Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-09-21 12:30:01

ylvs
Mantis

Re: The Last King of Osten Ard FAQ

*secretly hands Olaf a new cookie*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#52 2014-09-21 13:14:37

Olaf
Mantis
Website

*thanks*

*devours cookie before Firs can take it away*

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#53 2014-09-21 13:47:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Shhhh. Don't tell Firs.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#54 2014-10-18 12:05:20

ylvs
Mantis

Tad just mentioned on fsaceborg that WC is scheduled for spring 16.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#55 2014-10-18 12:20:11

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

That seems much more sensible than the tentative fall '15 he threw around earlier. 1,5 years seems like a good timeframe for a book that size and quality (and I certainly assume it is going to be MS&T sized).

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#56 2014-10-19 12:08:29

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Spring is, of course, not ideal for me... I guess we'll see when in spring, but I guess there's a big chance that taking time off to read/party won't be possible. (But if I can't do that then, there'll be two more books to try again... or, you know, maybe three more.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#57 2014-10-19 22:13:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

But if I can't do that then, there'll be two more books to try again... or, you know, maybe three more.

Bwahahaha!

Tad's really never been able to stick to three. It just doesn't happen.

I'm glad the book's release date has been pushed back. It gives Tad time to do the work without the pressure. You can't rush excellence. And even though Tad was writing very quickly, that would be a very hard pace to maintain.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#58 2014-10-20 03:22:47

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I think even at his initial pace it would have been hard to edit and publish the whole thing on time.

#59 2014-10-21 15:14:46

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Just to let you all know, I hit a nice little milestone today -- 555 pages of the 1st draft, end of Chapter 30.  I've actually had time again to get into a rhythm, and it's amazing how much faster it goes when I have dedicated working time and thinking time.

AND, I have a little request, and rather than just asking Firsfron, I thought I'd throw it out as a generalized question: Is there any mention of Ti-tuno, Camaris's horn, at the end of TGAT?  Does it disappear with him?  I'm on my second re-read of the books, but I'm a long way away from that point of the story right now and I may need to know first.

Anyone?

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#60 2014-10-21 15:30:00

JustCharlotte
Pilgrim

Hmm, I don't remember, which is not helpful! And I'm at work so don't have my books with me.  The last time I recall Ti-tuno playing a significant part is when Camaris sounds it and gains his memory back.  I don't recall any mention of it on his person from that time on.

Sorry Tad.  *apologetic*

#61 2014-10-21 17:17:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Tad wrote:

AND, I have a little request, and rather than just asking Firsfron, I thought I'd throw it out as a generalized question: Is there any mention of Ti-tuno, Camaris's horn, at the end of TGAT?  Does it disappear with him?  I'm on my second re-read of the books, but I'm a long way away from that point of the story right now and I may need to know first.

Anyone?

I did a machine-aided search to make sure this is accurate:

The last mention of Ti-tuno occurs on page 777 (TGAT2 paperback), when Josua is discussing his father. Whether or not Camaris still has the horn is not discussed. It is only discussed that Josua will be searching for him. The mention of Ti-tuno is simply:

TGAT2 wrote:

His agony was such that he gave away everything he had, as one who knows he will die and he must have felt he was dying, since every breath,every moment, was so full of pain and terrible shame. At
last he took the horn Ti-tuno and went in search of the Sithi, perhaps to expiate the sin of participating in John's persecution of them, or perhaps, like Elias, he hoped the wise immortals could help him reach his beloved beyond death. Whatever the aim of his pilgrimage, Amerasu brought him secretly to Jao e-Tinukai'i, for reasons of her own. I have not discovered all that happened: my father was so distraught when he told me it was hard to make sense of everything.

"In any case, Amerasu met with him and took the horn back, perhaps to keep it for him, perhaps because it had belonged to her lost sons. Exactly what passed between them is still a mystery to me, but apparently whatever she told him was no comfort.

The second-to-last time the horn is referenced is on page 664, when Camaris, Josua, Tiamak and the Sithi are below Asu'a. The horn doesn't actually appear, but Likimeya calls him "Hikka Ti-tuno". Presumably, he still had the horn with him then, since she probably wouldn't call him that if he wasn't still bearing the horn. So he likely had it with him in the tunnels below Asu'a.

