Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-03-03 11:20:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Who are you?

Tad wrote:

I am a writer.  I have always liked to make things and tell stories and make people laugh or look at me worriedly.

And we sure are grateful you made the decision to take a hiatus from shoe salesman, etc., Tad! WAY grateful!

I will keep making stories because it's what I do.  If I stopped having ideas now, I could still be writing for twenty years, but the ideas don't stop.  It's kind of a curse, because I'll never have the time.

It may feel like a curse to you, but it feels like a blessing to me, Tad.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#52 2014-03-03 11:21:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Aan`allein wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Funny, 11 seems to be a popular age to start reading Tadbooks - Aan, Ad1tu, me... anyone else?

11 was for Asimov; I was 14 (maybe 13?) by the time I got to Tad. :)

Whoops. Clearly I am too tired to be allowed online.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#53 2014-03-03 11:22:35

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Genisis X wrote:

Also: Should the question mark be inside or outside the quotation? I forgot how to English.

In this case, the quotes should be inside the question mark. But we all forget how to English now and then.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#54 2014-03-03 11:32:44

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

*waves* Hi, I'm Ad1tu! I've been in Tadlands since... hang on, my sophomore year of high school... 2003? Ish. I'll have to check my date when I post this, haha.

Turns out it was 2004-02-22. If you had registered in late 2003, you would have had to re-register. Many of the 2003 posts were lost in the Great Conflagration of '03, when a huge wildfire enveloped much of Smarch in what the bucket-carriers called a "server meltdown", whatever that means. Pineapples were scorched. Pixies and goblins fled to the forest's edge as their homes, sadly, burned to the ground. And registration was closed until early 2004. But we did recover, slowly, as the scars from the Great Conflagration gradually healed.

#55 2014-03-03 11:42:20

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I'm Auros.  I'm one of the minority of people using RL-name as board-name. :-)

I was into sf/f essentially from birth -- my parents' bookshelves were full of Asimov, Clarke, Tolkien, etc, and there was a general reverence for books.  (One of the more memorable / tragic events of my childhood was when the study/library door got left ajar overnight, and the pair of six-month-old puppies got hold of a leatherbound omnibus of several Dumas stories that my mother had inherited -- the thing was probably a hundred years old.  They were lucky they were cute.)

I was one of the founding editors of Strange Horizons, which started when I was living in Berkeley.  (Moved there for grad school, dropped out after a semester.)  I was running the Reviews section of the magazine, and I was an advocate for having us look not just at literature, but all forms of media, especially efforts at online storytelling and videogames.  (I still have a passion for really innovative interactive stories -- I'm a bit of a Portal obsessive, and my spouse and I walked down the aisle and back up to the prologue and epilogue music of Shadow of the Colossus.)  Anyways, I forget how I first heard about S'march, but I originally farmed out reviewing it to somebody who shall remain nameless, because he hated it.  He turned in a rather merciless pan.  At the time, my usual policy was: We don't publish pans, because there's plenty of good stuff around, and we can just ignore / neglect bad stuff.  A review should not say, "This sucks," it should say, "This is who this thing is for."  Anyways, I ended up going and reading the first several chapters of S'march myself, and I found it quite engaging.  I'd always kinda meant to pick up some Tad Williams, because I'd seen his books -- MS&T and Otherland -- in my high school library, but had never gotten around to them.  Anyways, the review that was published was kind of a hybrid of the original critical review and my own thoughts, but the original reviewer refused to keep his name on the blended form, but I did not at that point have time to either swap in a different fully-edited review for the week or re-write it into a purer form of my own opinion, which was more positive.

Anyways, I subscribed to S'march and stuck around through the end, and since I live in the Bay Area, I ended up meeting Tad at ConJose, and generally seeing him around at cons and regional Smarchmoots.  I've met several Big Name Authors who are nice, non-arrogant people, or good story-tellers.  But Tad is the most fun to hang out with -- the most personable and unpretentious.

Well, OK, there are two authors I can think of who I had more fun with, but (a) neither is an international Big Name, and (b) I was dating them at the time.  (Much as I love you, Tad, you're just not my type. *g*)

Is Otherland Tad's most polarizing work?  I did read the whole thing, and I loved parts of it, loved the characters, enjoyed the ending... but I kind of wished it was about half as long as it was.

I loved WotF.  And the Bobby Dollar books have been amazing page-turners.  (I'm a bit of a fan of the "anti-apocalyptic fiction" genre, in general.  Also, have always had a bit of a thing for the kind of combat/romance scene that turns up in the first BD, ever since I had a huge crush on a girl I sparred with regularly at my martial arts classes, when I was like 13.)  I'm still hoping that there will be several pages of San Judas maps in the upcoming volume of BD.  (I live at the north end of San Judas.  I posted some photos, a while back, of the Oracle Conference Center, which seems like it must be at least one of the models, if not THE model, for the conference center that shows up in the latter parts of Dirty Streets.)  I also recently started MS&T, reading British copies that Tad gifted to me at the last big Moot. :-)

I guess, since a few people mentioned pets -- I am owned by an agendered human named Plymouth, and two adorable cats named Hoshi and Keiun.  (Also, don't let the monkey phenotype fool you, I have a feline soul.  To the extent that I do nice things for birds and bunnies and such, it's only to attract them to our yard so that the cats can enjoy watching them.  And I kind of hate squirrels; if I could safely let the cats out to patrol the yard, without putting them at risk of getting run over in the street or injured by a raccoon, I would be thrilled to have them cull the local squirrel population.)

