Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-30 01:23:42

ylvs
Mantis

ylV's Vegan Veranda

Right beneath Chaven’s Tower, a short jog from Ad1tu’s Health Room and the Library you`ll find ylV’s Vegan Veranda after crossing a lush garden where all varieties of veggies and fruit grow. This was of course designed and planted by Mighty Magpie – who else could come up with such a garden?

The Veranda itself is built right to the wall of Chaven’s Tower - the weird thing being that there is no door leading in … The prominent features are a huge comfy sofa for reading chatting and looking into the sunset and a big table to have meals . Even more important there is a reasonably sized working space with a shiny new high end blender and the world’s best kitchen machine. A variety of very sharp knives, chopping boards and other kitchen tools complete the gear needed.
See the cupboard over there? I’ll tell you later what is all hidden in it – spices, dried fruit, matcha tea … all sorts of tasty wonders.

Come on in for a Green Smoothie and a chat.

#2 2014-03-30 02:16:39

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: ylV's Vegan Veranda

Normally, I would bring you some fresh vegetables as a welcome-to-the-Neighborhood present, but of course you have everything growing right here already...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#3 2014-03-30 02:30:25

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Maybe some fresh herbs as a housewarming present.

In pots so they can be replanted:-)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2014-03-30 08:37:29

cyan
Mantis

Welcome to The Neighborhood, ylVs! 

*brings in a case of wine*  *and a rice cooker*

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#5 2014-03-30 08:46:17

ylvs
Mantis

Thankee for the present my dears. Especially the rice cooker will come in handy.

Would you like a green smoothie?

Concoction of the day consists of:

1 orange
2 apples,
a handful frozen raspberries,
a handful frozen strawberries,
half a banana,
2 cups field salad
a handful young dandelion and goutweed leaves
4 leaves of peppermint
5 leaves of sweet woodruff.

Enjoy!

#6 2014-03-30 08:58:29

cyan
Mantis

Does it come with coffee?

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer

#7 2014-03-30 09:18:15

ylvs
Mantis

Not as an ingriedient but you sure may have a coffee as well.

*prepares coffee*

There you go oh Blue One.

#8 2014-03-30 09:20:00

ylvs
Mantis

*busies herself preparing dinner*

Tonight we'll have a pumpkin/sweet potatoe mush with a cabbage sort I'm too lazy to look up (Wirsing) and a roasted smoked tofu topping.

#9 2014-03-30 12:26:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Hey! A new neighborhood place! Sweet!

*brings unopened pancake maker as a housewarming present*

Cool digs! I'd love a smoothie!

*makes friends with the Uberkitchenmachine, which looks a little like Tom Servo*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#10 2014-03-30 13:39:26

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*ads a waffle iron to the pile of gifts*

Welcome to the neighborhood!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#11 2014-04-28 19:26:22

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

So since this is the Vegan Veranda, how about a newly discovered recipe? Yes, for my "I love meat and cheese!" I made a vegan recipe :P

Chickpea Salad

1 can chickpeas
1/2 c celery, chopped
1/2 c carrots, chopped
1/4 - 1/3 c scallions, chopped
1/4+ c hummus
lemon juice (to taste)
mustard (to taste)
garlic powder (to taste)
paprika (to taste)
whatever else!

Mash chickpeas. Mix in other stuff. Enjoy!

I've only made bagel sandwiches out of it so far, but I bet it's good on crackers. And probably other stuff.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#12 2014-04-28 19:29:45

cyan
Mantis

Hi Ylvs!

Scrollbearer

#13 2014-05-07 02:30:35

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Hey! A new neighborhood place! Sweet!
*brings unopened pancake maker as a housewarming present*

What's a pancake maker?

*carrys in a poffertje pan* I think it might be hard to make vegan Poffertjes. So let me instead gift you this awasome vegetable chopper, which is so much fun that I use it every day at least once!

#14 2014-05-07 07:23:04

ylvs
Mantis

That actually is a good question ...

#15 2014-05-07 08:59:58

redNathalie
Pilgrim

A pancake maker, of course, is a diminutive chef (with a tall hat) who stands quietly in the corner, spatula at the ready, waiting for someone to want pancakes. When a person with such a request appears, he leaps into action, becoming a whirlwind of frenzied kitchen activity. An astonishingly short time later, he presents a perfectly arranged platter stacked high with the most delicious pancakes imaginable, complete with various fruits, syrups and whipped cremes (even the occasional scoop of vanilla ice cream!), depending on the particular tastes of the hungry guest.

