Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-19 09:01:56

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Past Publications 2013

Since there are quite a number of completist collectors among us, I thought it would be useful to have a list of recent and forthcoming Tad publications to consult. I started compiling one for 2013/14. If you have corrections and/or additions please feel free tp post them here:-)

Tad Williams 2013 Publications

Just Published
Die Geheimnisse der Tinkerfarm (The Secrets of Ordinary Farm) German trade paperback reprint, Klett-Cotta: January.

Der Drachenbeinthron (The Dragonbone Chair) German unabridged audiobook (read by Andreas Fröhlich) 4mp3 CDs, Hörverlag: February.

La Ferme de Dragons (The Dragons of Ordinary Farm) French trade paperback. First French edition. Pocket: March.

The Diary of a Dragon (chapbook). Subterranean Press hardcover: April.

Forthcoming

Shadowmarch. El juego de las sombras (Shadowplay) First Spanisch trade paperback edition. Alamut: May 2013

Der Abschiedsstein (Stone of Farewell) German unabridged audiobook (read by Andreas Fröhlich) 4mp3 CDs, Hörverlag: Juni 2013.

The Dirty Streets of Heaven. UK paperback reprint. Hodder & Stoughton: June.

Las sucias calles del cielo (The Dirty Streets of Heaven) First Spanish edition. RBA Libros: June 2013.

The Dirty Streets of Heaven. US paperback reprint. Daw Books: July.

Die dunklen Gassen des Himmels (The Dirty Streets of Heaven) German Hardcover. First German Edition. Klett-Cotta: August.

Die dunklen Gassen des Himmels (The Dirty Streets of Heaven) German unabridged audiobook (read by Simon Jäger) 3mp3 CDs, Hörverlag: August.

Happy Hour in Hell. First hardcover edition. Daw Books: September.

Happy Hour in Hell. First UK hardcover edition. Hodder & Stoughton: September.

Happy Hour in Hell. First UK trade paperback (export) edition. Hodder & Stoughton: September.

Shadowmarch. El ascenso de las sombras (Shadowrise) First Spanish trade paperback edition. Alamut: second half of 2013.

Die Nornenkönigin  (To Green Angel Tower Part One) German unabridged audiobook (read by Andreas Fröhlich) 4mp3 CDs, Hörverlag: October.

The Very Best of Tad Williams (reprint collection) Tachyon Publications: March 2014

Happy Hour in Hell. UK paperback reprint. Hodder & Stoughton: March 2014.

Shadowmarch. El corazón de las sombras (Shadowheart) First Spanish trade paperback edition. Alamut:  first half of 2014.

Stories
“The Happiest Dead Boy in the World” Lightspeed Magazine February 2013 (Exclusive E-Book content).Reprint. January.

”The Boy Detective of Otherland” Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond. Ed. By John Joseph Adams & Douglas Cohen,  47th North: February.

“The Old Scale Game” Unfettered. New Tales by Masters of Fantasy. Ed. By Shawn Speakman. Grim Oak Press: May.

“Medicine Dance, Arizona” Dead Man`s Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West. Ed. by John Joseph Adams. Titan Books: May 2014.

Other
“Introduction” Neverland`s Library Anthology. Early 2014. [more details forthcoming].

Last edited by Olaf (2013-03-19 11:51:52)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2013-03-19 10:24:43

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Past Publications 2013

Don't forget The Diary of a Dragon, which was announced in 2012, but which is still on pre-order status as of this week. It will be released in the US (in print) on April 30, 2013.

Good list. :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2013-03-19 11:52:26

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Thanks! Added "Diary of a Dragon" to the list.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2013-04-09 12:35:49

strangeshe
Hierarch

eta: well, technically, these were released in 2012, so maybe not for this list... :/
---

2 more for the list:

1. RIP-OFF! edited by Gardner Dozois (audio only; Audible audiobook) -- Tad's original story: ""Every Fuzzy Beast of the Earth, Every Pink Fowl of the Air" 

-- "As a bonus, the authors introduce their stories, explaining what they ripped-off - and why."

Audible.com: http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B00AFZO9PM
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Rip-Off/dp/B00AFZ31DS

2. EPIC anthology edited by John Joseph Adams -- all stories are reprints in this collection. Tad's "The Burning Man" is included.

webpage: http://www.johnjosephadams.com/epic/
with bonus free reads: http://www.johnjosephadams.com/epic/free-reads/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Epic-John-Joseph- … 1616960841

Last edited by strangeshe (2013-04-09 12:37:08)

#5 2013-04-09 12:44:48

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Maybe it would be useful to have a list of Tad`s short stories. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track of them and there have been quite a few in recent years. And not all of them have been collected in RITE and A STARK AND WORMY KNIGHT.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#6 2013-04-09 12:56:54

strangeshe
Hierarch

I agree. Working on that, too -- I've had a list from way, way back but it's somewhat out of date, and I'm quite sure I've missed some of the reprints.

I'll dig around a bit later and will post what I have currently; updating will have to come somewhat after -- but anyone who wants to post updates/corrections is certainly welcome!

Right now I'm sort of all over the place, juggling details of the books & stories for a mini-database/table thingy, as well as new/revamped pages -- well, actually Custom Post Types (which are being planned/designed now) and their landing pages (for "Series", "Novels", etc.). Then there's a Cover Art Gallery revisit (gallery page formatting as well as image management). And a scramble to make sure I have all the edition details, all countries.

It's a Gordian Knot with no sword in sight. :/

#7 2013-04-09 15:42:45

Olaf
Mantis
Website

It is quite fascinating how difficult it already is to research the publication history of an author who has been published (only) for  the last 25-30 years. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#8 2013-04-09 17:08:09

strangeshe
Hierarch

Thanks :) I'll likely take you up on that! (But will get slightly more organized first ;)

#9 2013-04-18 11:55:52

strangeshe
Hierarch

BTW, Olaf, I'm going to shamelessly steal from your hard work for a page on the site -- and will credit you and your Collecting Tad Williams blog, of course. :)

Thank you for making my job easier!

#10 2013-04-20 00:18:58

Olaf
Mantis
Website

You are more than welcome to it.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#11 2013-04-21 13:19:48

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Update: two more audio books this year

Die dunklen Gassen des Himmels (The Dirty Streets of Heaven) German unabridged audiobook (read by Simon Jäger) 3mp3 CDs, Hörverlag: August.
http://www.randomhouse.de/Hoerbuch-MP3/ … 441333.rhd

Die Nornenkönigin (To Green Angel Tower Part one) German unabridged audiobook (read by Andreas Fröhlich) 4mp3 CDs, Hörverlag: October.
http://www.randomhouse.de/Hoerbuch-MP3/ … 429414.rhd

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#12 2013-04-24 11:46:22

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Update:

The Very Best of Tad Williams (March 2014) Tachyon Publications
New short story collection (probably a best of RITE and STARK AND WORMY KNIGHT) At least one brand-new story.

Previously collected in multi-author anthologies and limited hardcover editions, these superlative tales of dragons, super-soldiers, wizards, cyberpunks, heroes, and fools, are now available together for the first time in paperback. Showcasing the exhilarating breadth of Williams’ imagination, these stories hearken to the tales of such classic fantasists as J. R. R. Tolkien, Robert Jordan, Ray Bradbury, and Peter S. Beagle. Including an original tale written specifically for this volume, this career retrospective from one of the most-beloved authors of the genre is a true delight to those who have imagined themselves in fantastic worlds beyond the everyday and mundane.

http://www.amazon.de/Very-Best-Tad-Will … d+williams

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#13 2013-04-24 12:09:12

strangeshe
Hierarch

Interesting. Tachyon is John Joseph Adams' publ. co. based in San Francisco, but I don't find any reference to this anthol at amazon.com or on Tachyon's website or FB page. Of course the date is almost a year away, so perhaps too soon? Still, it's odd that there's already a cover and details for the English anthol on amazon.de....

I want to add this to the 'Forthcoming' post, but have been reigned-in recently on speaking too soon on a topic or two. Any more details?

