Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-01 10:44:20

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Who are you?

This is my return after a long time away, and I'm trying to catch up with what I've missed and see who still hangs around here?

So, who are you? How long have you been in the Tadlands? What have you been up to lately?

I'll go first!

I'm Marian, and I first found Tad communities after picking up Otherland:River of Blue Fire (I didn't read that one first, but I did read the first few pages at the library) and seeing the introduction and Tad's mention of the "friendly folks on the Listserv." I thought, oh, I want to meet friendly folks! So I don't think I'd even gotten very far into the first Otherland book before I went looking for the community. It took me a while to figure out how to join the Lyst, so I was on the Halcyon message boards first, where I met a lot of you who are still here! Don't remember which year, 1996 or 98? Then the Lyst, then Smarch, then here and still following Tad around on Facebook.

I have been to a couple of moots, most recently World Fantasy in Calgary, then San Jose, 6 and 5 years ago. Time flies... so not recently.

Tad and friends helped me through some immensely difficult times, and I consider everyone a lifelong friend, even those I haven't been in touch with in a while.

Now I'm a fitness professional, teaching a variety of fitness classes and doing personal training in a corporate environment. My hobbies include knitting, reading and creative writing.

I'm back with excitement in large part because of the WFC coming up in DC. There's nothing like a ConMoot to get me just hopping with enthusiasm. I get to see my friends!!!! And be silly and eat and drink and talk about books!!! For 4 DAYS IN A ROW!!!

Life really doesn't get better.

#2 2014-03-01 13:14:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Who are you?

Marian wrote:

This is my return after a long time away, and I'm trying to catch up with what I've missed and see who still hangs around here?

Tad, Rimses, Kenan, Rook, Peter, PeterJW, Olaf, Aan, Genisis, Pandy, Jeremy, Kalu, Sahi, Seitherin, Cyan, Lian, Em, Dementia, Xavie, Ylvs, Magpie, Libra, Hiragana, Strangeshe, Ad1tu, Maladroit, and humble self have posted recently. Maybe a few others. I may have forgotten a few people.

What you missed: a ton of silliness. Color themes became available, so you can change your background colors. And in early 2013, 10 of us were Mantisified! Yay!

Also: We can do colors now!

I'm Marian, and I first found Tad communities after picking up Otherland:River of Blue Fire (I didn't read that one first, but I did read the first few pages at the library) and seeing the introduction and Tad's mention of the "friendly folks on the Listserv." I thought, oh, I want to meet friendly folks! So I don't think I'd even gotten very far into the first Otherland book before I went looking for the community. It took me a while to figure out how to join the Lyst, so I was on the Halcyon message boards first, where I met a lot of you who are still here! Don't remember which year, 1996 or 98?

Had to have been 1998, since RoBF was published in July 1998. Marian, do you remember Guthwulf's board? Did you post there as well?

I'm back with excitement in large part because of the WFC coming up in DC. There's nothing like a ConMoot to get me just hopping with enthusiasm. I get to see my friends!!!! And be silly and eat and drink and talk about books!!! For 4 DAYS IN A ROW!!!

Great to have you back, Marian! The WFC in DC is going to be so sweet! Very much looking forward to it!

Guess I'm up next...

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2014-03-01 13:38:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I'm Ron, I've been a Tad Williams fan since November 1988 when I read The Dragonbone Chair on a dare from my sister. It was the biggest book in our local library, outside of the unabridged dictionary. Waiting those two years for Stone of Farewell was excruciating, because there was no information and no way of finding out updates. We had no Internet back then.

I tried to find some info on Tad and what he was writing, but in those early years, it was almost impossible. In 1992, I conducted early Internet searches that pulled up nothing.

In November 1997, I bought my own computer and quickly discovered and joined the now-legendary Halcyon Tad Williams Message Board, with its brilliant blue marbled background, and Guthwulf's similar Tad Williams Interactive Message Board, which apparently used the same forum software. My online handle developed from a silly joke about a minor side character in MS&T.

The Halcyon TWMB wasn't Y2K compliant, despite the software being written in the 1990s, and after January 1, 2000, hilarity ensued when the board dates changed to "19100". This, coupled with spam attacks and Tad's Smarch movement, led to the eventual closure of the TWMB.

I joined Smarch just after its launch in 2001, and have followed the board through its various upgrades and changes to the present day on this site.

I've only been to a few Moots: Met Tad for the first time in Summer 1999, then met Xavie and Dementia in December 2005/January 2006. I met Tad, Deb, Ylvs, Cyan, Auros, Jeremy and Dragondawn in March of last year. Almost made it to WFC last year, but didn't end up making it. So I'm VERY much looking forward to this year's WFC!

