Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-02 11:03:54

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Who are you?

Olaf wrote:

I´m Olaf. I have been reading Tad since 1991/92 when I stumbled across "The Dragonbone Chair" in  my local library. For about 50 pages I felt slightly bored and almost put the book away for good, but then it clicked and I fell in love with it and have been ever since.

Thank goodness you kept reading!

As soon as I was finished with it, I pestered my favourite local bookseller about the sequels and wrote letters to Tad`s German publisher at the time (I still have those letters!).

It was the same for me, except I pestered my local librarians, who knew nothing. About nine months before the release of Stone of Farewell, they finally had good news to report, and I could stop bugging them... for a while!

I started using the internet in 1994/1995 when I went to university and did my first searches about Tad to find out if he was writing more Osten Ard. I had read somewhere that he would be doing books about virtual reality next with the working title of "North on the Data Stream". Of course, I only wanted him to write more Osten Ard :-)

Same here.

But when I read that Tad was doing EPIC FANTASY again, I was over the top with excitement and joined the old Shadowmarch site about a month after it launched in 2001. I have been a (semi)regular ever since. About that time I also started collecting Tad`s books more seriously and now have a big collection with editions in several languages.

Don't let him fool you, gang. His Tad-collection isn't big. It's huge.

I am a big movie fan, too and have many DVDs and Blu-rays. The Lord of the Rings movies are among my favourite movies and Game of Thrones, Dexter, Rome, Warehouse 12, Eureka, House, MD, True Blood, Big Bang Theory, How I met your mother are among my favourite tv shows.  I am also fond of Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica:-)

Excellent taste in TV shows.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2014-03-02 11:11:33

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

I'm Magpie, I discovered Tad's books in about 1998 when my mother got me The Dragonbone Chair from the library (I think she might have been choosing books for me just based on size),

Bwahaha! Lucky coincidence!

and found Smarch through Tad's note of thanks in the Shadowmarch book, early in 2006, and joined a few weeks later (I'm sure I've told the full story many times, because it was literally a moment that ended up changing my life, so I'm not going to tell it again - it's on my blog if you want to read it, starting after the second picture.)

Awww... nice story!

I work in a tiny plant nursery in a little Austrian village, with a family of extremely nice and funny people, so you'll often find me telling stories about our apprentice in the Mint - he knows that I do that, by the way, and I tell him funny Smarch stories in return. And I got him into reading MST.

And where is he at now? </pester>

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#28 2014-03-02 11:17:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

And where is he at now? </pester>

The last time I looked over his shoulder at lunch, he was at the beginning of chapter 8 of SoF.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#29 2014-03-02 11:20:31

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Thank goodness you kept reading!

Yes, I have always wondered about that piece of good luck or maybe it was fate:-)

It was the same for me, except I pestered my local librarians, who knew nothing. About nine months before the release of Stone of Farewell, they finally had good news to report, and I could stop bugging them... for a while!

Since I wrote directly to the publishers I always had vague pub dates, but still the wait seemed endless. They were the first books I bought in hardcover the minute they hit the shelves.

Don't let him fool you, gang. His Tad-collection isn't big. It's huge.

Hm, yours isn´t small either:-)

Excellent taste in TV shows.

Thank you!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#30 2014-03-02 11:20:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Aan`allein wrote:

I am Aan. I've read science fiction and fantasy voraciously since I first picked up my father's copy of I, Robot at the age of 11 (12?) - I'd read LotR, and young adult SF before that, but they didn't specifically make me look for more; I, Robot did. So I went to the library, started at the A (because hey, Asimov), and over the next few years read everything they had with that same symbol on the spine. This meant I was 14 by the time I got to Tad, at which point I liked the books okay, but was not overly impressed.

So did you make it down to Zelazny?

When the old shadowmarch.com was being transitioned to tadwilliams.com in late 2007, I badgered StrangeShe about making certain we could carry over the full forum history, and ended up stepping up to do the necessary work, since the agency hired for setting up the site didn't have the relevant know-how.

That had to have been a huge amount of work, jamming an old forum into a new forum, reclassifying all the old threads... whew! I guess we don't say thanks enough. So, thanks Aan.

#31 2014-03-02 11:26:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

xavie wrote:

Also, I have the habit of joining re-reads and then dropping out during the first chapter.

That's more the rule than the exception, though, so no worries! The MS&T re-read generally only had five or six regulars at any point, and only four that made it more or less all the way through.

#32 2014-03-02 11:30:52

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Seitherin here. I started reading Tad's books with Tailchaser's Song back in the dark ages before I had internet. A friend of mine loved it and recommended it to me and thus started a love affair that has lasted decades and spanned volumes.