Such a nice housewarming gift! *envy*

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#16 2014-05-07 09:34:42

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Vegan butterscotch chip cookies

7 Tbsp vegan butter + 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cane sugar
1 flax egg: 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butterscotch chips!

I make the “flax egg” first and stick it in the fridge while I get everything else together; this makes its consistency a little more egg-like. I usually use Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips with this recipe, but yesterday I had homemade butterscotch-caramel chunks (!) gifted to me by my excellent culinary chef friend, so I gleefully pounded those into tasty flinders with a hammer and used those. ^_^

1.    Preheat oven to 350F
2.    Mix flax egg in a small bowl and set in fridge to chill
3.    Beat butter/oil until fluffy
4.    Add sugars and beat for 1-2 minutes
5.    Beat in the flax egg and vanilla til well-mixed
6.    Stir in the remaining dry ingredients
7.    Fold in the chips

Shape the batter into small balls of dough, place on your cookie sheet of choice, and bake for 10-12 minutes. If you’re using butterscotch flinders, marvel at the way some of your cookies have transformed into leaky zombie cookies of deliciousness. Otherwise, just wait a few minutes before taste-testing (if you can!) so you don’t burn your tongue. ^_^

This is a smallish recipe; I usually end up with just under 2 dozen cookies – which of course is not enough because by the time you are done sampling the batter, and taste-testing a few representative cookies, you really don’t have enough left over to share and are tempted to just eat the rest all on your own. Oh wait! On second thought, maybe the size of this recipe is just right.

Hope you enjoy! *passes out free samples*

#17 2014-05-07 13:27:18

ylvs
Mantis

Hmmmmmm, they're delicious!!!

Thankee!!

#18 2014-05-08 00:50:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

redNathalie wrote:

A pancake maker, of course, is a diminutive chef (with a tall hat) who stands quietly in the corner, spatula at the ready, waiting for someone to want pancakes. When a person with such a request appears, he leaps into action, becoming a whirlwind of frenzied kitchen activity. An astonishingly short time later, he presents a perfectly arranged platter stacked high with the most delicious pancakes imaginable, complete with various fruits, syrups and whipped cremes (even the occasional scoop of vanilla ice cream!), depending on the particular tastes of the hungry guest.

*applauds the excellent explanation from Red*

If you can't afford one of those diminutive chefs, of course, you can always get one of these. Don't tell me they don't have them in Germany, land of uber-efficiency???

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#19 2014-05-08 07:19:23

ylvs
Mantis

We might have them but I've never seen one. And I don't see the advantage to a simple pan to be honest ...

#20 2014-05-08 08:38:36

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Because those make perfect pancakes, As Seen on TV(TM). They taste like television!

#21 2014-05-08 09:35:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Bwahahahahahaha!

#22 2014-05-08 09:38:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

It keeps the pancakes round. So people like me, who are sloppy and drip batter everywhere don't end up with messy, lopsided pancakes and batter dripped everywhere, while living in a black-and-white, stressed out world. Or so the TV would have us believe.

#23 2014-05-09 02:12:12

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

We mostly make crepes here, instead of pancakes and crepes use the whole floor of a mid sized pan anyway. There are special crepe pans, but the main advantage is that they have only a tiny rim, so it's easier to flip the pancakes (using a tool, unless you are brave).

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#24 2014-05-09 06:54:41

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

redNathalie wrote:

That is so usefull! My former room mate had one of those. Unfortunately he was only available in the weekends and then they broke up and there were no pancake breakfasts anymore. :(

That thing that firsfron linked to, seems indeed useful but much less handsome. Talking about weird kitchen utensils, I have seen funny shapes to keep your sunny-side-up egg in shape, so I don't doubt the existence of those mechanical pancake makers. But to me this seems less about efficiency and more about quirkiness. Which is fine, of course, but not a particularly German thing.

#25 2014-05-09 07:29:12

ylvs
Mantis

Here is the receipe for my favorite food smoothie. I take it to work or have it for breakfast when in a hurry and it keeps me sated for hours:

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup popped amaranth
1 1/2 cup oat milk
2 pinches ground vanilla
4 teaspoons agave syrup
2 tablespoons walnuts
2 tablespoons hazelnuts
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 small banana
1 1/2 teaspoons organic cocoa
4 ice cubes

Mix all for one minute in a strong blender.

If you want an extra wake up kick add 1 teaspoon matcha.

Heathly, tasty and easy as "carry-on".  Highly recommended!

Board footer