Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-05-12 10:59:10

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: ylV's Vegan Veranda

Peter wrote:

I am doing my very best not to add to your Vienna trauma, Magpie. Please note that public transport going crazy because of a marathon event is outside of my control...

Don't worry, I'm long over it. As long as I don't have to live there again, I have no problem with Vienna. (I think even living there would not be as problematic any more, as my biggest problem was being lonely and not having anyone to talk to, which is not that much of a problem any more thanks to the internet. But I still wouldn't want to live there.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2014-05-12 11:15:45

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

As far as I know, {IHOP} is the only place in a hundred mile radius where you can get lingonberry crepes.

(n.b.: I used {braces} rather than brackets to indicate modification of the quoted material because I'm not sure what would happen if I used brackets, b/c they're part of the BBcode syntax.)

Do you have an Ikea anywhere?  You can get lingonberry stuff in the little cafe there, and buy juice, jam, and perhaps other products in their shop.  Every now and then I go in and get a big jug of the juice concentrate.  They also have elderflower juice concentrate sometimes.  Yummy.

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#53 2014-05-12 11:19:01

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

xavie wrote:

Still talking about pancakes and what my mother used to make, there are also Apfelkräpfle, which may be even more delicious than any of the afore mentioned variations. It goes like this: Take an apple, peal it, remove the core and then slice it into thick rings. Coat the rings with pancake batter and fry them until batter is done and the apple rings are slightly softened. Then serve hot with whatever you like (preferably cinnamon and sugar). Mmmmm.

That sounds awesome.

We do, in America, have a tradition of tossing stuff into pancake batter before putting it on the griddle, but usually it's smaller pieces -- berries, banana slices, shredded coconut, diced apple, chocolate chips, nuts, crumbles of bacon.  Pretty much anything you can think of that will suspend well in the batter and not make your pancake fall completely to pieces by interrupting the batter all the way through too often.  It's part of the American creed: "Everything in excess." :-)

Last edited by Auros (2014-05-12 11:20:05)

#54 2014-05-12 12:52:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

As far as I know, {IHOP} is the only place in a hundred mile radius where you can get lingonberry crepes.

(n.b.: I used {braces} rather than brackets to indicate modification of the quoted material because I'm not sure what would happen if I used brackets, b/c they're part of the BBcode syntax.)

You can use [brackets] around most words without fear, Auros! :) Just don't use them around reserved BBcode words, like "quote", "i", etc.

Do you have an Ikea anywhere?  You can get lingonberry stuff in the little cafe there, and buy juice, jam, and perhaps other products in their shop.  Every now and then I go in and get a big jug of the juice concentrate.  They also have elderflower juice concentrate sometimes.  Yummy.

Sadly, the nearest Ikea store is 187 miles (one way) from my house (374 miles there and back). Otherwise, that would be a great idea.

I live in the suburbs, but at the very edge of civilization. Beyond my house is nothing but National Forest.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#55 2014-05-12 19:18:13

redNathalie
Pilgrim

It's quite possible to make vegan crepes, just by using margarine and a non-dairy milk like soy milk. Here is one recipe just for example.

American pancakes, however: I don't know why you'd bother trying to make those without the eggs, butter, and milk. Better to go eat something else instead, or just enjoy the pancakes as IHOP intended. Mmm.

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#56 2014-05-13 02:22:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

redNathalie wrote:

It's quite possible to make vegan crepes, just by using margarine and a non-dairy milk like soy milk. Here is one recipe just for example.

Woah! An actual on-topic post!

American pancakes, however: I don't know why you'd bother trying to make those without the eggs, butter, and milk. Better to go eat something else instead, or just enjoy the pancakes as IHOP intended. Mmm.

This vegan pancake recipe got 4.5 stars (out of 5) on Food.com, so it looks like a worthwhile endeavor.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#57 2014-05-13 02:56:33

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Beyond my house is nothing but National Forest.

... Which is not the worst neighbour by far.

Also, on topic: I'm unreasonably scared of dairy en egg substitutes. I do like lentils and beans and stuff, so I sometimes accidentally create vegan meals, but then I usually ruin them by adding chese. I think I'm a hopeless case.

#58 2014-05-14 01:59:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

xavie wrote:

Beyond my house is nothing but National Forest.

... Which is not the worst neighbour by far.

No, indeed.

Also, on topic: I'm unreasonably scared of dairy en egg substitutes. I do like lentils and beans and stuff, so I sometimes accidentally create vegan meals, but then I usually ruin them by adding chese. I think I'm a hopeless case.

Do you ever try non-dairy cheese, Xavie? If so, what were your thoughts?

#59 2014-05-22 10:18:22

redNathalie
Pilgrim

My coworker brought in a zinc deficiency testing kit today. You're at extra risk for zinc deficiency if you're vegan, eat bread/grains often, and exercise a lot. Since that describes me, I expected to score very badly on the test, but surprisingly it seems my status is somewhat adequate. A relief! Bread all around!

If anyone's interested, here's some information about zinc and the test.

*munches bready soft pretzels*

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#60 2014-05-25 13:15:48

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I learned how to properly cut mangoes today. Before I was randomly cutting and awkwardly skinning them, but I learned the cubing trick, which is much easier and less messy, haha. Now I have a new fruit I can cut up and eat or add to smoothies!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#61 2014-05-25 17:31:05

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I know the cubing thing, but I still prefer to deal with mangos by just applying a standard fruit/veggie peeler and then (very carefully) cutting the flesh off the core with a short filleting knife (very sharp, somewhat flexible -- so it traces the contours of the core properly).  The cubing methold loses more of the flesh, leaving it attached to the skin.

Last edited by Auros (2014-05-25 17:31:55)

#62 2014-05-25 17:33:49

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

BTW: I make a mean mango and sticky rice.  It's my favorite dessert.  Also, good for breakfast with some yogurt.  I have a lot of practice with mangos.

#63 2014-05-26 07:00:08

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

I learned how to properly cut mangoes today. Before I was randomly cutting and awkwardly skinning them, but I learned the cubing trick, which is much easier and less messy, haha. Now I have a new fruit I can cut up and eat or add to smoothies!

How does it work? I don't eat mango often, but I totally recognize the problem.

#64 2014-05-26 10:21:12

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

You cut lengthwise on either side of the pit. Then take a half and make a cross-hatch pattern. Just do like 3-4 vertical and maybe 7-8 horizontal. Only cut the flesh, don't pierce the skin. Then, you can invert it so the cubes are sticking up and you can cut them away from the skin.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#65 2014-05-26 21:50:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

xavie wrote:

Hey, when did you get over 1000 posts, Xavie?

Code:

)                                                )                        ____ 
 ( /(                                )     )      ( /(                       |   / 
 )\())    )                (      ( /(  ( /(      )\())    )   )   (     (   |  /  
((_)\  ( /(  `  )   `  )   )\ )   )\()) )\())    ((_)\  ( /(  /((  )\   ))\  | /   
 _((_) )(_)) /(/(   /(/(  (()/(  ((_)\ ((_)\     __((_) )(_))(_))\((_) /((_) |/    
| || |((_)_ ((_)_\ ((_)_\  )(_))  / (_)| |(_) )  \ \/ /((_)_ _)((_)(_)(_))  (      
| __ |/ _` || '_ \)| '_ \)| || |  | |  | / / /(   >  < / _` |\ V / | |/ -_) )\     
|_||_|\__,_|| .__/ | .__/  \_, |  |_|  |_\_\(_)) /_/\_\\__,_| \_/  |_|\___|((_)    
            |_|    |_|     |__/

#66 2014-05-27 05:40:14

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Five posts ago, obviously (or maybe six by now?)

Thanks, Ad1tu, I'll try that.

Last edited by xavie (2014-05-27 05:40:43)

#67 2014-05-27 15:56:10

ylvs
Mantis

Crosspost from the FeierabendMint:

Veggiesticks? What are they? I think we need a full recipe in your Veranda.

