Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-05-09 10:57:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: ylV's Vegan Veranda

Peter wrote:

We mostly make crepes here, instead of pancakes and crepes use the whole floor of a mid sized pan anyway. There are special crepe pans, but the main advantage is that they have only a tiny rim, so it's easier to flip the pancakes (using a tool, unless you are brave).

Crepes are quite rare, here. IHOP has crepes on their menu, but I suspect most people just get pancakes. There was a crepe restaurant here not too long ago, but they folded like a... crepe.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2014-05-09 23:48:03

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Peter wrote:

We mostly make crepes here, instead of pancakes and crepes use the whole floor of a mid sized pan anyway. There are special crepe pans, but the main advantage is that they have only a tiny rim, so it's easier to flip the pancakes (using a tool, unless you are brave).

Crepes are quite rare, here. IHOP has crepes on their menu, but I suspect most people just get pancakes. There was a crepe restaurant here not too long ago, but they folded like a... crepe.

I see what you did there ;)

I remember making crepes. I used to make about four hundred of them a day. Fun times.

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#28 2014-05-10 03:54:04

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

That sounds like a creppy job.

#29 2014-05-10 09:56:25

redNathalie
Pilgrim

For some reason we have a lot of crepe restaurants here, probably a dozen altogether. Why? Is Chicago particularly crepe-crazy? We even have a sidewalk crepe stand that sets up downtown in the summer, making and selling crepes to the work lunch and tourist crowds. They are pretty tasty, I must say.

I don't know why you'd go to IHOP and get a crepe. In fact I don't know why you'd go to IHOP and get anything other than the Rooty Tooty Fresh 'n Fruity®. I mean, seriously.

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#30 2014-05-10 12:18:29

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I have never had a crepe.. Are they tasty?

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#31 2014-05-10 14:45:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

You guys all crack me up. 'Creppy job', especially.

And Red, I agree about the Rooty Tooty Fresh 'n' Fruity®. I almost always get the blueberry, but sometimes, I get the strawberry. Their lingonberry crepes are good, but not nearly as filling, since crepes are thinner than pancakes.

Ad1tu, yes, crepes are delicious. If you have a crepe place, you should go now. If not, go to your local IHOP. They have crepes topped with lingonberry, strawberry, cinnamon apple, blueberry or... chicken. Don't ask me why they have chicken. No idea.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#32 2014-05-10 15:11:41

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

The classic version in Austria is filled with apricot jam, but ice cream and chocolate sauce is also very common. The most common non sweet version is filled with minced meat (fairly similiar sauce to spaghetti bolognese, but less fluid).

And Xavie totally nailed when she dropped the pun hammer!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#33 2014-05-10 16:27:18

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Thank you guys so much. I feel flattered. Also, I want to be nitpicky and clarify that crepe are actually quite different from the Austrian pancakes described by Peter. Pancakes are  a few millimeters thick (to people who don't know what a millimiter is: it's about a tenth of an American pancake) and they soak up all the delicious stuff you put on them, like cherry jam or applesauce. Crepe on the other hand are even thinner and made with water instead of milk and they have a weird, smooth, somehow rubbery consistency, which sounds disgusting now but is awesome because you can fill them with whatever you want (my favourite: mushrooms with fetta) and they won't soak through but instead the stuffing just comes squirting out through the edges when you take a bite. Both versions have their benefits and I love them equally, even though I'm better at making crepe than at making pancakes.

Also, my dear Austrian friends, we should teach these people about Kaiserschmarrn. But that's a story for another day.

Edited to add: Yes, Ad1tu, you should totally try them. That's what I wanted to say originally.

Last edited by xavie (2014-05-10 16:29:19)

#34 2014-05-11 00:06:43

ylvs
Mantis

I need to nitpick even further:

Crêpes always come with a sweet filling and are made of white flour.
Galettes are the ones with salty filling and the dough is slightly different.

#35 2014-05-11 03:20:11

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I'm definitely with Ylvs on this.

Crêpes are yummy, but the basic wheat-flour version is best reserved for sweet things.  My favorite variants are classic Jewish-American blintzen (stuffed with a creamy cheese filling -- something like ricotta or mascarpone -- then pan-fried and served with a jot of sour cream and either apple sauce or fruit), and classic French stuff like Crêpe Suzette.  There's also a salted-caramel version that I saw on a lot of menus in Spain.  (From observations in Tarragona, Valencia, Grenada, and Madrid, crêpe places seem to be to urban Spain what pizza joints are to New York, or curry shops to London.  They're ubiquitous, a lot of them stay open til all hours of the night, and even a not-very-good one will actually be pretty good, especially when compared to its price.)

Anyways, for savories, you don't want crêpes.  You want Bretagnese galettes, which are made with buckwheat flour, which makes them more crispy, less springy, and gives the galette itself a lot more flavor and texture.  (Also, significantly more nutritive value.)

We have a couple excellent galette places in SF, though the original one, Ti Couz, is defunct.  Happily, much of their equipment and several of their staff have come back together as Galette 88.  I used to patronized that place for lunch regularly, but then my company moved seven blocks further north, and now it's a bit of a hike.

Last edited by Auros (2014-05-11 03:29:27)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#36 2014-05-11 06:33:39

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks for pointing out the difference between galettes and crêpes - and the proper spelling of the latter one. I made the dough with buckwheat flour once and didn't like it, so I keep filling my crêpes with mushrooms, cheese and tomatoes *yum*

#37 2014-05-11 10:35:13

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*waits to hear about the Kaiserschmarrn, which Google indicates is a sort of chopped-up pancake*

#38 2014-05-11 11:22:13

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

OK, you guys have convinced me, next time I go somewhere with crepes, I will try them!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#39 2014-05-11 12:21:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

You english guys have way too many words for these things, its all Palatschinken to us.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#40 2014-05-11 14:37:36

ylvs
Mantis

*waits to hear about the Kaiserschmarrn, which Google indicates is a sort of chopped-up pancake*

It is. With raisins (poor poor tortured grapes) and powder sugar. The Austrian make more fuss about than it's worth.

*ducks*

#41 2014-05-11 14:54:24

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

You english guys have way too many words for these things, its all Palatschinken to us.

Actually, it's the French (and especially the Bretons) who drew the distinction between crêpes and galettes.  We simply learned from their culinary wisdom.  And both are very different from the classic American pancake / flapjack / etc.  Which is also tasty, but pretty far down my list of sweet-carby things.

My top favorite is probably waffles, done in a style that whips the egg whites into meringue (which results in a much crisper and fluffier end product) and folds in a large amount of nut butter for better nutritive value.

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#42 2014-05-11 15:11:05

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I could not eat Kaiserschmarrn for years, after eating it during my really miserable and homesick time in Vienna - the taste brought back all of those feelings, even after that time was long over.
But the day that I ate it and got it so mixed up with those unhappy feelings was also the same day I found Smarch (just an hour or so later, in fact), so it turned out to be a good day after all.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#43 2014-05-11 18:52:10

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

It is. With raisins (poor poor tortured grapes) and powder sugar. The Austrian make more fuss about than it's worth.

*ducks*

I want to hear more about it. What makes chopped-up pancakes so special? The raisins and the powdered sugar do sound like an excellent, excellent idea.

And, I want you all to know that for Mother's Day, I took my mother to IHOP, and we both had crepes. She had strawberry crepes, and I had delicious lingonberry crepes. As far as I know, this is the only place in a hundred mile radius where you can get lingonberry crepes.

Mmmmm!!!!

#44 2014-05-11 18:58:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

I could not eat Kaiserschmarrn for years, after eating it during my really miserable and homesick time in Vienna - the taste brought back all of those feelings, even after that time was long over.

I have the same issue with milk: associated bad feelings and repeated exposure to sour milk in Summer 1995 make plain white milk undrinkable for me, not always, but very often. I drink soy milk instead. Also, milk is very bad for me anyway. So I avoid it.

But the day that I ate it and got it so mixed up with those unhappy feelings was also the same day I found Smarch (just an hour or so later, in fact), so it turned out to be a good day after all.

It's great that you can see the silver lining. Maybe someday, you'll be able to eat kaiserschm. again, thanks to Smarch.

#45 2014-05-11 22:54:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I can actually eat it again now, mostly thanks to my grandmother making it a couple of time, so it got connected with different memories. (But I still have difficulties with jam, which I ate for breakfast a lot during that time.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#46 2014-05-12 01:33:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kaiserschmarrn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiserschmarrn

It is like a shredded pancake, but it's a little different as well. It can be made extra fluffy, or slightly caramelized.

#47 2014-05-12 01:34:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am doing my very best not to add to your Vienna trauma, Magpie. Please note that public transport going crazy because of a marathon event is outside of my control...

#48 2014-05-12 02:59:30

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

I should make Kaiserschmarrn one of these years. I haven't had it since I moved out of my parents' place. My mother made it a lot. It's really very fluffy and the raisins are necessary for me to make the meal complete, though I know that some people can't stand them.

On the topic of waffles. I love the waffles that Auros describes because - again - that's how my mother used to make them. Around here you generally get Belgian Waffles which is just not the same. For those who don't know it: Belgian Waffles are thicker and much more oily, and often they are coverd in chocolate coating which makes them kinda hard to eat.

I'm glad that we could convert so many people here to have Pancakes*. And I just remembered that there is an Austrian bakery in den Haag. Maybe they have Kaiserschmarrn? I should go there.

Still talking about pancakes and what my mother used to make, there are also Apfelkräpfle, which may be even more delicious than any of the afore mentioned variations. It goes like this: Take an apple, peal it, remove the core and then slice it into thick rings. Coat the rings with pancake batter and fry them until batter is done and the apple rings are slightly softened. Then serve hot with whatever you like (preferably cinnamon and sugar). Mmmmm.

Also, I'm really sorry, Ylvs, that we completely off-topicced your beautiful veranda by talking about non-vegan things exclusively for 2 pages.

Edited to add: *Crêpe, I mean

Last edited by xavie (2014-05-12 03:01:07)

#49 2014-05-12 03:07:46

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Hmm, I expect most of those recipes require eggs, so not sure they can be done in a vegan way? And I know those apple slices as well, powdered with a cinnamon/sugar mix.

#50 2014-05-12 04:52:39

ylvs
Mantis

Well, I am a tolerant person and am happy that you like my place.
As long as you don't bring meat to the barbeque all is well.

On a serious not: I still cannot believe how far I turned from meat. Not only that I don't want to eat it anymore I start being appaled by its smell. Weird, huh?

Board footer