Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-03 17:05:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

!!!! MS&T RE-READ THREAD INDEX !!!!

For those of us (like me) who would like a centralized index for the "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Re-read" Threads, which are not in any order on the board.

SPOILER WARNING
This is a REread, so things that give away the ending might be discussed in every one of these threads.
Do not read if you haven't finished reading "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn"!

Original proposal, made April 1st, 2005. Despite the date, it was not a joke.

The Dragonbone Chair
(Was originally re-read between April 16th, 2005 and August 16, 2005; later, new comments were added to the discussion)

Week 1 DBC ch. 1-3 and MST3R week 1
Week 2 DBC ch. 4-6
Week 3 DCB ch. 7-9
Week 4 DBC ch. 10-12
Week 5 DBC ch. 13-15
Week 6 DBC ch. 16-18
Week 7 DBC ch. 19-21
Week 8 DBC ch. 22-24
Week 9 DBC ch. 25-27
Week 10 DBC ch. 28-30
Week 11 DBC ch. 31-33
Week 12 DBC ch. 34-36
Week 13 DBC ch. 37-39
Week 14 DBC ch. 40-42
Week 15 DBC ch. 43-44

Stone of Farewell
(Was originally re-read between August 20, 2005 and December 1st, 2005; more comments were later added)

Week 16 SOF ch. 1 & 2
Week 17 SOF ch. 3-5
Week 18 SOF ch. 6-8
Week 19 SOF ch. 9-11
Week 20 SOF ch. 12-14
Week 21 SOF ch. 15-17
Week 22 SOF ch. 18-20
Week 23 SOF ch. 21-23
Week 24 SOF ch. 24-26
Week 25 SOF ch. 27-28+ Appen.

To Green Angel Tower
(Was re-read between November 20, 2005 and December 26, 2006; later comments were also made)

Week 26 TGAT Fwd, Syn. + ch. 1
Week 27 TGAT ch. 2-4
Week 28 TGAT ch. 5-7
Week 29 TGAT ch. 8-10
Week 30 TGAT ch. 11-13
Week 31 TGAT ch. 14-16
Week 32 TGAT ch. 17-19
Week 33 TGAT ch. 20-22
Week 34 TGAT ch. 23-25
Week 35 TGAT ch. 26-28 (ch. 26 and ch. 1-2 for two-volume editions)
Week 36 TGAT ch. 29-31 (ch. 3-5)
Week 37 TGAT ch. 32-34 (ch. 6-8)
Week 38 TGAT ch. 35-37 (ch. 9-11)
Week 39 TGAT ch. 38-40 (ch. 12-14)
Week 40 TGAT ch. 41-43 (ch. 15-17)
Week 41 TGAT ch. 44-46 (ch. 18-20)
Week 42 TGAT ch. 47-49 (ch. 21-23)
Week 43 TGAT ch. 50-52 (ch. 24-26)
Week 44 TGAT ch. 53-55 (ch. 27-29)
Week 45 TGAT ch. 56-58 (ch. 30-32)
Week 46 TGAT ch. 59-60 (ch. 33-34)+Appen.

The Burning Man
(Was re-read in April 2008 and again in April/May 2014)

Week 1 (p. 397-414)
Week 2 (p. 414-435)
Week 3 (p. 435-4XX)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2013-03-03 22:21:42

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Re: !!!! MS&T RE-READ THREAD INDEX !!!!

Great idea. I had to search a lot before I found the right topics (until Magpie started her reread).

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#3 2013-03-03 22:58:16

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Thanks, Firs. I was thinking of doing the same - was collecting the links while reading the threads. I guess I can stop that now.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#4 2013-03-03 23:20:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Great idea. I had to search a lot before I found the right topics (until Magpie started her reread).

Yeah, I found myself searching for threads and couldn't ever seem to find the right ones. This is much more organized. I also pinned this to the top of the forum so it can't be lost easily, either.

Magpie wrote:

Thanks, Firs. I was thinking of doing the same - was collecting the links while reading the threads. I guess I can stop that now.

Great minds think alike! :) Also, if you spot any errors, feel free to let me know, or just edit it in yourself. I did it quite quickly, and mistakes are bound to happen.

(BTW, I decided to add brief discussion summaries, for quicker retrieval of previous discussion threads. If we each do a few, we can have them done pretty quickly).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2013-03-04 09:55:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Let me finish reading first! ;) (And catch up with all the things in my life that were neglected while I was stuck in Osten Ard.)

One thing that I was thinking of adding is the chapter numbers for two-volume editions of TGAT - for me, week 35 is chapters 26 - 2, and so on, so that's always a bit confusing.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#6 2013-03-04 10:01:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Good suggestion!

#7 2013-03-04 10:09:31

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Done!

- Tad

#8 2013-03-06 14:02:18

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firs, I've also added a spoiler warning to the opening post. The ones in the thread titles are easy to miss when following a link.