I finally got online in 1996 and it was either at the end of that year or the start of the next that I discovered the listserv. I was part of the wicked tribe at tw_treehouse. I was a Smarcher at shadowmarch.com. I am a Smarcher here. And I am a friend on Facebook (the only place I am not Seitherin).

I have never managed to make it to a moot or a book signing. I have never met a fellow Smarcher or the Tadly one in RL. I had actually made plans to attend the New Orleans moot and had talked my BFF into going with me (even though she had no idea who Tad was.) But work interfered and I was unable to go.

I used to be a computer nerd - Windows network admin and all around MS-SQL guru. Then five years ago the economy tanked and I became unemployed. While enjoying my new found freedom from the 9 to 5 grind (which ran from 6:30 am to about 7:00 pm in my case), a medical condition that I still suffer from went into overdrive and I wound up bed ridden for about 6-7 months until my doctor found an effective treatment for me that was funded by a charitable foundation. The drug was so effective, I took advantage of scholarships and the help of family and friends to go back to university to get my BBA, a degree I'd abandoned in 1979 when life stuff got in the way. With degree in hand and people once again knocking at my door to obtain my computer nerdly services, the once very effective drug stopped working. Literally. One week I was fine. The next week I couldn't move. Long story short, I am sufficiently impaired by my condition that I am now on disability. The thing I hate the most about this state of affairs is that I can no longer drive. I used to love to drive - south to visit family and friends, north to visit family, west to visit friends. I hate being stuck at home, dependent on the Prodigal Son to run errands and take me places. I can honestly say I wouldn't wish this condition on my worst enemy.

Anyhoo, enough with the downer. Lunch is ready and I'm about to dig in. Later, gators.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#33 2014-03-02 11:35:06

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Yes. At which point the librarian was fairly incredulous that I hadn't read him yet, given how much in the genre I was always borrowing. :) (That I was reading in alphabetical order wasn't easily visible by this point, since there was always lots which was lent out, so every visit I always started with going back over the stacks to see what all was newly returned before starting in on a new section of the alphabet.)

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#34 2014-03-02 12:58:29

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Hello, nice to meet you! I'm Kenan aka Johan, resident Swede.

I started reading MST in Swedish around 95 I believe, but after 2/3 of DBC (I found out that each original book was being cut into 3 parts) I switched to English. Since then I read mostly in English, and especially these long fantasy series! I don't know when I started reading Otherland, I think not before the last novel was published. I got my first PC in 99 at uni and was all over the internet. I don't remember if I signed up on the original Shadowmarch boards, but I WAS skulking around since chapter 1. I didn't READ Shadowmarch until the last one was published though, again. I found SM a bit.... off.... Not on par with MST. I signed up here 2005, but was skulking for the better part of 7 years before giving in and becoming active about a year ago. Lovely people here, should have joined in more from the start.

Besides reading I'm passionate about photography. I shoot nature/landscape, am active a lot on flickr.com and sell some images via Getty Images. I live in Gothenburg since 2 years back, and we have a lovely archipelago here that I enjoy visiting, winter spring summer or autumn, it's always beautiful.

I mix my fantasy novels with bits of classic literature, modern classics, and today's best sellers. I mostly leave out crime and horror novels though. I love to own my books printed, and have a small library of books I have not read yet. Since I feel that their bookshelf says a lot about a person, I'll share some of my most recent reads.

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence
Nemesis by Philip Roth
Frost by Thomas Bernhard
Faust by Goethe

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#35 2014-03-02 13:11:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Seitherin wrote:

I have never managed to make it to a moot or a book signing. I have never met a fellow Smarcher or the Tadly one in RL. I had actually made plans to attend the New Orleans moot and had talked my BFF into going with me (even though she had no idea who Tad was.) But work interfered and I was unable to go.

Smarchers, some day we need to drop by Houston and visit Seitherin, and have a Houston Smarchmoot.

#36 2014-03-02 13:18:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

I didn't READ Shadowmarch until the last one was published though, again. I found SM a bit.... off.... Not on par with MST.

I feel the same. MS&T is amazing. Shadowmarch... has weird plot holes and inconsistencies. And, for me, it's missing the magic, the realism, and the depth that made MS&T so special.

I live in Gothenburg since 2 years back, and we have a lovely archipelago here that I enjoy visiting, winter spring summer or autumn, it's always beautiful.

I loved Goteborg when I was there. Beautiful area, friendly people. Everyone speaks English, so it's super-easy for a tourist to get around. Downtown has those beautiful canals. And Liseberg is right there, too. Actually, all of Sweden is great, though admittedly, I only saw Malmo, Goteborg, and Stockholm.

