Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-10 17:33:09

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Guardians of the Galaxy

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy today, which was brainless fun. No deep, thought-provoking ideas, but it's so over-the-top in every scene that you eventually just go with it. It turned out to be quite a fun movie. Anyone else see it yet?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2014-08-11 00:05:59

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Starts here in two weeks. I plan to see it and I am looking forward to it. Brainless fun is my kind of movie.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2014-08-11 09:19:20

redNathalie
Pilgrim

We saw it! It was awesome! Seriously, I have very low expectations for superhero/comic book movies, so they usually manage to exceed them—there aren't many I don't enjoy. But this one, I really was just expecting something silly. Way better than I thought it would be. When it was over, we (my kids and I) all immediately started talking about when we could see it again.

Also thought it was cool that there were a few minutes of "origin" or backstory (if you can even call it that) in the beginning, and then the movie jumped right into the action. Rare for this kind of story to skip the usual pre-hero development plotline and just show kick-ass stuff right up front.

(Although there was, of course, development. But this character seemed essentially the same kind of person throughout the movie, which isn't how these things usually go.)

The day after we watched it, my younger son started re-watching Firefly...because he said GotG reminded him of it. Now that's a compliment.

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#4 2014-08-11 10:56:22

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I absolutely loved it, but I'm a fan for the Marvel Cinematic Universe in general -- what they did with integrating Winter Soldier into the plot of an ongoing TV show was kind of mind-blowing.  Nobody's ever done anything like that before.  (And the whole project of having multiple interlocking movie series all in the same setting is, on its own, unprecedented and hugely ambitious.)

OK, it wasn't Shakespeare, but GotG was satisfying for a blockbuster, and had great dynamics within the cast.  They wrung a moment of real pathos out of an animated raccoon and a twig -- you have to give some credit for that.  And I really liked the contributions of the bit players, like Denarian Saal and Rhomann Dey.

I'm hoping that the scheduling will work out that we get Avengers 2 (Age of Ultron), then GotG 2 (working out Peter Quill's origins), then either A3 or a mash-up between the two of them that finishes off the Infinity Gauntlet story (which has been having groundwork laid for it since the first Thor film -- the Gauntlet was seen in the armory), and then they let the Guardians play out their best storyline from the comics, dealing with the Many-Angled Ones.  (That plot also brings Thanos' story to a satisfactory conclusion.)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#5 2014-08-11 17:04:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

redNathalie wrote:

The day after we watched it, my younger son started re-watching Firefly...because he said GotG reminded him of it. Now that's a compliment.

Yeah, I can sort of see that. It has that same sort of gritty feel. Lots of outlaws. Ragtag team of misfits. And the main guy has his own space ship.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#6 2014-08-11 17:07:04

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

OK, it wasn't Shakespeare, but GotG was satisfying for a blockbuster, and had great dynamics within the cast.  They wrung a moment of real pathos out of an animated raccoon and a twig -- you have to give some credit for that.

The twig thing was hilarious. And the tree dude got many of the best lines.

#7 2014-10-26 14:02:59

ylvs
Mantis

Finally managed to see it today and liked it a lot.
I bet it was the first time many kids saw a walkman or a tape.

#8 2014-10-26 14:34:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Finally managed to see it today and liked it a lot.
I bet it was the first time many kids saw a walkman or a tape.

I bet you're right!

#9 2014-10-27 01:27:11

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Saw it twice at the movies. This is the Star Wars movie Lucas should have made!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#10 2015-01-17 12:04:28

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Olaf wrote:

Saw it twice at the movies. This is the Star Wars movie Lucas should have made!

interesting comment :) It was miles better than the Star Wars prequels, so yeah why not. But I think I would prefer my Star Wars without any comic relief.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#11 2015-01-17 12:31:14

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Star Wars was always leavened with a little bit of comedy, but in the first two films, it mostly came from the heros having a sense of humor (especially Han).  It was when Lucas started creating entire species to point and laugh at (Ewoks, Gungans), that things went off the rails.

#12 2015-01-17 13:31:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

Star Wars was always leavened with a little bit of comedy, but in the first two films, it mostly came from the heros having a sense of humor (especially Han).  It was when Lucas started creating entire species to point and laugh at (Ewoks, Gungans), that things went off the rails.

Good observation. But there's more to the Lucas Problem than just comic relief species: Leaden dialogue (especially between Padme/Anakin), revisionist history (Han shot first, "A New Hope"), offensive stereotypes (JarJar, the "Asian aliens"), bad casting (the kid who played Anakin), over-reliance on CGI, not paying attention to established history (Leia remembered her mother in ROTJ), and bad scripts (the fastest way from one place to another is somehow through the planet's core), and Lucas' reliance on "yes men"  all helped cause the decline in Star Wars.

Not that the problems are limited to the above.

One thing that particularly galls me is Lucas' insistence that he is right and fans of his original films are wrong. Statements like "The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo to be a cold-blooded killer" are simply not true, and ignore the fact that we all remember how the original scene went, and Lucas somehow wants us to forget the original films for his revisionist version of the films. Like you can take classics and stick bad CGI on them, change the storylines, and add senseless material, and fans are supposed to eat it up.

#13 2015-01-17 13:41:21

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Thank God he has nothing to do with the new films.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#14 2015-01-17 17:32:48

lian
Pilgrim
Website

Yo Firs, this is super OT, but your invective reminded me of a great article I read about the influence of Marcia Lucas, George's first wife. I'm not super interested in Star Wars per se, but  it's a fascinating glimpse at film history of the 70s and 80s seen through a personal lense.

The Secret History of Star Wars: In Tribute to Marcia Lucas

#15 2015-01-18 11:06:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

A Lian sighting! Hey Lian! :)

So a big part of Lucas' success was Marcia Lucas? Interesting, and not something I have ever, ever heard before. Great stuff. I buy it.

That article goes into great depth, and I skimmed some of it, but it's clear that Mrs. L was a big part of what made SW great. And sad how her contributions were later whitewashed.

(Sorry for the thread hijackery, folks).

#16 2015-01-18 12:31:57

ylvs
Mantis

Interesting article, indeed, Lian.

Can anybody tell me why the bbcoding did not work in lian's post? I stared at it for minutes and cannot find the mistake...

#17 2015-01-18 12:37:54

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

Interesting article, indeed, Lian.

Can anybody tell me why the bbcoding did not work in lian's post? I stared at it for minutes and cannot find the mistake...

There is a linebreak in the URL, the board doesn't seem to like that and just ignores it silently.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#18 2015-01-18 12:39:04

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

A Lian sighting! Hey Lian! :)

My thought as well, but I didn't want to derail the topic and chase young women.
Hmm.... *waves wildly, grinning like an idiot*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#19 2015-01-18 12:53:29

redNathalie
Pilgrim

*shamelessly chases the young woman* Hello lian!!! ^_^

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#20 2015-01-18 16:17:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

There is a linebreak in the URL, the board doesn't seem to like that and just ignores it silently.

Now fixed. :)

It's one of those deadly, invisible coding problems. You could stare at it all day, but a problematic line break isn't even visible to the naked eye! A truly evil little critter.

#21 2015-01-18 16:20:38

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

And now we have even hijacked the hijacking of this poor thread! Good thing *I* started this thread, because I don't care if threads get hijacked! That's the fun of discussion boards!

#22 2015-01-18 16:27:18

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I think Peter Quill approves of hijacking things.

Or at least, Rocket definitely does.

#23 2015-01-18 17:08:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

So, according to the link that Lian shared, the break-up of George and Marcia Lucas caused the end of good Lucas films. So we're doomed to watch terrible Lucas productions forever?

Unless... Unless we get those crazy love-birds back together, somehow!

*plots a Marcia/George Lucas reunion, Parent Trap-style*

Now, who to play Hayley Mills...?

#24 2015-01-19 04:11:54

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I doubt he has any voice in this now, so we should be safe.
Someone else is going to ruin it for him :p

#25 2015-01-19 12:34:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I doubt he has any voice in this now, so we should be safe.

No. No, as Olaf says above, he's been completely sidelined from having anything to do with SW. Which is good. But what about other films? He's got a ton of money, now, from the buyout. He can keep making bad films, just not bad SW films!

I say the Parent Trap solution is the only way. Who's with me?

Someone else is going to ruin it for him :p

Bwah! Yes. But they couldn't make a bigger mess than it already is, IMO. Only one direction: up!

Board footer