Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-09 13:58:43

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Nina Kiriki Hoffman

I'll be meeting her (and De Lint) shortly.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2013-03-09 15:35:08

ylvs
Mantis

Re: Nina Kiriki Hoffman

*is impressed*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#3 2013-03-10 14:45:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

So yesterday, at the Tucson Festival of Books at the University of Arizona, I did meet Nina Kiriki Hoffman and Charles de Lint. The festival had a lot of other SF/F authors (among them David Brin, Nancy Holder, Jennifer Roberson), but I didn't meet them, having not read their books.

Nina and Charles (and Nancy Holder and two others) were scheduled to speak in the seminar about "writing YA SF/F", so it was a good opportunity to see them both. I was a bit embarrassed that the venue they were given wasn't great: chairs for five people at a table only wide enough for four speakers? And two hand-held microphones for five authors? Seriously? Last year's panel with Terry Brooks and a similar number of authors was much better technically, with one mic per guest. But whatever.

During the Q&A part of the panel, I did ask Nina about her collaboration with Tad, Child of an Ancient City, how that came about, and what the writing process was like. I also asked how she was able to blend in her parts with Tad's so seamlessly. This is what she said (paraphrased):

"Tad had written a short story for [horror/SciFi anthology magazine] Weird Tales, and the editor of the magazine, [name here], wanted Tad to expand it to a full-length novel. Tad was writing The Trilogy at the time, and didn't have time to do it. So they asked me to expand it. I added, I think, three new characters to the story to make it longer. Then Tad took the manuscript and smoothed it out and we went back and forth for a while.

"Tad had the final say, of course, and then it was published."

Later, at the book signing, I asked her which three characters were her additions, and she said she didn't really remember. She thought it was the kid and the female character (and one other character), but couldn't exactly remember because it was over 20 years ago.

She also said that they communicated almost exclusively via e-mail because Tad was in San Francisco and she lives in Oregon, although they did meet in person once or twice. She said in those days, she was on GEnie, and the Internet was very, very different.

Unfortunately, through some bungle, the Festival had no copies of any of Ms. Hoffman's books (and I forgot to bring my copy of COAIC), so she had absolutely nothing to sign at the book signing, but she was funny and told some stories, and shook my hand.

Charles de Lint was also very gracious and nice. They didn't mention the crappy venue they were given (UofA can, and has, done so much better during past SF/F seminars), and everyone had a really good sense of humor during the presentation.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2013-03-10 14:55:30

ylvs
Mantis

I said: report in the Mint ... tsk tsk tsk ... you missed my huggle trap *pouts*

Good report, too bad you forgot to bring your book. Remember better when coming to SF - how heavy is your suitcase allowed to be? *grins*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#5 2013-03-10 14:59:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

I said: report in the Mint ... tsk tsk tsk ... you missed my huggle trap *pouts*

No, I got caught in the huggle trap!

Good report, too bad you forgot to bring your book. Remember better when coming to SF - how heavy is your suitcase allowed to be? *grins*

Luckily, many of my Tad-books are already signed. Only the ones written after 1999 remain unsigned.

#6 2013-03-10 15:03:17

ylvs
Mantis

Well that's all of Smarch, Odfarm, BD, Rite and the shortstory anthology - still some weight...

Scrollbearer

#7 2013-03-10 15:17:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Well that's all of Smarch, Odfarm, BD, Rite and the shortstory anthology - still some weight...

...and the Burning Man graphic novel, Legends 2, the Burning Man German edition, MS&T Finnish edition, the MS&T Trade Paperback Editions of 2005, and the Legend/Orbit British editions of MS&T (which came out before 1999, but which I didn't have at the time). And some other odds and ends...

#8 2013-03-10 15:22:32

ylvs
Mantis

See!

I'm now thinking about bringing A Stark And Wormy Knight - such a beautiful book should not remain unsigned ...

Scrollbearer

#9 2013-03-10 15:28:46

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

See!

I'm now thinking about bringing A Stark And Wormy Knight - such a beautiful book should not remain unsigned ...

You have everything else already signed? What about your ABA pre-print Dragonbone Chair, your US Bobby Dollar hardcover, your Legends paperbacks, and your Caliban's Hour green edition?

#10 2013-03-10 15:35:18

ylvs
Mantis

I have to admit not owning all the legend anthologies,my BD hard cover is currently in Munich because I lent it to a friend and I don't even know what a ABA preprint DBC might be ... but the Caliban's Hour hard cover is already signed and the rest as well ...

Scrollbearer

#11 2013-03-10 15:36:53

ylvs
Mantis

I bought the first edition of Caliban's Hour on amazon market place for 2$ when I visited CA for the first time - best book bargain ever!

Scrollbearer

#12 2013-03-10 15:38:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

the Caliban's Hour hard cover is already signed and the rest as well ...

But do you have the green edition or the red hardcover?

#13 2013-03-10 15:40:25

ylvs
Mantis

Green. At least that's the colour of the dust sleeve. Is there a red one as well?

Scrollbearer

#14 2013-03-10 15:52:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Green. At least that's the colour of the dust sleeve. Is there a red one as well?

Yes. In both paperback and hardcover. There's also a COAIC mass-market paperback (in addition to the trade paperback), and weird, non-standard editions of many of the other books. SOF/TGAT with the purple back covers, and all those crazy translations.

#15 2013-03-10 15:55:59

ylvs
Mantis

I bet Olaf has them all.

Scrollbearer

#16 2013-03-10 16:35:14

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Nope...but I wish I had:-)

Of Caliban`s Hour I only have the UK hc, the UK paperback, the first German pb, the German hc re-release (in new translation), the second German pb and the Ron Perlman read US audiobook and audio cassette.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#17 2013-03-11 03:38:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

Nope...but I wish I had:-)

Of Caliban`s Hour I only have the UK hc, the UK paperback, the first German pb, the German hc re-release (in new translation), the second German pb and the Ron Perlman read US audiobook and audio cassette.

I've started a discussion on TW collections here. Let's discuss your collections there, shall we? I'm curious to see what other fans have collected over the years.

Board footer