I bought a house in December 2011, and am still just settling in. Most of my adventures center around convincing the wildlife here not to move in.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2014-03-01 15:50:59

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks, Firsfron! I don't think I was on the Guthwulf board, just the Halcyon one. 1998 sounds right. :)

That's cool that you teach digital animation!

#5 2014-03-01 16:58:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim

I'm Genisis X and I'm an alcoholic... Wait, hang on. Wrong forum! :P I joined Smarch in 2004 I think. I've read the first couple of books of otherland, but didn't really like it *gasp*, loved the War of the Flowers and still haven't read TBC. I keep promising I'll get around to it.

I saw a link to the site in one of the books. I think it was Otherland. I'm really not sure.

By trade I'm a chef and I absolutely hate everything about it and can't wait until I finish university so I never have to work in this poxy industry ever again. At the moment I'm working at a sort of high end burger joint which is good for two reasons. A) there is nothing complicated or difficult about it at all and B) all the people who work there are nutjobs and are a lot of fun to be around.

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#6 2014-03-01 18:06:27

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Genisis X wrote:

I'm Genisis X and I'm an alcoholic... Wait, hang on. Wrong forum! :P I joined Smarch in 2004 I think.

I've read the first couple of books of otherland, but didn't really like it *gasp*, loved the War of the Flowers and still haven't read TBC. I keep promising I'll get around to it.

Otherland is amazing, but I can see why people wouldn't like it. WoTF was pretty cool. You need to just grab a copy of DBC and read it.

#7 2014-03-01 18:20:53

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Genisis X wrote:

I'm Genisis X and I'm an alcoholic... Wait, hang on. Wrong forum! :P I joined Smarch in 2004 I think.

I wasn't going to say anything....

#8 2014-03-01 18:22:58

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Interesting about Otherland. It was pretty mindblowing when I first read it, but I was re-reading it a few months ago, and how no one else will ever read it who hasn't seen The Matrix ... or an iPad.

#9 2014-03-01 18:36:40

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Marian wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Genisis X wrote:

I wasn't going to say anything....

In my defence I blame others!

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#10 2014-03-01 18:38:28

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Marian wrote:

Interesting about Otherland. It was pretty mindblowing when I first read it, but I was re-reading it a few months ago, and how no one else will ever read it who hasn't seen The Matrix ... or an iPad.

Yea, the Matrix was a very similar concept. Nuerocannulas and everything! I describe the Matrix as the bastard child of Otherland and Nueromancer.

-X

-Magpie

#11 2014-03-01 18:40:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yeah. Tad was so spot-on about the (i)Pad that now that they're so commonplace, it's no longer Science Fiction, it's Science Fact. And it's gone from something you'd only see in SciFi to something mundane and ordinary. Next we'll all be getting neurocannulas inserted into our brains!

#12 2014-03-01 18:41:20

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Genisis X wrote:

In my defence I blame others!

You, sir, should be a politician!

#13 2014-03-01 18:43:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I had a really hard time getting into Otherland, and it'll never be my favourite, but it still has characters that I just have to visit again every couple of years.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#14 2014-03-01 18:58:00

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I developed an instant crush on Paul Jonas that took me through to the end of the series. One of my major long-term relationships. It's kind of funny now, re-reading, because there were whole chunks of chapters I am not sure I ever read closely, but I remember all the Paul Jonas parts vividly!

I think neural implants are on the way. I will be a late adapter on that one for sure. (I still haven't gotten a smart phone, much less an iPad!)

#15 2014-03-01 19:03:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Marian wrote:

I developed an instant crush on Paul Jonas that took me through to the end of the series. One of my major long-term relationships. It's kind of funny now, re-reading, because there were whole chunks of chapters I am not sure I ever read closely, but I remember all the Paul Jonas parts vividly!

I think neural implants are on the way. I will be a late adapter on that one for sure. (I still haven't gotten a smart phone, much less an iPad!)

Yeah, me too. I refuse to get a new phone until the current one absolutely falls apart.
I think my most modern piece of technology is an approximately four-year-old laptop. And I'll be happy if things stay that way for a few more years.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#16 2014-03-01 19:09:24

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I´m Olaf. I have been reading Tad since 1991/92 when I stumbled across "The Dragonbone Chair" in  my local library. For about 50 pages I felt slightly bored and almost put the book away for good, but then it clicked and I fell in love with it and have been ever since. As soon as I was finished with it, I pestered my favourite local bookseller about the sequels and wrote letters to Tad`s German publisher at the time (I still have those letters!).

I started using the internet in 1994/1995 when I went to university and did my first searches about Tad to find out if he was writing more Osten Ard. I had read somewhere that he would be doing books about virtual reality next with the working title of "North on the Data Stream". Of course, I only wanted him to write more Osten Ard :-)

When OTHERLAND finally appeared in Germany I did NOT read it at first, even though I exchanged an email with Tad about OTHERLAND making the German bestseller list (my first Tad interaction). I waited till book four was almost out, before I finally read the damn thing and loved it, too!

But when I read that Tad was doing EPIC FANTASY again, I was over the top with excitement and joined the old Shadowmarch site about a month after it launched in 2001. I have been a (semi)regular ever since. About that time I also started collecting Tad`s books more seriously and now have a big collection with editions in several languages.

I have met Tad several times starting in 2002 at a booksigning in Bielefeld and several other signings over the years. I met the first fellow boarders in 2003 or 2004 at a signing in Cologne, I think and again in 2005 in Münster. And last year again in Stuttgart:-)

Since I completed my university degree in 2006 (with a MA thesis about Tad and Tolkien), I have worked as a bookseller. I buy far too many books (other than Tad I also love to read Tolkien, George R.R. Martin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Robin Hobb, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Lynn Flewelling, and many, many more).

I am a big movie fan, too and have many DVDs and Blu-rays. The Lord of the Rings movies are among my favourite movies and Game of Thrones, Dexter, Rome, Warehouse 12, Eureka, House, MD, True Blood, Big Bang Theory, How I met your mother are among my favourite tv shows.  I am also fond of Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica:-)

And I collect boardgames based on books as well!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#17 2014-03-01 19:49:48

Magpie
Mantis
Website

To get this thread back on track (yeah, one thing certainly hasn't changed here, we still drag threads so far off topic that it's sometimes hard to remember what the topic was supposed to be), um, who am I?

I'm Magpie, I discovered Tad's books in about 1998 when my mother got me The Dragonbone Chair from the library (I think she might have been choosing books for me just based on size), and found Smarch through Tad's note of thanks in the Shadowmarch book, early in 2006, and joined a few weeks later (I'm sure I've told the full story many times, because it was literally a moment that ended up changing my life, so I'm not going to tell it again - it's on my blog if you want to read it, starting after the second picture.)

I've been to quite a few moots in the last couple of years, and have met quite a lot of the currently active members in person (and a few no longer active ones as well). Planning my first overseas moot this year! I've met Tad three times so far, very briefly in Vienna a few years ago, and then in Stuttgart and at WFC last year.

I work in a tiny plant nursery in a little Austrian village, with a family of extremely nice and funny people, so you'll often find me telling stories about our apprentice in the Mint - he knows that I do that, by the way, and I tell him funny Smarch stories in return. And I got him into reading MST.

Plants are one of the big passions in my life, so since I got my own flat, it's become overrun by insane amounts of houseplants, and I have a vegetable garden on my balcony.

Other things I do are reading (obviously), scribbling stories that I never finish, medieval dance (which I absolutely owe to Sahi and Libra, who forced me to go dancing at a moot), occasionally knitting, blogging about far too many things (mostly plants, books, and stupid customers) and probably more stuff I'm forgetting now.

- Tad

#18 2014-03-02 04:08:03

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

I am Aan. I've read science fiction and fantasy voraciously since I first picked up my father's copy of I, Robot at the age of 11 (12?) - I'd read LotR, and young adult SF before that, but they didn't specifically make me look for more; I, Robot did. So I went to the library, started at the A (because hey, Asimov), and over the next few years read everything they had with that same symbol on the spine. This meant I was 14 by the time I got to Tad, at which point I liked the books okay, but was not overly impressed. Despite that, when a few years later (1998?) I got a postcard from a bookstore in Amsterdam about Tad being in town to sign River of Blue Fire, I was interested enough (first big name fantasy author I'd ever known to be in the country) that I went there, and bought both that and City of Golden Shade. Only exchanged a handful of words with Tad (the line was long indeed), but reading Otherland afterward, I became a fan.

Sea of Silver Light had the announcement for Shadowmarch, so I pre-registered here. Timezones (and only having regular internet access at uni), meant I missed the launch on Friday the 1st of June, so didn't get to partake of the sillyness here until the next Monday, but swiftly made this my third home (after the Wheel of Time Book Forum which gave me my longest-lived nickname). I discovered the original Forum 9, a welcome retreat during our prolonged battle against the hench people.
When the call for Mantidinae went out during the earliest months of the board, my friend Marion (whom I'd gotten to know through the first Elf Fantasy Fair a few months earlier; also, with an "o" :P), nominated me to be amongst the ranks of those putting on swirly green capes. When the old shadowmarch.com was being transitioned to tadwilliams.com in late 2007, I badgered StrangeShe about making certain we could carry over the full forum history, and ended up stepping up to do the necessary work, since the agency hired for setting up the site didn't have the relevant know-how. As thanks for my work there, they took away my glorious green cape, giving me this shabby multi-colored one as a replacement.