There is no mention of the horn, that I could find, during the final confrontation on Green Angel Tower.

The last time the horn actually appears is on pages 317-318:

Just down the hill Isgrimnur saw a gleam of gold: it was Camaris. The duke watched him in amazement. Hours since the battle had begun, and although his movements seemed a little slower, still the old knight fought on with undiminished purpose. Camaris sat upright in his saddle, his movements as regular and unexcited as those of a farmer at work in his field. The battle horn swung at his side. Thorn whistled through the air like a black scythe, and where it touched, headless bodies fell like harvested wheat.

Hope this helps!

#62 2014-10-21 21:01:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Oh, and congrats on the 555 page milestone, Tad. And 30 chapters? That's already longer than Stone of Farewell, which was only 28 chapters! Pretty impressive, since it's been less than seven months since the official announcement!

#63 2014-10-22 00:18:16

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Cannot help with horn question, I am afraid.

But I updated the first post with new info.
Added spring 2016 as tentative pub date for book one and added the new milestone to the progress report.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#64 2014-10-22 11:11:21

kragadox
Pilgrim

The last mention of the horn that I could find was at the end of Chapter 53 in TGAT.  Camaris decides to head into the Hayholt by himself.  Josua catches up with him and tries to stop him.

Page 940 in TGAT hardcover.

TGAT wrote:

The old knight whirled and pulled Thorn from its scabbard. Although he seemed fearfully confused, he handled the sword with unthinking mastery. His horn Cellian dangled on its baldric, drawing Josua’s eye as it swung back and forth. “It is time,” Camaris whispered. He was barely audible above the waves that slapped on the shore below.

So I think Firs is right that Camaris had Ti-tuno/Cellian with him when he was under Asu'a.

#65 2014-10-22 12:17:09

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Krag! Yay! Thanks for the additional info!

#66 2014-10-23 19:04:31

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Thank you so much, Firsfron, and Krag, and everybody.  That's what I thought, but I was by no means sure enough to go ahead.  But now I know Ti-tuno can play a part in this book.  A cameo of sorts.  I think inanimate objects deserve love too.

-- Dylan

#67 2014-10-23 20:48:30

kragadox
Pilgrim

Three horns must come again! Oh wait...

#68 2014-10-23 23:23:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Bwah! I guess in this trilogy, we learn that Ti-tuno has two secret brother horns, one made of star-stone and one made of witchwood and iron?

And as long as you are showing some love to inanimate objects, Tad, I definitely want to see Binabik's knucklebones again. (The ones in the bag, of course. Though I hope Binabik still has his own knucklebones as well).

#69 2014-10-24 00:04:56

cyan
Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I guess in this trilogy

Trilogy? From Tad?  *laughs uproariously*

Miracles can happen, I suppose.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#70 2014-10-24 00:35:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I use the term 'trilogy' in its accepted form on this board:

with the healthy skepticism it so rightly deserves!

#71 2014-10-24 17:43:35

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Firsfron: "I have lost my knucklebones," said Binabik, waggling his fingers, which wobbled like puddings made in old woolen hose.  "Do you see, friend Simon?  It is making it most difficult for me to be playing at the piano."

31 chapters now, by the way, just started 32.

-- Dylan

#72 2014-10-24 20:03:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Bwahaha!

That's quite the visual, Tad.

#73 2014-10-25 02:33:15

Magpie
Mantis
Website

That sounds like Gilderoy Lockhart was involved.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#74 2014-10-25 06:49:08

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

32 chapters at ~600 pages of manuscript (which would be about 400 pages hardcover)? Sounds like the chapters are about half the length of those in the first tadrology.

#75 2014-10-25 11:21:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

32 chapters at ~600 pages of manuscript (which would be about 400 pages hardcover)? Sounds like the chapters are about half the length of those in the first tadrology.

I bet Tad will fill in more details on the second draft, which will expand the text somewhat.

I also hope he does more maps, with more detail.

Board footer