Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-26 02:57:48

audacious
Pilgrim

Otherland Audiobooks

The first two books are available to pre-order from audible.com but are not listed on audible.co.uk, does anyone know if and when they will be available in the UK???

#2 2014-10-26 03:24:17

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: Otherland Audiobooks

Audible Germany usually has the books up a few days as after they have become available in the US, so I assume it will be the same for the UK.

In Germany,  there are never pre-orders for Tad's English - language books on Audible.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2014-10-26 05:06:34

audacious
Pilgrim

I hope you are right and they will be added in the next few days however lots of titles released on audible.com never seem to make it to audible.co.uk or don't arrive for mnoths or even years after US release.

#4 2014-10-26 21:40:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Welcome, Audacious! :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2014-11-03 01:01:13

ylvs
Mantis

I just downloaded both books (City and River) from audible.de So I am all set for the flight to DC!

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#6 2014-11-03 07:29:21

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Thanks Ylvs for reminding me.
Also downloaded both books today!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#7 2014-11-03 07:34:36

ylvs
Mantis

*curtsies*

't was my pleasure, Sir.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#8 2014-11-03 12:29:34

audacious
Pilgrim

Well, they are available on audible.com and now audible.de but still not on audible.co.uk.....it's not looking good for us Brits. Can anyone offer some hope we will be getting them? Have emailed audible but they don't reply!

#9 2014-11-03 12:33:24

ylvs
Mantis

audacious, that is a shame!

*conmiserates*

Can't you create an account for the US or Germany? I know I hab an US account for a book that was not available here.

Scrollbearer

#10 2014-11-04 12:39:44

audacious
Pilgrim

Afraid that's not possible as you can now only open an account if you live in that country, sounds like audible closed some loophole that allowed you a US account. Found out today they are also available on audible France so looks like the UK is being excluded due to regional publishing rights, very depressing!

I would buy the books on disc from overseas but it seems this only available for download so looks like I'm stuck

#11 2014-11-04 13:50:29

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Don´t give up yet.
The audiobooks don´t always appear on all sites at the same time. Maybe it just takes a while longer to upload them in the UK.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#12 2014-11-05 12:47:26

audacious
Pilgrim

Just got a reply from the US publisher of the audiobooks which doesn't sound to hopeful, seems nobody even owns the audiobook rights in the UK!

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Rosa Martinez)    11/05/2014 10:46 AM
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your patience while this was being researched. Our Audio department advised since we do not control UK audio rights there’s no way for us to make this available in the UK unless a UK publisher purchases the audio rights and decides to use our program.

#13 2014-11-05 20:44:39

Ostrael Firsfronson
Pilgrim

How can such popular books not even have a publisher for the audio?!

Tad, your English-language audio rights for MS&T and Otherland are really messed up!

#14 2014-11-09 14:05:40

audacious
Pilgrim

Agreed and yes we can't get MS&T here either, surely there must be a way for UK fans to get these audiobooks? I would happily pay for them on cd but cannot find them listed anywhere. It's bad enough now that I would consider downloading from, shall we say, unofficial sites?

#15 2014-11-09 14:30:45

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Unfortunately,  it seems as if the British audible site has the fewest Tad audiobooks of the audible sites.  Copyright can be tricky.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#16 2015-01-24 20:10:23

geoffw35
Pilgrim

It's too bad the way these licensing deals work--or don't work, as the case may be. There are audible books I'd like to have that are available in the UK, but not here in the states.

I've finished listening to the two audible Otherland novels. Does anyone know whether the final two are forthcoming?

Geoff

#17 2015-01-24 21:04:34

cyan
Mantis

Welcome aboard, Geoff!

geoffw35 wrote:

It's too bad the way these licensing deals work--or don't work, as the case may be.

Every deal is different, for licensing or anything else.  Unless you've actually read the contract, it's hard to say whether or not it 'worked' for those involved.  Details, always the devilish details!

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#18 2015-01-25 00:31:49

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Volume 3 & 4 of the Otherland audiobooks will be available on March 17th.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#19 2015-01-25 00:32:38

ylvs
Mantis

geoffw35 wrote:

It's too bad the way these licensing deals work--or don't work, as the case may be. There are audible books I'd like to have that are available in the UK, but not here in the states.

I've finished listening to the two audible Otherland novels. Does anyone know whether the final two are forthcoming?

Geoff

According to Olaf, our high and mighty bibliographer it'll be in March.

Scrollbearer

#20 2015-01-25 00:33:23

ylvs
Mantis

And hive mind strikes again.

Scrollbearer

#21 2015-01-25 00:34:09

ylvs
Mantis

On my birthday even? Sweet.

Scrollbearer

#22 2015-01-25 06:26:52

geoffw35
Pilgrim

Thanks for your responses.

#23 2015-02-25 05:14:07

audacious
Pilgrim

Audible UK now have all the Otherland and MS&T titles but they are the German Language versions which are not a lot of use to 99.9% of audible UK members! As much as I love these books I'm not going to learn German to listen to them!

Olaf wrote:

Unfortunately,  it seems as if the British audible site has the fewest Tad audiobooks of the audible sites.  Copyright can be tricky.

#24 2015-02-25 12:51:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

audacious wrote:

Audible UK now have all the Otherland and MS&T titles but they are the German Language versions which are not a lot of use to 99.9% of audible UK members! As much as I love these books I'm not going to learn German to listen to them!

No, of course not. I have always felt it was a major mistake from Tad's publishers that they never did MS&T in English. We were told years ago that there were plans. Those plans, however, never bore fruit, sadly.

Das ist nein gut!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#25 2015-02-25 12:56:01

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Well, with the new Osten Ard books coming up, I am sure there will be a full set of OA audiobooks in the very near future!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

Board footer