Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » e-Books
  •  » References in ebooks: paragraph-number?

#1 2014-06-22 00:19:02

aphis
Pilgrim

References in ebooks: paragraph-number?

In physical RL-books made of paper it is clear: the smallest reference you can use is the page and sometimes you can sage: page blabla paragraph blibli.

I asked myself if there is an ebook-software counting the paragraph and showing the paragraph number. In old times as a tried to make a dissertation i read the "Logic of Scientific Discovery" and i found it bright every paragraph is numbered (although it was an RL-pBook (Real Life Paper-Book) only.

In the bible every sentence is numbered.

For referencing in discussions especially for tads work translated in many languages it would be helpful if the paragraph-numbers could be shown optionally. Because the page-numbers are not the same in the different languages but the paragraph-numbers.

Is there anybody who knows if there is eBook-Software showing paragraph-numbers? Or is this impossible because of the eBook-Format does not allow thins?

Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today.

#2 2014-06-23 09:34:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: References in ebooks: paragraph-number?

Aphis,

According to this article, it's possible to show page numbers (but not paragraph numbers) on the Kindle. This article says that the Kindle has what are called "location numbers".

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2014-06-23 19:34:13

cyan
Mantis

Hi Aphis!  I think your question has more to do with the level of information provided by the publisher to e-book seller.  I've never seen a printed novel* with the paragraphs numbered so I wouldn't expect to see it on the electronic version either.  The only e-reader I own is a Kindle, and it gives options to display page number, location, or time left in chapter or book (which is not helpful at all if you tend fall asleep while reading like I do).  You have to go to the table of contents menu to figure out what chapter you're in, but that's not much different from an RL printed book either.  Rarely does a print book show chapter number at the top of the page, you still have to flip back to the beginning of the chapter for that info.

* The bible is it's own unique thing.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#4 2014-06-23 22:28:14

aphis
Pilgrim

cyan wrote:

Hi Aphis!  I think your question has more to do with the level of information provided by the publisher to e-book seller.  I've never seen a printed novel* with the paragraphs numbered so I wouldn't expect to see it on the electronic version either.  The only e-reader I own is a Kindle, and it gives options to display page number, location, or time left in chapter or book (which is not helpful at all if you tend fall asleep while reading like I do).  You have to go to the table of contents menu to figure out what chapter you're in, but that's not much different from an RL printed book either.  Rarely does a print book show chapter number at the top of the page, you still have to flip back to the beginning of the chapter for that info.

* The bible is it's own unique thing.

hi cyan,
thank you for answer.

i do not want printed paragraph-numbers in printed books (beside the bible and scientific publications like "The Logic of Scientific Discovery" from Karl Popper.
But with eBooks the situation has changed because of the changeable font-size. A screen-page is not the same as the printed page (shown in the ebook-software i know).
I think in ebook-file-format it is deifned like in html-format how a paragraph is defined and as like in many word-processors it should be possible a) to show at every page the title of the chapter i a reading ans b) to show at every paragaraph  b1) with paragraph-number of the current page or b2) with paragraph-nuimber of the current chapter or b3) with paragraph-number of the current book. I think the processors of ebook-hardware are strong enough to count this, no work from the editor is necessary. From the word-processors like MS-Word it is known, that you can display the title of the section (chapter) as header or footer and the page-number inside of this section.
In my reading-groups (i mean real-life-reading-groups) sometime we are reading older novels like "Emma Bovary" with different translations from french to german and so the page-numbers of the same quote are different. But the paragraph-numer is the same because the translator does not change paragraph-breaks.
And i think with paragraph-numbers in eBooks it's the same and because the costs of producing an eBook are not so high (i think) it could be possible to get an illustrated version of Tads "Otherland" or "MST" and even then the paragraph-numbers should be the same.
Maybe we should go to a kickstarter-page to led produce eBook-Software showing paragraph-numbers.

By the way: a funny thing with your kindle-book showing the time of reading (without checking if your eyes are closed). It remembers me to old times where a secretary has told me, that here electronic type-writer has a time-checker to tell her boss how long she was writing with this new expensive hardware (an ancestor of the personal computers). But what the secretary has done: she puts the ashtray on the keyboard of the electronic typewriter and smokes outside.

Yes - sometimes women are more intelligent than the engineers who have created the machines to control them.

... set the control for the heart of the sun ... (Pink Floyd)

Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today.

#5 2014-06-24 00:18:36

cyan
Mantis

Hi Aphis:

1) Book publishing (eletronically or otherwise) doesn't work quite the way you think.

2)

aphis wrote:

Yes - sometimes women are more intelligent than the engineers who have created the machines to control them.

The phrasing of your comment is so fraught with questionable intent that I would be within my right to ban you from these boards forever.  But I will give you the benefit of the doubt.  This one time.  Because I don't think you think those words mean what you think they mean.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

• Index
  •  » e-Books
  •  » References in ebooks: paragraph-number?

Board footer