Last edited by Auros (2014-03-07 13:04:02)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#56 2014-03-03 12:23:44

ylvs
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Funny, 11 seems to be a popular age to start reading Tadbooks - Aan, Ad1tu, me... anyone else?

21 iirc.

#57 2014-03-03 12:31:00

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Ad1tu wrote:

*waves* Hi, I'm Ad1tu! I've been in Tadlands since... hang on, my sophomore year of high school... 2003? Ish. I'll have to check my date when I post this, haha.

Turns out it was 2004-02-22. If you had registered in late 2003, you would have had to re-register. Many of the 2003 posts were lost in the Great Conflagration of '03, when a huge wildfire enveloped much of Smarch in what the bucket-carriers called a "server meltdown", whatever that means. Pineapples were scorched. Pixies and goblins fled to the forest's edge as their homes, sadly, burned to the ground. And registration was closed until early 2004. But we did recover, slowly, as the scars from the Great Conflagration gradually healed.

Hmm.. if only I could actually remember WHEN that stupid paper was assigned during the year, that could help. But alas, that is one of the many memories that have been re-located to the "OH GOD HS WAS AWFUL" directory of my brain.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#58 2014-03-03 12:32:08

ylvs
Mantis

The Great Conflagration, yes those were dark days of anxiety about what would be lost  ... was less that we feared ...

Auros you do read MST now? Curious what you think.
What a book wonderland to grow up in ... and boooohhh to those puppies. they're prolly dead by now. Well deserved.

#59 2014-03-03 13:42:12

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

I've read like the first 10 pages.  Ask me in a year or so. :-)

#60 2014-03-03 16:05:28

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Hmm. I'm almost a couple of years older than Tad so I had to be in the middle 30s when I read Tailchaser's Song.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#61 2014-03-03 16:06:27

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Ooh, you're coming up to a good part!

#62 2014-03-03 22:35:33

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Auros wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Ooh, you're coming up to a good part!

Is that because it's all a good part?

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#63 2014-03-04 06:12:23

ylvs
Mantis

Exactly.

#64 2014-03-04 06:14:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I think I saved the vast majority of stuff that ended up burning. That was never my plan, but I'm happy it turned out that way (well, the saving, not the conflagration *whistles*).

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#65 2014-03-04 09:20:09

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Seitherin wrote:

Hmm. I'm almost a couple of years older than Tad so I had to be in the middle 30s when I read Tailchaser's Song.

Meaning one year, or what? :)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#66 2014-03-06 17:45:38

Blue&Green
Pilgrim

Hi! I'm new here. I read my first Tadbook around 2 years ago (MS&T, loved it) and I figured that books this good must have a dedicated spot online to worship them and the author, and so I joined up. (The name comes from the background here, which, until someone told me the default is green and grey, I thought was blue and green that burned my eyes; turns out I'm really colorblind.) This is a pretty weak post compared to the others here, I realize, but perhaps I'll think of more later.

#67 2014-03-06 17:53:43

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Hi Blue & Green! Nice to meet you. :)

#68 2014-03-07 12:52:20

rimses
Pilgrim

I am Rimses (Rimmersguard/Rimmers).  I read City of Golden Shadow in 1998/99 and read the Otherland books as they were published in the german translation. I also picked up M,S&T, which I still consider to be the one of the best "post-Tolkien" fantasy creations of all time. This was the time when I was a student and had plenty of time to "waste" on reading fantasy (also avidly reading Michael Moorcock and Tolkien of course). I learned about the Shadowmarch online-novel project by chance and joined right in in 2001. Those were the days! I experienced Tad live two times (in 2000 and 2005) and attended two Smarchmoots (2003 with Peter and Damon, 2005 with Peter and Tad, both in Vienna). Unfortunately, as the Shadowmarch history progressed, I somehow lost track of the story, lurked, and finally drifted away into obscurity. Sadly,  I still haven´t finished the Shadowmarch books, and probably never will, since the thrill for fantasy literature, for me, has gone somehow. It just doesn´t flow like it has 12,15 years ago. Maybe this will change again, who knows. However, I still like to read a lot (but at a much, much slower pace than in my youth). Anyways, I still consider Smarch as one of the most creative, interesting and completely silly communities on the WWW. Recently I picked up The Dirty Streets of Heaven , and the first impression is good!  Also, I am a retired mantis who enjoys retirement. In RL, I am still a confused and confusing individual, just like 15 years ago.

If the subjective character of experience is fully comprehensible only from one point of view, then any shift to greater objectivity-that is, less attachement to a specific viewpoint-does not take us nearer to the real nature of the phenomenon: it takes us farther away from it

-Thomas Nagel, What is it like to be a bat?

#69 2014-03-08 12:42:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

I'm Auros.  I'm one of the minority of people using RL-name as board-name. :-)

Well, Cyan, Ylvs, and humble self all use takes on our real names. And you and Marian, Peter, PeterJW, Jeremy, and Tad use your real names. So that's 8 out of 29 active Smarchers. So I don't think it's really a huge minority. :)

I forget how I first heard about S'march, but I originally farmed out reviewing it to somebody who shall remain nameless, because he hated it.  He turned in a rather merciless pan.  At the time, my usual policy was: We don't publish pans, because there's plenty of good stuff around, and we can just ignore / neglect bad stuff.  A review should not say, "This sucks," it should say, "This is who this thing is for."  Anyways, I ended up going and reading the first several chapters of S'march myself, and I found it quite engaging.  I'd always kinda meant to pick up some Tad Williams, because I'd seen his books -- MS&T and Otherland -- in my high school library, but had never gotten around to them.  Anyways, the review that was published was kind of a hybrid of the original critical review and my own thoughts, but the original reviewer refused to keep his name on the blended form, but I did not at that point have time to either swap in a different fully-edited review for the week or re-write it into a purer form of my own opinion, which was more positive.

Quite interesting! So you started out as a reviewer and then became a fan. Huh.

Is Otherland Tad's most polarizing work?  I did read the whole thing, and I loved parts of it, loved the characters, enjoyed the ending... but I kind of wished it was about half as long as it was.

I think it's quite polarizing, and I'm torn about some of it, but I recognize it as an amazing piece of work. The length is one problem, but I think there are many other issues as well.

I also recently started MS&T, reading British copies that Tad gifted to me at the last big Moot. :-)

Tad's best series, by far.

#70 2014-03-08 12:46:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Blue&Green wrote:

Hi! I'm new here. I read my first Tadbook around 2 years ago (MS&T, loved it)

Reading MS&T is a bit of a curse: it's so good, it ruins you for most other fantasy.

and I figured that books this good must have a dedicated spot online to worship them and the author, and so I joined up. (The name comes from the background here, which, until someone told me the default is green and grey, I thought was blue and green that burned my eyes; turns out I'm really colorblind.) This is a pretty weak post compared to the others here, I realize, but perhaps I'll think of more later.

I think the background is blue and green.

#71 2014-03-08 12:53:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

rimses wrote:

I am Rimses (Rimmersguard/Rimmers).  I read City of Golden Shadow in 1998/99 and read the Otherland books as they were published in the german translation. I also picked up M,S&T, which I still consider to be the one of the best "post-Tolkien" fantasy creations of all time.

Indeed. Totally agree.

Sadly,  I still haven´t finished the Shadowmarch books, and probably never will, since the thrill for fantasy literature, for me, has gone somehow. It just doesn´t flow like it has 12,15 years ago. Maybe this will change again, who knows.

I think it will, Rimses. I, too, have gone through periods of drought where Fantasy literature just feels dry.

#72 2014-03-08 12:59:20

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I think I saved the vast majority of stuff that ended up burning. That was never my plan, but I'm happy it turned out that way (well, the saving, not the conflagration *whistles*).

Speaking of which, Peter... I think your site needs some updating. For example, the list of Smarchers, when Smarcher names are clicked, still directs people to Shadowmarch.com. That could be fixed. The main-page link to the archive still says "coming soon!", even though it's been active since 2003. Etc.

#73 2014-03-08 13:25:10

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

For all you guys know, I might be using my RL name as well. Xavie is a very popular name around here. *nods ernestly* - Okay, I forgot that some of you have actually met me. But maybe the name I used then (even though it sounds like a proper RL name) is actually my super-secret online personality?

Also, I'm quite sure that Tad is not using his real name here.

Also, I think I was probably 14 when lian made me read MS&T.

#74 2014-03-08 13:42:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

xavie wrote:

Also, I'm quite sure that Tad is not using his real name here.

But it's his real professional name, and the name he uses in daily life. The name his parents, wife, and step-godcousins call him. The name he signs when he accepts a package. The name he uses when he greets someone in real life. To me, that's more of a real name than anything on a birth certificate.

#75 2014-03-08 13:47:00

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

What Firsfron said.  Auros is my real name -- the name that was used at my wedding, that people call me on a daily basis, etc -- but not my legal name.  And actually, I greatly value the fact that if I get a spam call, I can instantly tell what it is, because they'll most likely use a variant of my legal name that even my parents never used (because I grew up being called by my middle name, not my first name).  If somebody uses my first name, they know nothing about me at all.  If they use my middle name, either they have a commercial relationship with me on a regular basis so I've registered my legal name with them in a manner that got the middle-name thing through, or they have a tangential relationship with my family and have heard my parents refer to me, but don't know my real name.  It's a nice sorting mechanism.

Board footer