#37 2014-03-02 13:54:34

Tad
Hierarch
Website

I am a writer.  I have always liked to make things and tell stories and make people laugh or look at me worriedly.  I am married to a wonderful woman, Deborah Beale.  We lived in London at first, which I loved, then moved back to my home area, the San Francisco Bay Area.  We live in a beach town now, but up in the hills above it.  We have two teenage children, crazy and lovely, and four dogs, a cat, and a lizard.  I am also friends with the bunnies and quail and other creatures on our property, but thank God I don't have to clean up after them, too.

I will keep making stories because it's what I do.  If I stopped having ideas now, I could still be writing for twenty years, but the ideas don't stop.  It's kind of a curse, because I'll never have the time.

And I love having readers.  I feel very privileged.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#38 2014-03-02 18:20:16

cyan
Mantis

Olaf wrote:

Warehouse 12

I'm pretty sure there was no broadcast television during the time of Warehouse 12. ;-)

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#39 2014-03-03 00:04:38

Olaf
Mantis
Website

You´re forgeting H.G. Wells:-)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#40 2014-03-03 00:29:36

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Aan`allein wrote:

Yes. At which point the librarian was fairly incredulous that I hadn't read him yet, given how much in the genre I was always borrowing. :) (That I was reading in alphabetical order wasn't easily visible by this point, since there was always lots which was lent out, so every visit I always started with going back over the stacks to see what all was newly returned before starting in on a new section of the alphabet.)

Tad must really be missing out on the 'alphabetically prioritised' market. He should really considering changing his name to Aaron A. Aaronson. or something sensible like that.

Seriously, how many writers are after 'Williams?'

Also: Should the question mark be inside or outside the quotation? I forgot how to English.

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#41 2014-03-03 03:18:20

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Oh noes! Big Tad is listening! I should have never said that about not reading your books! *feels very guilty now* I still really love the ones I read (MST and Otherland) and often return to them. Promise!

#42 2014-03-03 04:00:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

xavie wrote:

Oh noes! Big Tad is listening! I should have never said that about not reading your books! *feels very guilty now* I still really love the ones I read (MST and Otherland) and often return to them. Promise!

Don't worry, he's going to smite Genesis X first, so you should have ample warning :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#43 2014-03-03 04:12:39

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

xavie wrote:

Don't worry, he's going to smite Genesis X first, so you should have ample warning :D

It's been nice knowing you all.

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#44 2014-03-03 07:14:28

ylvs
Mantis

Kenan, you have been lurking all those years? That well explains why you were so at ease right from the beginning.

Glad to have you truely in!

#45 2014-03-03 08:47:06

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*waves* Hi, I'm Ad1tu! I've been in Tadlands since... hang on, my sophomore year of high school... 2003? Ish. I'll have to check my date when I post this, haha.

I originally started reading Tadbooks when I was hmm.. in 6th grade, I think, so around age 11. I started off with Tailchaser's Song. My dad had started introducing me to sci-fi books a few years prior. I read some easy Asimov, Niven, Pohl, but wasn't really enthused. So he recommended Piers Anthony's Xanth books, which were better. I think since I relatively like those and also had powered through Brian Jacques around the same time, he recommended Tailchaser's Song. Tried reading DBC, failed, tried again a month later, made it to some exciting part and finally kept reading! So I chowed down through those, then immediately picked up Otherland. I ended up having ridiculously good timing and only had to wait a couple months in between when I finished "Mountain of Black Glass" and "Sea of Silver Light".

Thennnn a year or two later, we were assigned an "American author biography" paper in English class. Of COURSE I wanted to do my biography on Tad Williams, but I couldn't find him at ALL in my school library. I had just started being exposed to the internet, so I tried my hand at Googling, and wound up on smarch. I think I registered solely so I could send Tad a PM... (after all that work, I ended up doing my paper on Asimov! Sorry!)

Since the beginning, I have: graduated high school, graduated college with a BA in physics, moved states, got married, bought a house, and not grown a single inch...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#46 2014-03-03 10:03:01

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Funny, 11 seems to be a popular age to start reading Tadbooks - Aan, Ad1tu, me... anyone else?

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#47 2014-03-03 10:03:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Not me. I was 14.

#48 2014-03-03 11:11:44

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Later for me, about 18... at 11 I was reading Stephen King and Tolkien, not much else.

#49 2014-03-03 11:12:10

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

That was a lie, I also read Spider-Man and X-Men!!!!

#50 2014-03-03 11:13:57

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Magpie wrote:

Funny, 11 seems to be a popular age to start reading Tadbooks - Aan, Ad1tu, me... anyone else?

11 was for Asimov; I was 14 (maybe 13?) by the time I got to Tad. :)

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

Board footer