*puts Ylvs' delicious homemade veggiesticks on the grill*

Right. You slice zucchini, eggplant, ballpepper in 1cm thick slices, mushrooms (I take champignon) in halfs and put them on wood sticks (we call them Schaschlikspieße - I cannot find a translation so prolly it's another word English is lacking).
Then you mix olive oil with barbeque spice and marinade the veggie sticks.
Then you put them on the grill and when they look slightly burnt they're well done.

If you have a green Mojosauce ready to go with it you have a tasty dinner!

#68 2014-05-27 15:57:13

ylvs
Mantis

xavie wrote:

Hey, when did you get over 1000 posts, Xavie?

Code:

)                                                )                        ____ 
 ( /(                                )     )      ( /(                       |   / 
 )\())    )                (      ( /(  ( /(      )\())    )   )   (     (   |  /  
((_)\  ( /(  `  )   `  )   )\ )   )\()) )\())    ((_)\  ( /(  /((  )\   ))\  | /   
 _((_) )(_)) /(/(   /(/(  (()/(  ((_)\ ((_)\     __((_) )(_))(_))\((_) /((_) |/    
| || |((_)_ ((_)_\ ((_)_\  )(_))  / (_)| |(_) )  \ \/ /((_)_ _)((_)(_)(_))  (      
| __ |/ _` || '_ \)| '_ \)| || |  | |  | / / /(   >  < / _` |\ V / | |/ -_) )\     
|_||_|\__,_|| .__/ | .__/  \_, |  |_|  |_\_\(_)) /_/\_\\__,_| \_/  |_|\___|((_)    
            |_|    |_|     |__/

Happy 1000 xavie! There you are! Yay!

#69 2014-05-27 16:26:14

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Schaschlikspieße -- after a quick Google image search, appears to be kabob skewers, or just plain skewers.

Kabobs I think are cubed food on a stick... Usually meat n veg, or just veg. Some seafood places do shrimp skewers, just a line of shirmp on the stick and grilled. I've typically seen cubed beef alternated with sliced peppers and onions, too.

Eta: apparently kabob is supposed to be spelled kebab. Woopsies...

Last edited by Ad1tu (2014-05-27 16:28:05)

Tamishu's Ramblings

#70 2014-05-27 19:55:38

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ah, veggie kebabs! Thanks Ad1tu for the translation, and Ylvs for the description. Yes, we totally have these! We call them shish-kebabs, or, when only vegetables are skewered, veggie kebabs.

And, Ad1tu, the spelling is strangely not standardized. Google kept correcting me on the spelling of 'kebab', depending on if it was vegetarian or meat. Weird.

#71 2014-05-27 21:25:12

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Ad1tu wrote:

Schaschlikspieße -- after a quick Google image search, appears to be kabob skewers, or just plain skewers.

Kabobs I think are cubed food on a stick... Usually meat n veg, or just veg. Some seafood places do shrimp skewers, just a line of shirmp on the stick and grilled. I've typically seen cubed beef alternated with sliced peppers and onions, too.

Eta: apparently kabob is supposed to be spelled kebab. Woopsies...

The only people I've discovered using kebob are Americans. We call them kebabs, my Iraqi housemate calls them kebabs, and I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be kebabs.

But then again, the word is one of the many English has borrowed from other languages and butchers.

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#72 2014-05-28 13:06:49

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*shrug* My only defense for the poor spelling is that it's not something I eat, therefore I have not looked up recipes and have not been sufficiently exposed to proper spelling! :P

-bob.... -bab.... they totally sound the same!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#73 2014-05-31 11:49:32

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Oh I forgot to post about my awesome smoothie concoction!

1 champagne mango
1 white peach
2-3 medium strawberries
~1 c frozen yogurt

Usually I just do assorted berries. But this was freaking awesome. ... I'm totally gonna go make one now.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#74 2014-07-26 11:41:31

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Well I know this is the *vegan* veranda, but it was mentioned here, sooo... I discovered we have an actual crepiere locally. I've driven past it a bunch, but I never noticed the smaller print under the main logo, haha. Will have to investigate this place..

Tamishu's Ramblings

#75 2014-07-26 14:47:29

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Mmm... sounds delicious!

Board footer