Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-06-07 11:19:34

Rook
Mantis
Website

Re: The Poetry Slam

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Firs, you really gotta fight keeping your title as poet of Smarch ... Rook is much more productive ...

Well, Rook's an assembly line of poetry... a veritable cornucopia of prose. But I thought you wanted quality!

Very well, since you insist on quantity over quality, I give you the worst poem I ever wrote:

Billy's Death

Billy fell down into the troth
(Butterfly, butterfly, butterfly, moth)

He fell so hard that he cracked his skull
(Mouse, mouse, mouse, mole)

His body flew off from his big noggin
(Vulture, vulture, vulture, robin)

The doctor came to look at his head
(Catfish, catfish, catfish, bullhead)

And then he said, "Dear me, he's dead!"

*snap* *snap* *snap*

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#27 2013-06-07 15:01:04

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

And then I saw a dead mole on the way to work, and guess what I had stuck in my head for the rest of the way? (Would have been longer, but work got too busy.)

LOL! Er, I mean, sorry.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#28 2013-06-07 18:42:36

cyan
Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Billy fell down into the troth
(Butterfly, butterfly, butterfly, moth)

Wait, shouldn't that be trough?  Because my dictionary says: troth - loyal or pledged faithfullness; fidelity.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#29 2013-06-07 20:39:42

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Good catch, Cyan! :) Edited!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#30 2013-06-07 21:27:35

cyan
Mantis

Sorry Firsfron, it's tacky of me to suggest you should use a word other than the one you chose for your poem.  I rather like the idea of Billy falling so hard into his fidelity that it cracked his skull.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#31 2013-06-08 00:26:09

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

LOL!

#32 2013-06-11 15:55:02

Rook
Mantis
Website

Hmmm... still have to come up with a poem that's more related to TWMB.  So here's another one!  It's inspired by an article my wife came across about a recent movie (which shouldn't be too hard to discern) as well as a reading of "To An Athlete Dying Young."

The press says that you took your life, George Reeves.
An ill-timed buck laid low the great Chris Reeve.
Meanwhile Tom Welling, Brandon Routh, Dean Cain
Are no big stars but dim remembered names.

They say that there’s a curse that Reeves began
Woe to all actors playing Superman
Rue thy cursed fate, Henry Cavill,
Doomed’s your career now you’re the Man of Steel.

Great is the burden — He who wears the tights
And red cape must pose with heroic might…
With wide-eyed earnestness of a Clark Kent?
To be typecast, it seems no accident.

And yet… is not the price worth the renown?
For when you’re Superman, there’s naught but down.
Like comets burning through the skies you shoot
As paragon of justice and of truth.

An honor given to priv’leged few men
To play the Legend comics can’t contain;
Even films struggle to depict his scope!
For this short time, you play our greatest hope.

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#33 2013-06-17 15:29:14

Rook
Mantis
Website

When my lungs rip a nasty hack
Just douse me in Laird’s Applejack
General George’s medicine
Was cure enough for what ailed him
So let me gargle up the putrid
Nasty yellow cleaning fluid
That makes my Asian ears turn red
Which my wife saved for gingerbread.

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#34 2014-04-03 10:38:03

Rook
Mantis
Website

I was inspired to do something simple today.  The challenge at NaPoWriMo was a charm (sort of a magic spell), but I was inspired by the second part of the description: that it sounds like a nursery rhyme.  So... this one's a little like a nursery rhyme.

The Lion-Tamer stands beside
The yawning lions of the pride.
Snap! Snap! He cracks his big bull whip!
Snap! Snap! The lions’ paws go up.
He blows his whistle. Tweet! Tweet! Tweet!
The lions stand up on their feet.
“Huttah!” The Lion-Tamer whoops
As lions jump through flaming hoops.
The Lion-Tamer’s not alarmed,
He lives Lion-Tamer’s Charm:
Keep lion appetites sustained, or
One less circus entertainer!

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#35 2014-04-24 11:11:01

Rook
Mantis
Website

Getting toward the end of NaPoWriMo.  It's been a pretty good month so far, though it was more challenging than last year... mainly because I tried to focus on one subject (circus and carnivals).  It is tough!  Makes me respect the dude who, year after year, only writes poems about masonry.

Speaking of.... This poem is inspired by his poetry attempts.  (His blog was the inspiration for today's NaPoWriMo challenge.)

Light gray stones, all flat and round
Rises ten inches from the ground
And barely just a palm's width wide
Bisects the verdant country side.

On one side's a grassy hill
With dandelions and bluebells.
The other side of this low wall
The border of suburban sprawl.

All I see: a stone tightrope
Suspended 'bove the world below
One foot behind the other's sole
Arms splayed out like a balance pole

Inching slowly forward now
As much as the wall will allow;
Arching left, then quickly --- right!
Bracing till the end's in sight.

But if somehow I am offset
I fall to the ground's safety net
And then I raise my arms because
Imagined crowds break in applause.

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#36 2014-04-25 00:12:14

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Lovely! Now that's the kind of poetry I can get!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#37 2014-05-08 14:42:09

Em
Mantis

A new cheese quote (not original with me):

"Sweet dreams are made of cheese,
Who am I to dis a brie?"

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#38 2014-05-11 21:25:57

bumadax
Pilgrim
Website

Wow Rook you're really prolific and really good! I almost never write rhyme poetry - a combination of me being lazy and having a preference for more free form.

Dunno if I mentioned this on this forum yet but I do this thing where I sit on the street with a typewriter and a box that says "poem: your topic your price," and make a decent amount of money when I go do it. I even take pictures of the poems I've written people with them holding the paper slightly below their eyes, and I made a website for it - if anyone is interested: lewislewispoems.net.

#39 2014-05-11 22:15:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Max, you aren't Typewriter Guy, by any chance? That guy rocks!

I've been reading through your Lewis Lewis poems. I really like the Mother's Day one!

#40 2014-05-11 22:25:02

bumadax
Pilgrim
Website

I'm definitely not that guy!

He's not the only "typewriter guy" out there, either. (And there is at least one "typewriter gal" in existence: one of which I know about who does Los Angeles farmer's markets.)

Thanks! I find the more holiday/anniversary/birthday ones to be kind of boring because they make me feel like a hallmark card dispenser. Yet at the same time it's nice to be challenged to think of nice, hopeful, inspiring things to type onto the page even when I'm suddenly irritated by the triteness of the request.

Also I think this weekend I did a total of like 5 mother's day poems... not everyone wants their picture taken with the poem. I think 3 of them are on the website.

#41 2014-05-12 13:39:33

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

bumadax wrote:

He's not the only "typewriter guy" out there, either.

No indeed.

#42 2014-05-12 15:07:50

Rook
Mantis
Website

bumadax wrote:

Wow Rook you're really prolific and really good! I almost never write rhyme poetry - a combination of me being lazy and having a preference for more free form.

Thanks!  Honestly, though, I do rhyme mainly because I'm terrible with free verse.  I can never get the rhythm right.  So it's almost a cheat for me to do iambic pentameter or the one with eight beats (there's an official name for it, and I think it's Indian in origin, but I can't remember it right now).

Rooktopia! (Personal)

Board footer