#14 2013-04-24 12:45:16

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Nope. No more details to be found anywhere. After I discovered the listing on Amazon.de (which I usually check once a day), I did a quick search, but was unable to find any other mention of this. So, it was pretty much added to Amazon today. But if it is on Amazon, it will quickly find its way into all kinds of databases:-)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#15 2013-04-24 13:05:04

strangeshe
Hierarch

I sent a quick note to Tad & Deb asking if they'd confirm. May also send a query to Tachyon. Love the cover and that a new collection is coming, but don't want to get cart before horse again site-wise :/

#16 2013-04-24 14:21:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

It's been added to Amazon.ca, too. The cover looks really nice!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#17 2013-04-24 14:30:39

strangeshe
Hierarch

Cool, thanks! I didn't think to check Canada. Who would? *EG*

#18 2013-04-24 23:13:59

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Updated the first post with new info. Including the new collection, German audiobooks and new UK paperback listing.

Also, Deborah tweeted the Tachyon cover image, so I guess it`s official:-)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#19 2013-04-25 06:20:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Yes, I got her reply last night but didn't have a chance to post here (let alone on the blog). Will post an update today with all the new publication info.

Which, btw, there's another anthology coming in 2014 with a new Tad story -- DEAD MAN'S HAND: An Anthology of the Weird West (May 2014, Trade Paperback), -- also from John Joseph Adams: http://www.johnjosephadams.com/blog/201 … mans-hand/

Tad's story: "Medicine Dance, Arizona"

Also note that one of our Smarchers has a story in it too: "Second Hand" by Rajan Khanna (who used to go by Kehv here)

#20 2013-04-25 22:45:55

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Another update from Deborah about Spanish ed. of DIRTY STREET:

Las sucias calles del cielo (The Dirty Streets of Heaven) RBA Libros: June 2013. No other details yet.

http://www.literatura-fantastica.es/pro … unio-2013/

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#21 2013-04-25 23:13:00

Olaf
Mantis
Website

more Spanish news:

Shadowmarch. El juego de las sombras, 31 de mayo de 2013 (Shadowplay, May 2013)
Shadowmarch. El ascenso de las sombras, segundo semestre de 2013; (Shadowrise, second half of 2013)
Shadowmarch. El corazón de las sombras, primer semestre de 2014. (Shadowheart, first half of 2014)

http://www.laespadaenlatinta.com/2013/0 … lamut.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CmfxIKNnK8o/U … march2.jpg

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#22 2013-05-01 23:58:04

Olaf
Mantis
Website

First post now fully updated with latest news from Germany, Spain & new anthologies.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#23 2013-05-02 08:11:14

strangeshe
Hierarch

Awesome, Olaf, thank you. :)

I've copied your listing over to a "Note" on Tad's Facebook Page as well:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/tad-will … 9666192212

I'll also be adding a Note listing the eBooks (though that list likely needs updating, too).

I hope to be able to develop Tad's FB Page a little further, better formatting/images/etc., with tabs (or 'apps' as FB wants to insist) which look similar to the website. But that will require spending more time learning the FB App Developer stuff (which I've checked into, but haven't spent a lot of time on it yet). Soon.

#24 2013-05-05 00:23:21

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Two of the forthcoming listings are now somewhat dubious:

The announced unabridged audio of DER BLUMENKRIEG by audible.de has failed to materialize. And disappeared from preview listings. I have inquired at audible, but no reply yet.

Even more mysterious is ANGE IMPUR , the presumed French translation of TDSOH, in some listings it is now listed without Tad`s name attached to it. Pub dates also vary from June to July. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#25 2013-05-22 09:06:32

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Heard from Audible.de about DER BLUMENKRIEG.

They don`t know why the production has been cancelled since they were only going to distribute it. Tad`s longtime German audiopublishers, DER HÖRVERLAG, was going to produce it. I am going to inquire there, but since they are already doing several unabridged TW audiobooks this year (three MS&T plus Bobby Dollar), I imagine they might well wait till 2014 to do any more TW.

I also could not find any more information about the upcoming French Bobby Dollar translation, so I am deleting both entries from the list for now. Will update again, when something substantial comes up.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

Board footer