Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.


You are not logged in.

#26 2013-03-12 15:16:24

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13269

Re: Collections

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Yes.

Understood.

*clicks heels*


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#27 2013-03-13 06:24:58

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4904
Website

Re: Collections

Yeah...pics were taken with bad cell phone camera and I think sometime late in the evening without any natural light at all.


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#28 2013-03-13 20:07:11

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Collections

I do not have Tailchaser's Song.  Of MST, I have a full set in new trade paperback, as well as a hardcover of TGAT.  I used to have DBC and SoF in mass paperback but I gave those to someone (Libra, I think).  I have the Otherland series and Shadowmarch series in hardcover (Shadowmarch is signed), as well as War of Flowers, Child of an Anchient City, Caliban's Hour, Mirrorworld, Dragons of Ordinary Farm (signed by Tad & Deb) in hardcover.  Also, the Burning Man/The Wood Boy graphic novel, one issue of The Next, Rite and Legends.  Of DSoH, I have a signed ARC and hardcover.  All of mine are US edition, some of the hardcovers are first edition some are not.

ETA: I just checked, my Rite is a signed hardcover and I also have the Wizards anthology in hardcover.


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#29 2013-03-13 21:10:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

cyan wrote:

I do not have Tailchaser's Song.  Of MST, I have a full set in new trade paperback, as well as a hardcover of TGAT.  I used to have DBC and SoF in mass paperback but I gave those to someone (Libra, I think).  I have the Otherland series and Shadowmarch series in hardcover (Shadowmarch is signed), as well as War of Flowers, Child of an Anchient City, Caliban's Hour, Mirrorworld, Dragons of Ordinary Farm (signed by Tad & Deb) in hardcover.  Also, the Burning Man/The Wood Boy graphic novel, one issue of The Next, Rite and Legends.  Of DSoH, I have a signed ARC and hardcover.  All of mine are US edition, some of the hardcovers are first edition some are not.

ETA: I just checked, my Rite is a signed hardcover and I also have the Wizards anthology in hardcover.

Sounds like you have a quite nice collection, Cyan!


(BTW, I updated my list to include the new French MS&T books, which I just bought, and to fix some of the mistake in my original list).


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#30 2013-03-13 21:23:04

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Collections

Firs, you're the only other person I know of who owns a hardcover of Mirrorworld.  I should get mine signed.


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#31 2013-03-13 21:36:13

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

cyan wrote:

Firs, you're the only other person I know of who owns a hardcover of Mirrorworld.  I should get mine signed.

Totally!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#32 2013-03-13 21:44:31

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Collections

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

cyan wrote:

Firs, you're the only other person I know of who owns a hardcover of Mirrorworld.  I should get mine signed.

Totally!

Yeah, I've been thinking about which of my unsigned books to take with to Smarchmoot.  Clearly, it'd be wrong to show up at Tad & Deb's with all of them.  Maybe 2-3, no more than that, I think.


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#33 2013-03-13 21:53:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

cyan wrote:

Yeah, I've been thinking about which of my unsigned books to take with to Smarchmoot.  Clearly, it'd be wrong to show up at Tad & Deb's with all of them.  Maybe 2-3, no more than that, I think.

Oh... yeah. Yeah, I totally agree. Only a real jerk would ask for 50 signatures. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to re-pack my socks...

*runs and quickly unpacks giant suitcase with 50 unsigned Tad-books in it*


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#34 2013-03-13 21:57:13

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Collections

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

cyan wrote:

Yeah, I've been thinking about which of my unsigned books to take with to Smarchmoot.  Clearly, it'd be wrong to show up at Tad & Deb's with all of them.  Maybe 2-3, no more than that, I think.

Oh... yeah. Yeah, I totally agree. Only a real jerk would ask for 50 signatures. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to re-pack my socks...

*runs and quickly unpacks giant suitcase with 50 unsigned Tad-books in it*

LOL!


