Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-08-28 13:25:38

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

It's very confusing.  Usually for me the best thing to do is find a reviewer or reviewers with the same tastes as me and just go by their overall take -- if they like it, I probably will.

A guy named Mick LaSalle used to review movies for the SF (San Francisco) Chronicle, though, and if he liked it, I never did, and often vice versa.  He wasn't crazy or boring or anything, just any movie that was at all up for debate, we inevitably went opposite directions.  It was just as useful as following someone with whom I agreed.  If he hated it, but it looked half-good, I'd probably like it.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#52 2013-08-28 13:57:32

Olaf
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Sometimes I don't understand how the reviewers get to their stars. This one leans more to the negative side yet is giving it four stars while this http://phobosmoon.blogspot.de/2013/08/a … n-hell.htm is reviewing the book almost enthusiasticly while only giving three ...

That is why I dislike the "star system" for book reviewing. Unfortunately, some force you to do a rating (Amazon/Goodreads). Usually, a good book review should have pros/cons in equal measure and help the reader form an informed opinion if the book might be something for him/her. Rating a book does not help with that, because what someone considered the weakness of the book, someone else might see at the biggest strength. A good argument is better than any rating.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#53 2013-08-28 15:43:51

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

It can be entertaining to go on say Amazon and read some of the 1-star reviews of books (products too, sometimes). I think I went through some of the Shadowheart ones, most of them were of the general jist: "This book made no sense, I didn't like it, I had no clue what was going on, I didn't read the other ones." Well durrr no wonder it made no sense. I read some of the ones for Hugh Howey's "Shift", the prequel to "Wool" (written after "Wool"), a few of them were: "I keep waiting for Jules to make an appearance, but there are NO characters from Wool, what gives??" Do you not understand what the word prequel means?

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#54 2013-08-29 15:12:10

Tad
Hierarch
Website

I'm afraid I read fewer and fewer reviews of my books (at least those written by people I don't know).  Because the good ones make me nervous, for some reason -- feels like bragging, sort of, to read people saying nice things about my work -- and the bad ones make me feel queasy.

I would never make a good reviewer myself, because I hate saying bad things about someone else's work, even when it doesn't work for me, and I know too many people in the field -- even more now because of Facebook and Twitter -- to be comfortable, no matter how justified a slam might be.  I know how hard we all work.  I know how closely our identities are wrapped in our creations.  And I'm one of the MORE well-balanced writers.  Don't laugh: I mean in the sense that my self-worth is not entirely shattered if someone doesn't like what I do.

-- Dylan

#55 2013-08-30 16:15:30

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Here's mine.
I'll go looking for other places to post it, with a bigger readership... tomorrow. Right now, I really need to get some sleep.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#56 2013-09-02 13:17:41

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#57 2013-09-02 13:50:19

Tad
Hierarch
Website

I liked that one.  Didn't make me nervous.

-- Dylan

#58 2013-09-03 00:05:41

Olaf
Mantis
Website

BTW, today is the offical pubdate for "Happy Hour in Hell" in the US. The UK editions follows on September 26th. So, between today and the 26th there will probably a lot of coverage!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#59 2013-09-03 23:57:19

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Review on Lytherus:

http://lytherus.com/2013/09/03/review-t … hour-hell/

Tad is also the "Featured author of the week" with new content coming every day:
http://lytherus.com/2013/09/02/featured … -lytherus/

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#60 2013-09-04 00:01:53

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#61 2013-09-04 23:57:14

ylvs
Mantis

And this

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#62 2013-09-05 00:31:16

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Thanks for putting these up.  I'm trying to cure my allergy to reading reviews.

-- Dylan

#63 2013-09-05 11:10:16

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Long, substantial review at Tor.com

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/09/book-r … d-williams

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#64 2013-09-05 11:21:23

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#65 2013-09-05 11:28:33

ylvs
Mantis

Tad wrote:

Thanks for putting these up.  I'm trying to cure my allergy to reading reviews.

Can't be worse than writing hell ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#66 2013-09-05 12:03:08

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Actually, reading reviews is a minor version of Hell for me.

-- Dylan

#67 2013-09-05 12:50:13

ylvs
Mantis

As reading Hell was Hell for me this sounds somehow fair.

Scrollbearer

#68 2013-09-06 13:03:27

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Yeah, but it was hell writing it for me, too.

I just can't win.

-- Dylan

#69 2013-09-06 15:14:22

ylvs
Mantis

Then just stop trying to overcome the review reading hell.
It's not your job reading reviews after all.
Your job is writing great books.
That's enough.

Scrollbearer

#70 2013-09-06 15:34:19

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

That, and leading octomobs into battle.
Leading from behind, of course, as all great leaders do.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#71 2013-09-10 13:20:13

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Another good one:

http://dwcoventry.com/blog/2013/9/10/bo … ur-in-hell

I want to gush more about some of the awful aspects of the underworld and the fun twists and turns that Bobby endures (it's not a spoiler to say he endures, since the next book is already in the works) but I owe it to you to keep this one under wraps. Read Dirty Streets of Heaven for some context (it's a quick read for a weekend) and then dive straight into this awful, bloody, amazing mess. You won't regret it.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#72 2013-09-11 13:10:57

ylvs
Mantis

Scrollbearer

#73 2013-09-12 02:21:56

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Link collection to recent interviews and reviews of HHiH.

http://thedirtystreetsofheaven.wordpres … r-in-hell/

In other news:
The US unabridged audio edition of HHiH should be available sometime today or tomorrow. It can be downloaded from Audible.com/Audible.de. And Amazon as well, I should assume. It is again read by George Newburn.

A UK audio edition will follow at the end of the month.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#74 2013-09-12 10:14:26

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Tad about world-building in the Bobby Dollar books:

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/giveaw … erature%29

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#75 2013-09-16 11:33:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Another one that I stumbled on last night:
http://singmuses.wordpress.com/2013/09/ … -williams/

Amazon is frustrating me. They won't post my review, without telling me why. Tell me what is wrong, goddammit, so I can fix it!
And the Thalia website is frustrating me too, because I can't figure out how to create line breaks. I know it's possible, because I've seen them in other reviews, but I just can't make them work.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

Board footer