I first met Tad properly a year after the launch of Smarch, when I was in the USA for a wedding (summer 2002). I got to meet a first batch of what would become uncountable smarchers at this smarchmoot; hanging out at Tad's, seeing The Pole, being accosted by Sherman: all those good things. I met Tad a whole bunch of times since then; we hung out with a good group in Düsseldorf after a signing there in October 2002, I slept on his couch a year later after a smallish smarchmoot with Gigi and buma, saw him at a writer's festival in Aurora in late 2005, he came to the Elf Fantasy Fair in 2006, we hung out in Göttingen in 2011, and somehow I have the feeling I'm still forgetting half of the events.

I'm a freelance web developer, and travel a lot in between projects. That means I've had a chance to hang out with smarchers all over Europe, the USA, Australia, New Zealand and Argentina; in many cases, I've hung out with the smarchers on at least two different continents. I meet up with Sahi (whom I first met in Dallas, Texas, just before the legendary N'awlins moot) most every other week, to armwrestle for the title of having met the most smarchers. She might seem to be complaining about me frequently winning the strategic boardgames we also play on those days, but really, it's the results of the armwrestling which is actually bothering her. :D

For the past four years and a bit, I've been living together with the lovely xavie. We met - of course - during a Smarchmoot in Vienna.

Besides travelling, playing boardgames ('eurogames') and reading science fiction (fantasy has mostly faded away as a genre of interest, other than for a few favorite authors like Tad), other non-work activities which take up a lot of my time are hiking and photography (both mostly practiced while travelling) and attending concerts of female singer-songwriters.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#19 2014-03-02 04:09:16

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Hoi Marian,

I'm xavie and I don't drink. I remember you hijacking the board a couple of years ago, saying "I know I've been absent for ages, but will you join me for a Mint party tomorrow night?" - in which party we then discussed knitting and Geloe's orientation. I really don't remember why.

I got dragged onto the board once upon a time by a friend, then lurked for some time, then lost interest for years, then came back as a notorious lurker and only became somewhat more active recently. I've been to a couple of moots in Europe, with Florida as the one exception.

Also, I have the habit of joining re-reads and then dropping out during the first chapter. And I have read less then half of Tad's publications, three of which I abandoned half-way through.

Also - Paul Jonas? Really?

Edited to say:

For the past four years and a bit, I've been living together with the lovely xavie. We met - of course - during a Smarchmoot in Vienna.

Oh yes, of course. I forgot mentioning that.

Last edited by xavie (2014-03-02 04:10:48)

#20 2014-03-02 04:30:30

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

xavie wrote:

I've been to a couple of moots in Europe, with Florida as the one exception.

Also, Auckland as the second exception. *nods* :)

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#21 2014-03-02 05:27:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

xavie wrote:

I remember you hijacking the board a couple of years ago, saying "I know I've been absent for ages, but will you join me for a Mint party tomorrow night?" - in which party we then discussed knitting and Geloe's orientation. I really don't remember why.

Oh, I remember that! At least I remember there was a party, and the thing about Geloe.

- Tad

#22 2014-03-02 07:39:55

ylvs
Mantis

Heya, me is ylvs.

I also found Smarch via the announcement in Sea of Silver Light and registered the minute I read about it.

I read everything Tad writes sice I found DBC in the bookpile beside my father's bed in the early nineties ...
TGAT was my first English book (apart from books in school) because I could not wait for the german translation ... I've hardly read an english book in german ever since.

I live right in the middle of Germany (used to be almost on the border to GDR) in the lovely town where the brothers Grimm collected their fairy tales.
I studied History but am now a manager of volunteers - a profession I stumbled upon but which suits my talents perfectly.

I'm married and have two wounderful daughters, Medea aged twelve (with whom I was pregnant when joning the boards) and Freya aged 8(who even had her own name proposals thread ). They are usually referred to as Daughter 1.0 and 2.0 a sillyness Firs came up with when we all met in CA last year.

I met Dog first after a reading in Cologne in 2002 and quite regulary ever after as he comes to Germany quite often. Over the years I also met quite a few Smarchers (cyan being first when I visited my sis who had moved to CA in 2003h) and not once I was disappointed.
The higlight was without  a doubt the moot in Santa Cruz last year when I finally also met awesome Deborah.

So far so good. More in the Mint.

#23 2014-03-02 08:22:23

cyan
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

xavie wrote:

I remember you hijacking the board a couple of years ago, saying "I know I've been absent for ages, but will you join me for a Mint party tomorrow night?" - in which party we then discussed knitting and Geloe's orientation. I really don't remember why.

Oh, I remember that! At least I remember there was a party, and the thing about Geloe.

Iirc, the subject of Geloe came up because we discovered that Firs had a crush on her. ;-)

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#24 2014-03-02 09:17:07

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

:) Good memories.

Thanks for all your responses, too! This is fun, catching up.

#25 2014-03-02 11:03:16

ylvs
Mantis

Firs having a crush on Geloë? Is Aditu allowing to have crushes beside her? I do not think so.

Board footer