Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-09 15:33:17

jlouderb
Pilgrim

Robert Dollar

interesting story on Robert Dollar and his radio station network in the '20s from the Pacifica California tribune yesterday.  I wonder if this is where the inspiration for the name came from.

http://www.mercurynews.com/pacifica/ci_ … ored-shore

Just getting to these now, great books.  part way through number 2.

Nice to read a series that takes place in my backyard.  Sort of.

jim

#2 2014-10-09 23:59:42

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Robert Dollar

Welcome to Smarch, Jim!

I didn't know this Robert Dollar at all! That article is interesting. Thanks for sharing. Now I, too, wonder if there is a connection.

Book Two! I found it difficult to get into. But once I was about 100 pages in, I could not stop reading it. I couldn't tear my eyes away. Happy reading! :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2016-03-24 13:58:59

WmT
Pilgrim

Actually, I feel a bit like the last Bobby Dollar book, sleeping late on Judgement Day is a bit like my life of late, minus the drinking....

Anyone else feel that way?

I used to post on alt.magick, alt.buddhist.tibetan message board back in the mid 80's early 90's

my username was pretty well known then.............just seeing what is out there....I prefer fact to fiction

though sometimes interpretation interferes from a cultural semantic basis.....dealing with Sumerian stuff is different than dealing with Egyptian Stuff is different than dealing with Haida stuff is different than dealing with people that dabble in "the arts" as a power thing

like Iain M. Banks, Neal Stephenson, Tom Robinson/Mark Twain, Frank Herbet, Morgan, and Most of Mr. Williams work....I appreciate things that expand the viewpoint.

#4 2016-03-27 21:28:41

cyan
Mantis

Welcome to the boards, WmT!

I recently talked with Tad about writing Bobby Dollar.  He said that [paraphrasing] BD is the closest to him in humor and disposition than any character he's ever written.  (To which I replied, yeah that's totally your snark.)

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#5 2016-04-05 14:57:31

WmT
Pilgrim

Thanks Cyan,

RE: Tad W's personality, I kind of figured that...........Tad has a wide range of insights about things.

Mythology was always a big part of my life, suffice it to say I was surprised that most Mythology wasn't myth.

Things are much stranger than I anticipated.

0106/2016 11:42am CST:
Cyan,
I just looked at your lovely pictures online, I didn't realize that highlighting meant links.....silly me. Nice work, and personal interactions with the author!! Thanks for sharing!!

WmT

Last edited by WmT (2016-04-06 10:43:13)

#6 2016-04-05 16:28:05

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I walk by the Robert Dollar Buidling in SF on my walk from BART to work, three days a week. :-)

(And I first noticed its name because it's an Ingress portal.)

Last edited by Auros (2016-04-05 16:28:49)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

Board footer