Website

new radio interview with some discussion of LAST KING

http://www.itsaquestionofbalance.com/ca … ng-author/

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#18 2015-01-20 09:09:49

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

new radio interview with some discussion of LAST KING

http://www.itsaquestionofbalance.com/ca … ng-author/

Thanks Olaf! Good stuff. I blogged a bit about this radio interview.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#19 2015-02-03 23:39:55

ylvs
Mantis

Deborah on Twitter wrote:

BTW Tad will probably finish his first draft of #TheWitchwoodCrown today. So I get to read it soon. #HappyTweet #TLKOOA

Yeah, verily YEAH!

Scrollbearer

#20 2015-02-04 00:46:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Soooo awesome. Thanks for announcing it here, Ylvs!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#21 2015-02-04 00:50:40

ylvs
Mantis

Saw it before I went to bed last night but was too tired to post. I am surprised that Marian did not beat me to it. And yes, awesomeness overload.

*giggles*

Scrollbearer

#22 2015-02-04 01:36:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I quickly blogged a little bit about the news. So exciting! I wonder what Deborah will be thinking as she reads?

#23 2015-02-04 04:29:21

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks for posting this Ylvs, I wanted to do that, but of course I did something else and forgot...

#24 2015-02-04 12:53:51

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Wooohooo!!! Thanks ylvs, best news today :D or this week, year, whatever :)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#25 2015-02-05 07:44:11

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Yeah, these are great news. But I'm a bit jealous of Deborah now. ;)

Board footer