Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.


You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-05 13:21:21

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4907
Website

Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Let the Games begin anew:

Publishers Weekly
The second installment of Williams’s urban fantasy series (after The Dirty Streets of Heaven) starts off, like the previous installment, with wisecracking Bobby Dollar (aka the Angel Doloriel) proving he “never lets facts or good sense stand in the way of a suicidally foolish course of action.” Bobby, on “indefinite leave” from work as a soul-saving angel, is pining away for his demon girlfriend, Caz, Countess of the Cold Hands, who’s now in Hell with her owner, Eligor the Horseman. Bobby is also being hunted by a twice-dead psycho-killer demon, Smyler, demanding the magical golden feather that Bobby stole from none other than Eligor. Wearing a new demon body and persona, Bobby embarks on a chaotic cloak-and-dagger mission through Hell’s many levels of infernal protocols and punishments to rescue Caz. Fans are assured of dark humor, even darker adventures, and quirky characters in this solid read, though the too-long stay in Hell sometimes slows the storyline. Agent: Matt Bialer, Sanford J. Greenberger Associates. (Sept.)

Like last year, Publishers Weekly is the first one out the door. This time around they don`t seem to be quite as enthusiastic as last year.


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#2 2013-08-07 12:39:31

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4907
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

The first Goodreads reactions and ratings are coming in too:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1351 … ur-in-hell


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#3 2013-08-07 13:27:06

Tad
Hierarch
From: California
Registered: 2001-05-30
Posts: 7612
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Personally, I think the too-long stay in Hell is what separates it from ordinary adventure fiction.  But I might be prejudiced.

Anyway, I'm thrilled it's out and getting reviewed.  Number three is in rewrite already, and I'm thinking about number four (well, I've got a story, but I'm fleshing it out.)


"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

 

#4 2013-08-07 14:40:45

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4907
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Review from Romantic Times (don`t know what it says, because it is behind a paywall):

http://www.rtbookreviews.com/book-revie … -hour-hell


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#5 2013-08-08 04:59:23

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

I disagree with Publisher's Weekly. Hell is dreadful and the "too long stay" brings this across to the reader. The core topic of Happy Hour is the question if damnation for eternity is justifiable. At least that is how I read it, so it is important that the reader get an inkling about it ... although no human will ever grsp the concept of eternity, we're just not made  this way ...
I really should write my review and not only think about it ...


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#6 2013-08-08 21:54:01

Tad
Hierarch
From: California
Registered: 2001-05-30
Posts: 7612
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

I'd love to hear what you thought, Ylva.  I write to be read, and even discussed.  Not because I think I'm so grand and worthy, but because talking to writers (at least in my head) has always been a big part of my reading experience.


"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

 

#7 2013-08-08 23:18:08

Magpie
Mantis
From: miraculously thistle-free town
Registered: 2006-03-27
Posts: 32661
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

I'm still chewing on what to say about it. I feel like I should read it again to do it justice when I'm going to write a review, but it's ... not an easy book to reread, because the gruesomeness of Hell is just described so well.


Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

 

#8 2013-08-09 12:36:11

Tad
Hierarch
From: California
Registered: 2001-05-30
Posts: 7612
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Like I said, Magpie, I'm just happy to hear what people think, formally or informally.


"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

 

#9 2013-08-09 13:15:05

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Ok, so I do it informally here first (still struggling with my review).
Just some random thoughts:
I think it's one of the best books you've ever written, Tad. And I say this despite the fact that I had to put it down repeatedly because some chapters in hell are so very very very gruesome.

The idea of a static Heaven vs. an evolving Hell is just brilliant.
I felt compassion for the damned souls as well as for some of the demons and I love the core theme/ the philosophical question this book asks: is eternal damnation justifiable in any way?

The deep layers of heavenly politics left me stunned.
I loved the allusions to Dante, Breughel and Bosch and how well you researched Christian views of hell, mediaval ones especially.
I don't want to see tis book made into a movie, I'm much too squirmish for that.
I grew truely fond of Bobby D. which I was not after Dirty Streets.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#10 2013-08-09 13:27:57

Magpie
Mantis
From: miraculously thistle-free town
Registered: 2006-03-27
Posts: 32661
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

ylvs wrote:

Ok, so I do it informally here first (still struggling with my review).
Just some random thoughts:
I think it's one of the best books you've ever written, Tad. And I say this despite the fact that I had to put it down repeatedly because some chapters in hell are so very very very gruesome.

This.
I had to go away and read silly stuff on the internet after every chapter.
Every time I thought I was getting used to it, I was hit with a new kind of awful.

At the Hugendubel reading, that... what was his name? Mr Askani? - said, several times, that he thought they were selling TDSoH much too cheaply for the insider's description of Heaven it contains. I can't help thinking of what he'll do when he gets to the description of Hell!


Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

 

#11 2013-08-09 13:57:55

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4907
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

New review from Barnes & Noble:

From Barnes & Noble

Under normal circumstances, Bobby Dollar (a.k.a. Doloriel) wouldn't have chosen to go to Hell. He is, after all, an angel; not exactly the type of guy favored in those fiery regions. But Bobby really has no choice: His girlfriend, the gorgeous demon Casimira, is incarcerated in those nether regions and needs to be rescued. (How did an angel become entangled with the Countess of Cold Hands? Don't even ask.) Meanwhile, while we are contemplating the extremity of this situation, our angelic lover is slithering into subterranean places, acutely aware that he will soon face hellfire on a thousand fronts. An exhilarating leap into the unknown in the company of an angelic being with a whole new take on the Seven Deadly Sins.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/happy-h … 0756408152


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#12 2013-08-09 15:05:25

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Magpie, we kind of suggest that the book is too awful/gruesome to read. I sincerely want to stress that in addition to the horrible stuff (and I just say Vera here. I'll never be able to befriend someone with that name from now on) this book is full of compassion and pure excitement and love (which is what brings Bobby to Hell in the first place) and yes fun as well. I laughed less than in Dirty Streets but Bobby's sarcasm really shines again and it has hilarious moments - I think I never before laughed while reading  a torture sequence.

For me it was a rollercoaster of emotions ... and the philosophical questions raised en passant still keep me thinking ... and I am too tired now to elaborate my thoughts any further.

To keep it simple: very good book, highly recommended.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#13 2013-08-09 15:23:36

Magpie
Mantis
From: miraculously thistle-free town
Registered: 2006-03-27
Posts: 32661
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Yes, we kind of do...

I have probably said this before somewhere, I find Bobby much funnier since having heard Tad read from TDSoH, and having talked to him, and that was definitely also the case during Happy Hour.  Plenty of giggles.

And the characters... I have always thought that Hell is bound to get the more interesting people, and it does. I must admit I'm still not feeling really attached to most of the characters in Dirty Streets, but with the ones in Hell it happened much more quickly.

And (I believe I have said this elsewhere as well, but it deserves to be repeated): getting to read it so early was awesome, but it also means I have to wait even longer for the next book, which is just mean! Because I really, really can't wait.


Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

 

#14 2013-08-09 19:25:15

PeterJW
Pilgrim
Registered: 2008-01-19
Posts: 613

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Just as long as Angel Doloriel has a chainsaw, he will be all right in Hell!!  Actually, the book is not yet available in Montreal.  However, my immediate impression of it is that it is meant as Tad's homage to the "DOOM" computer game franchise.  I certainly remember the somewhat spooky imagery, gore and violence of the original DOOM games and DOOM 3.  All that never really bothered me though.  Indeed, I always saw DOOM as a gory, escapist comedy.

I also enjoyed the Hell sequences in Doom 3.  The level design and imagery in that game have to be seen to be believed. Still, that being said,  I am looking forward to Tad's vision of Hell.  I anticipate that his imagery will be spectacular too!

 

#15 2013-08-10 00:41:25

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Actually the book is not available anywhere, yet. Magpie and I have early copies.
I've never played DOOM (or other games like this) but I can very well imagine that Tad got inspiration there as well as from horror films (which I do not watch either). I'm quite curious which references everybody else wil
I have to disappoint you in one way PeterJW: Bobby has no chainsaw. Iirc nobody has a chainsaw, Hell is completely chainsawless.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#16 2013-08-10 00:43:39

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

PeterJW wrote:

I anticipate that his imagery will be spectacular too!

Be asured it is!


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#17 2013-08-10 09:13:43

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

I still haven't read it yet.  *ashamed*


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#18 2013-08-10 13:18:05

Tad
Hierarch
From: California
Registered: 2001-05-30
Posts: 7612
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

As long as you're ashamed, I am happy.

I believe in the power of shame and guilt.  Shame, guilt, and the occasional cookie, make the universe go 'round.


"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

 

#19 2013-08-10 14:15:30

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Tad wrote:

I believe in the power of shame and guilt.  Shame, guilt, and the occasional cookie, make the universe go 'round.

Apparently so, reading has commenced and I'm up to page 65.  Can I have a cookie now?


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#20 2013-08-10 14:18:02

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

*hands cyan a cookie*

You'll ge the rest of the box when you're done.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAA!


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#21 2013-08-10 14:30:26

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

*nomnomnom*


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#22 2013-08-10 15:20:58

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4907
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

*all hail the power of shame, guilt and cookies*


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#23 2013-08-11 01:23:17

Tad
Hierarch
From: California
Registered: 2001-05-30
Posts: 7612
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

I am furiously happy to hear you've been cookied, CY.  Life without cookies is just a sadder version of life.


"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

 

#24 2013-08-11 05:14:46

Magpie
Mantis
From: miraculously thistle-free town
Registered: 2006-03-27
Posts: 32661
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

I live in a sad version of life then (and Peter in an even sadder one, since he isn't allowed to eat cookies).


ylvs wrote:

(and I just say Vera here. I'll never be able to befriend someone with that name from now on)

Forgot to say this before: my arch-enemy in vocational school was called Vera. So I very much approve of the use of that name for evil people.
(Although, admittedly, "my" Vera wasn't actually evil, just the leader of the popular kids.


Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

 

#25 2013-08-11 15:11:03

Peter
Pilgrim
From: Austria
Registered: 2001-08-23
Posts: 39215
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell Reviews

Magpie wrote:

I live in a sad version of life then (and Peter in an even sadder one, since he isn't allowed to eat cookies).

I shall get that fixed and return to the happy world of cookies!
Hell needs to wait a little longer for me.
(Part of it until September *fidgets*)


May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB