Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-27 23:43:21

ekrug
Pilgrim

What do ghants look like?

Hi All,

I'm reading the books for the first time, currently half way through Part 1 of the third book. And I've got to ask, what do ghants look like? I know they're supposed to be half human half crab-eske but I really can't picture that in my mind! Is there any further descriptions? Is there any fan art of what they look like?

Thanks, Eliza.

#2 2013-11-28 05:29:53

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Re: What do ghants look like?

Hi ekrug,

As far as I remember the description of them is limited to many-legged, many-eyes (?), clicking sounds and eerily intelligent gazes. I always pictured them as huge spiders (even though they are supposed to look like crabs). Maybe I added the many eyes in my mind to make them more spider-like.

#3 2013-11-28 09:44:16

ylvs
Mantis

Welcome to the boards ekrug!

To me they always look like huge cockroaches. The Ghant's nest is the creepiest chapter of all MST and I admit that I skipped it in my last reread ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#4 2013-11-28 11:00:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I imagine then looking like a half-beetle, half-crab-looking thing, but with intelligent eyes.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2013-11-28 13:30:27

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Here's another interpretation, though in my own mind they look closer to what Firsfron suggests

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#6 2013-11-28 16:34:07

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firs' picture comes pretty close to my imagination, except that in my head they are brown.

Definitely not spider-like, no eight legs and however many eyes. Because if I start thinking of them as spiders, those scenes will be almost impossible for me to read.  The Ghants are creepy as hell anyway, but if I imagine them as spiders, combined with my slight arachnophobia, just... no.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#7 2013-11-28 19:14:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Here's another interpretation, though in my own mind they look closer to what Firsfron suggests

Ooh, that's neat! Not what I imagine, but definitely ghastly! And maybe accurate, based on what Tad said a while back about kilpas.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#8 2013-11-29 00:07:03

ylvs
Mantis

But Ghants have to have more than four limbs.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#9 2013-11-29 00:13:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I wonder if the text actually mentions the number of limbs on a ghant?

#10 2013-11-29 00:24:22

cyan
Mantis

I've always pictured them as a sort-of albino-y slimy cross between an ant and a spider.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#11 2013-11-29 00:31:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

cyan wrote:

I've always pictured them as a sort-of albino-y slimy cross between an ant and a spider.

Like this?

#12 2013-11-29 00:35:50

cyan
Mantis

Eeewww.  But more of the greyish-white of dead things, and slimy, and a longer body like what Kenan linked to but with six limbs or so.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#13 2013-11-29 02:24:09

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Yes, creepy they are! This is why I skipped the ghant nest chapter in my last re-read. Uagh!

#14 2013-11-29 07:23:39

Kalu
Pilgrim
Website

In the picture in my mind, ghants are more flea-like - without the long hind legs...

Your nocturnal perseverance has earned you a secret gaming tip: go to bed!

#15 2013-11-29 07:50:52

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Kenan wrote:

Ooh, that's neat! Not what I imagine, but definitely ghastly! And maybe accurate, based on what Tad said a while back about kilpas.

What did he say about kilpas?

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#16 2013-11-29 09:06:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

He hinted that they are actually the lost people of Jhina T'senei, the Gardenborn city swallowed by the ocean. And that this is why the Niskies can control them through their songs: they have an affinity. The Tinukeda'ya can Reshape themselves, as we all know.

And so that picture, showing a very humanoid looking ghant, made me think about the ghants. Would a Niskie be able to sing them away, too? And if so, what would that say about ghant origins? I don't know if I believe this idea, but it's one worth exploring. Why did the mirror affect them so when it doesn't affect other animals? Something to ponder.

#17 2014-03-03 14:12:52

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Printing these pictures to show to the apprentice tomorrow, since we've been discussing ghants. (Well, I'm not printing the pic of the white spider, because 1. eww, and 2. I can show him spiders like that in real life, no need for a picture (though thankfully not ghant-sized

- Tad

#18 2014-03-03 14:22:20

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

You won't even print a picture of a white spider?! Seriously?

#19 2014-03-03 14:47:25

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I am so afraid of spiders, I cannot even look at a pic of a spider without being utterly terrified. And if I look at a pic by accident that image will haunt me for days to come. I am probably one of the most arachnophobic persons on earth.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#20 2014-03-03 14:52:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I'm not a big fan of the giant centipedes here, but spiders don't scare me so much. Except, one time, there was this very large, bright green one with red eyes that kind of freaked me out.

#21 2014-03-04 09:18:58

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I'm not a big fan of the giant centipedes here, but spiders don't scare me so much. Except, one time, there was this very large, bright green one with red eyes that kind of freaked me out.

Thanks for the nightmares!!!!

Seriously, some bugs and spiders makes me uncomfortable, but rarely more than that.

#22 2014-03-04 12:50:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Try sleeping after having that loose in your house!

#23 2014-03-04 12:58:21

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Sounds like about as much fun as trying to sleep at Libra's house after she told me about how one night a big fat spider ran over her face. And after I found an even bigger spider sitting on the wall behind my chair.

- Tad

#24 2014-03-04 13:00:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I'm not really bothered by spiders, but I totally get that!

#25 2014-03-04 13:21:45

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Kenan wrote:

Perhaps in a Panic Room?!!?

Board footer