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#35 2013-03-13 22:06:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

So... no more than three books, eh? What if you have a four-book trilogy you need signed? Surely a trilogy counts as one book? And what about still-sealed comic book issues? Do comics count as separate books, or would a small stack of comics, when presented as a series, count as one?

I just ask hypothetically, of course.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#36 2013-03-13 22:18:13

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Collections

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

So... no more than three books, eh? What if you have a four-book trilogy you need signed? Surely a trilogy counts as one book? And what about still-sealed comic book issues? Do comics count as separate books, or would a small stack of comics, when presented as a series, count as one?

I'm going by typical signing event standards.  Maybe you get more leeway when Tad is not looking at a line of hundreds of people with stuff for him to sign?  I think you should get a pass for the still-sealed comic book issues if you're only un-sealing them for Tad to sign.  For me personally, and out of respect to Tad & Deb's generosity, I do not in any way want to seem to take advantage of the situation.


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#37 2013-03-13 22:30:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

cyan wrote:

I'm going by typical signing event standards.

Oh, right, of course. Totally. Everyone knows the standards for book signings. I mean, I never showed up with a huge stack of un-signed Tad-books in summer of 1999 in Phoenix. Not me! I totally followed the Rule of Three, yes siree. Anyone in the know, like you and me, would follow proper decorum, of course...

Maybe you get more leeway when Tad is not looking at a line of hundreds of people with stuff for him to sign?  I think you should get a pass for the still-sealed comic book issues if you're only un-sealing them for Tad to sign.  For me personally, and out of respect to Tad & Deb's generosity, I do not in any way want to seem to take advantage of the situation.

Oh, yes! Same here. I was just asking for a friend, you see. That's why I asked. Purely hypothetical.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#38 2013-03-13 22:50:38

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Collections

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

cyan wrote:

I'm going by typical signing event standards.

Oh, right, of course. Totally. Everyone knows the standards for book signings. I mean, I never showed up with a huge stack of un-signed Tad-books in summer of 1999 in Phoenix. Not me! I totally followed the Rule of Three, yes siree. Anyone in the know, like you and me, would follow proper decorum, of course...

Okay, now it must be asked: how many books did you have Tad sign in Phoenix 1999?

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that Tad would be happy to sign whatever you bring.  But I also know that Tad (and Deb) enjoys just hanging out with their peeps - real interaction and conversation as opposed to 'doing the author thing'.  I've always kept signing request to official signing events, and social events purely social.  But this time, since I've not seen either of them in a few (3? not since WFC San Jose) years, I'm going to cross the streams.


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#39 2013-03-13 22:52:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

Speaking of Mirror World, Cyan, do you have the one with the purple cover or the weird blue version?


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#40 2013-03-13 23:05:51

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Collections

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Speaking of Mirror World, Cyan, do you have the one with the purple cover or the weird blue version?

I have the purple cover version, Tad's name is in gold foil, and the background behind Dancer within the stone-arch-thing features silver foil.  That part of the cover reminds me a lot of the composition of the SoF cover.  It's a beautifully done book.


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#41 2013-03-13 23:23:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

cyan wrote:

Okay, now it must be asked: how many books did you have Tad sign in Phoenix 1999?

I told you: just the three. I knew the proper book signing etiquette.




Alright, alright. I went to the '99 Phoenix booksigning with a stack about this size. In my defense, however, the lady said it would be okay, as long as I was at the end of the line with "the other book dealers" (I wasn't a book dealer, but I wasn't going to argue the point with her, since she was gracious enough to allow it).

Also in my defense, I was purchasing a number of Tad-books at the signing, including Mirror World, River of Blue Fire, and Mountain of Black Glass. Tad also graciously signed my copies of Tailchaser's Song, Caliban's Hour, Child of an Ancient City, The Dragonbone Chair, Stone of Farewell, TGAT1, TGAT2, TGAT hardcover, City of Golden Shadow, and Legends volume 1 (DBC and SOF were subsequently borrowed and never returned). So, the total was only 13 books, although it seemed like more because some of them (*cough* TGAT *cough*) are really thick.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that Tad would be happy to sign whatever you bring.  But I also know that Tad (and Deb) enjoys just hanging out with their peeps - real interaction and conversation as opposed to 'doing the author thing'.  I've always kept signing request to official signing events, and social events purely social.  But this time, since I've not seen either of them in a few (3? not since WFC San Jose) years, I'm going to cross the streams.

Okay, three books it is. I'm going to make one of mine Ordinary Farm so Deb has plenty to sign, too.

As for the others... maybe the Finnish DBC and the German Burning Man? Tad probably doesn't get much of a chance to sign those, so it will be less boring for him.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#42 2013-03-13 23:25:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

cyan wrote:

I have the purple cover version, Tad's name is in gold foil, and the background behind Dancer within the stone-arch-thing features silver foil.  That part of the cover reminds me a lot of the composition of the SoF cover.  It's a beautifully done book.

That's the one I have, too.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#43 2013-03-13 23:38:59

cyan
Mantis
From: Magic Loft of Design & Wonder
Registered: 2005-02-16
Posts: 26870

Re: Collections

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I'm going to make one of mine Ordinary Farm so Deb has plenty to sign, too.

Oh yes, do bring Ordinary Farm for Deb to sign.


"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

 

#44 2013-03-14 02:11:31

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13269

Re: Collections

I brought a huge pile of books to a reading ages ago but decided not to do that again last november.

However I don't think you need to worry too much - I never got the impression Tad minded signing his books.

And now to something completely different: what is Mirror World. can it be true that there is a Tadbook that slipped by my attention????


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#45 2013-03-14 02:44:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

ylvs wrote:

I brought a huge pile of books to a reading ages ago but decided not to do that again last november.

However I don't think you need to worry too much - I never got the impression Tad minded signing his books.

Okay, I'm getting different advice here...

And now to something completely different: what is Mirror World. can it be true that there is a Tadbook that slipped by my attention????

Yes and no. Mirror World was an aborted comic book project, written by Tad, in the mid/late-1990s. However, the publisher went out of business after just two issues (#0 and #1) had been released. A novel spin-off appeared under the title Tad Williams' Mirror World. Ironically, the novel wasn't written by Tad, but bears his name. My understanding is that the stories in it were approved by him, but the content of the novel was other authors' work.

So, it's definitely worth having for the collection, but it's not primarily Tad's work, despite the title. (If you get it, see if you can get the weird version with the blue cover; I've never seen that IRL. Everyone I've ever met that has it, has the purple cover).

(Original comments from Tad can be found here).

Last edited by Firsfron of Ronchester (2013-03-14 03:44:07)


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#46 2013-03-14 03:47:50

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4904
Website

Re: Collections

I don`t have Tad Williams`s Mirrorworld, but I do have the two issues of the comic book that it is based on. I always wanted to have a copy of the book myself, but I always wondered wether it was really worth it. Is it worth it?


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#47 2013-03-14 03:54:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

Olaf wrote:

I don`t have Tad Williams`s Mirrorworld, but I do have the two issues of the comic book that it is based on. I always wanted to have a copy of the book myself, but I always wondered wether it was really worth it. Is it worth it?

Yes. Beautiful cover, lavishly illustrated, neat concept. And you can buy it on e-bay for as little as $7.00 bucks (plus shipping). Or a signed copy for $24.00.

(I just bought the blue copy on e-bay, which was $3.37+$3.99 shipping).

Last edited by Firsfron of Ronchester (2013-03-14 03:56:29)


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#48 2013-03-14 15:19:49

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4904
Website

Re: Collections

So, I must. Buy. It.

Sigh.


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#49 2013-03-14 15:30:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23103
Website

Re: Collections

Olaf wrote:

So, I must. Buy. It.

Sigh.

LOL! When you say it, Olaf, it sounds like such a chore!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#50 2013-03-14 17:12:00

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13269

Re: Collections

If you so desperately want it Olaf, maybe Firs could buy it bring it to SF, I get it signed bring it back to Germany and send it to you.

Sounds like a neat plan to me.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB