Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-22 11:22:28

kegone
Pilgrim

When is Book 3 coming out

Tad, you are my new favorite author....I read the entire otherland series in like a month and have eaten up the Bobby Dollar series.  I was a little annoyed about the ending of number two as it made me crazy to read the next book, it's not out!  I see nothing about a third either???!!!!   Please tell me when it will be out!  My old favorite author, Diana Gabaldon, did this to me to and I was out of my mind until the last of the series was out!  That's when I found Otherland.....Please, please, please let me know the 3rd books is almost done!!  Thanks!!

#2 2014-01-22 11:59:58

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: When is Book 3 coming out

I think the plan is for the books to be published one year apart, so I expect it will be out this September.

(Also, welcome to the boards, kegone!)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#3 2014-01-22 12:17:44

kegone
Pilgrim

thanks!  I don't know if I can wait, but I guess I have no choice?   Anyone comparable?

#4 2014-01-22 13:03:02

ylvs
Mantis

It will indeed be published in September.

We all have to wait till then.

Welcome to the boards Kegone!

If you want to spend some of the waiting time speculating here you're even more welcome.
Join a conversation or start a new one.

Otherwise the regulars like humble self hang out in the Quiller's Mint ...

*transports herself back in the Mint*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#5 2014-01-22 13:07:22

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Welcome to the boards!

September it is... and it's a long way away, so we know how you feel.

I'm guessing you ask if there's a comparable author? There are many wonderful authors out there, but if you ask HERE, the answer is they don't compare ;)

I do urge you to read Tad's fantasy series Memory, Sorrow & Thorn. The first book being The Dragonbone Chair. In my opinion it's his best work.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#6 2014-01-22 13:12:28

ylvs
Mantis

Kenan wrote:

I do urge you to read Tad's fantasy series Memory, Sorrow & Thorn. The first book being The Dragonbone Chair. In my opinion it's his best work.

*nods*

I don't think anybody here dares to disagree. Read MST. It's best story evs!

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#7 2014-01-22 13:53:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Welcome, Kegone!

Yes, the first two Bobby Dollar books sure do whet your appetite for more, don't they? Especially the horrible, excruciating stuff that happens in book 2. That elevator scene alone...

But while you're waiting, I also recommend and agree with Kenan and Ylvs about Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, which is Tad's greatest series of all time.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#8 2014-01-23 00:18:16

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Another welcome from me, too.

Yes, I agree with everyone here. You should definitely read MST. And it is also nice and long and should keep you busy for a while.

However, if you are in the mood for something more contemporary you might  want to try Tad´s other urban fantasy, THE WAR OF THE FLOWERS. It is big one volume story, but in tone closer to the Bobby Dollar books. With a smart-ass fairy that looks a lot like Tinkerbell. But who would slap your face if your so much as suggested that she does:-)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#9 2014-01-23 01:19:58

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Welcome.  Watch out for madmen.  (I'm mad. He's mad. We're all mad here.)

So do we pronounce you as "keg wun", or "key gohn" or what? :-)

Also: I heartily second the recommendation of War of the Flowers.  That's the one that I always recommend to people if I want to get them started on Tad, because it's a standalone, and reasonably short.

Last edited by Auros (2014-01-23 01:20:38)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#10 2014-01-24 12:29:14

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Hi, Kegone!  Yes, as mentioned, book three coming in September, and I'm hoping to have book four -- here's a sneak of the title: Forever O'Clock -- by autumn of the year after.  And other projects, to be announced.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#11 2014-02-02 05:34:03

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Book three now listed on the Hodder website with blurb and all: Pub date is September 11th.

https://www.hodder.co.uk/books/detail.p … 1444738650

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#12 2014-02-04 13:04:53

ylvs
Mantis

And is'nt it sad how all those newbies turn up, are warmly welcomed by the crowd and even Dog whom they never would beliebe to actually be on his board and then ... never come back to find out.

Scrollbearer

#13 2014-02-05 08:37:33

Olaf
Mantis
Website

The UK editions of SLOJD are now available for pre-order on Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk. Both the hardcover and the trade paperback edition (for commonwealth exports) have a pub date on September 11th.

BTW, the new UK paperback cover for HHiH is also online: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n%2Bk4KZS4L.jpg

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#14 2014-02-17 14:31:15

Olaf
Mantis
Website

The US edition is now also listed at the big A. The offical pub date is September 2nd.

http://www.amazon.de/Sleeping-Late-Judg … d+williams

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#15 2014-03-10 10:32:58

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I'm assuming you saw this, but the dog posted on facebook yesterday:

I've just finished SLEEPING LATE ON JUDGMENT DAY, except for the usual proofing, etc. I'm really pleased with how it came out. I was worried when I started, because it follows the Grand Guignol of HAPPY HOUR, but I think in the end it delivers everything I hoped it would, expanding Bobby and his world and answering a lot of questions I'd been dangling since the first volume.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#16 2014-03-10 10:40:03

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It was posted over in the Doghouse, but this is probably a better thread for it :)

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#17 2014-03-10 12:13:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

After the excruciating pain throughout Book Two, I'm sort of cringing even thinking about reading Book Three.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#18 2014-03-10 12:26:17

Olaf
Mantis
Website

But think of all the answers we`ll be getting:-)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#19 2014-03-10 12:45:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

True.

Finally! :)

#20 2014-03-10 12:48:42

ylvs
Mantis

I bet we're not getting all the answers.

I bet we will still be in the dark on the existence of God after reading it.

But I hope for some answers. Some more even.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Scrollbearer

#21 2014-03-10 12:53:35

ylvs
Mantis

Kenan wrote:

I'm assuming you saw this, but the dog posted on facebook yesterday:

I've just finished SLEEPING LATE ON JUDGMENT DAY, except for the usual proofing, etc. I'm really pleased with how it came out. I was worried when I started, because it follows the Grand Guignol of HAPPY HOUR, but I think in the end it delivers everything I hoped it would, expanding Bobby and his world and answering a lot of questions I'd been dangling since the first volume.

Kenan, just fyi and not at all to lecture you:

Dog is spelled with a capital D. This nick dates from the early days of Smarch when the crowd wanted to declare him our God. He refused but agreed on being God spelled backwards, hence Dog.

Scrollbearer

#22 2014-03-10 13:12:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

I bet we're not getting all the answers.

No, we never do. And getting all the answers would mean no need for a fourth book.

#23 2014-03-10 13:28:40

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Probably not, but some answers and some closure since the next books are supposedly stand-aloneish.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#24 2014-03-10 14:21:04

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I was just looking at some old videos of Tad`s from the Frankfurt Book Fair in 2002 (I think) which I found on Peter`s website from way back when. And in one of the short clips he talked about wanting to write about an undead detective who has to solve a mystery. The origins of Bobby D. go back a long time obviously:-)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#25 2014-03-10 14:47:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yeah, I saw that video last year. It really brought a smile to my face. It made me realize how long that writing process really takes: you have to mull it over in your head for a very long time. And of course Tad had a lot of other stories to write during that time, so there was no time for him to write Bobby Dollar stories.

We just need to clone him ten times. Then he can write all the stories he wants (one Tad, sadly, will have to stay behind to take care of all the animals and mundane chores around the house).

Board footer