(Also, when I first registered here, I had no idea what "spoiler" meant. I was so confused by those spoiler gaps and spoiler bumps! *laughs*)

About the thread summaries, I think it might be a good idea to have a separate list for these. Because if you already know which chapters/thread you're looking for, it's going to be kind of annoying to scroll through all those summaries.

- Tad

#9 2013-03-10 12:51:58

ylvs
Mantis

Completely missed this thread so far.

Brilliant idea, well done!

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#10 2013-03-12 03:02:55

JustCharlotte
Pilgrim

Wow!  It's been so long since I last visited this site.  It took me the longest time to work out what my password was....

Thanks so much for the invite Firsfron, I apologise for the slow response.  I've just spent a few happy minutes reminiscing over the re-read and some of the memorable comments we made. We did some really good stuff with the re-read, makes me proud!

I haven't got anything else to comment on at the moment, but since it seems the re-read has been resurrected, I'll take my time and look at the new posts.  MST is my favourite series of all time and I'm sure I've got more to say about it yet!

*waves hello*

#11 2013-03-12 04:51:06

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I am also looking forward to using this thread, when I start my journey into Osten Ard once more with the new German audio books read by Andreas Fröhllich. But I STILL have to finish at least one other audio books before that can happen. But soon....

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#12 2013-03-12 14:08:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

JustCharlotte wrote:

Wow!  It's been so long since I last visited this site.  It took me the longest time to work out what my password was....

CHARLOTTE!!!!! So good to see you! :) :) :)

Thanks so much for the invite Firsfron, I apologise for the slow response.

No need to apologize, just good to see your name pop up unexpectedly. :)

I've just spent a few happy minutes reminiscing over the re-read and some of the memorable comments we made. We did some really good stuff with the re-read, makes me proud!

Yeah! Same here.

I haven't got anything else to comment on at the moment, but since it seems the re-read has been resurrected, I'll take my time and look at the new posts.  MST is my favourite series of all time and I'm sure I've got more to say about it yet!

Yeah, Magpie and Kenan recently re-read the series, so they wrote a lot of new comments, and I had to respond to a couple of them myself. I'd love to see your thoughts on what they wrote.

#13 2013-03-12 14:15:24

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

I am also looking forward to using this thread, when I start my journey into Osten Ard once more with the new German audio books read by Andreas Fröhllich. But I STILL have to finish at least one other audio books before that can happen. But soon....

It would be interesting to read comments on non-English editions and audio books. We hadn't really done that during the re-read: everyone was reading the original English edition. Which probably kept things less confusing, but doesn't take into account any translations.

#14 2013-03-12 15:34:13

ylvs
Mantis

Charlotte! Great to see you!!!

It's really wonderful seeing people reappear thanks to Firsfron's poking.

And I do very much like the idea that our reread threads grow and this is becoming an ongoing thing. This index is tremendously helpful.

I'm rereading MST as well at the moment but are incredibly slow due to so much other stuff (loads of smarching being one of them).

I listen to the audio book as well (mixing reading and listening) and am surprised how much I like it. The language is much better than I remember - I thought the translation was quite bad whenI read it 20 years ago and am now surprised about the quality. I wonder whether revisions were done for the new edition (new publisher). Do you know Olaf?

I don't get used to Binabik voice though. He is read with a kind of slavic accent which keeps irritating me ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#15 2013-03-12 15:57:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

I don't get used to Binabik voice though. He is read with a kind of slavic accent which keeps irritating me ...

*tries to imagine this*

"In Soviet Yiqanuc, if bears eat you, it is home!"

#16 2013-03-12 16:00:13

ylvs
Mantis

*giggles*

I'll show you in two weeks.

Scrollbearer

#17 2013-03-12 16:55:08

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

ylvs wrote:

*tries to imagine this*

"In Soviet Yiqanuc, if bears eat you, it is home!"

Hahahahaha!
Damn, that was one of my favourite quotes, and now I'll have to laugh every time I think of it!

Also, since ylvs has asked for it, and I think Firs has as well:
MST review on my blog
I'm still always ridiculously nervous about posting book reviews, especially of books I really love... I can't really explain why, but it makes writing them take about five times as long as it should.

- Tad

#18 2013-03-12 19:58:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

*giggles*

I'll show you in two weeks.

Sounds like a plan!

Magpie wrote:

Hahahahaha!
Damn, that was one of my favourite quotes, and now I'll have to laugh every time I think of it!

Tad said something similar to me back in 1997, when I told him that Ostrael Firsframson resembled the squeaky-voiced teenager on The Simpsons.

Also, since ylvs has asked for it, and I think Firs has as well:
MST review on my blog
I'm still always ridiculously nervous about posting book reviews, especially of books I really love... I can't really explain why, but it makes writing them take about five times as long as it should.

Nice review! :)

#19 2013-03-13 06:21:32

Olaf
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

I listen to the audio book as well (mixing reading and listening) and am surprised how much I like it. The language is much better than I remember - I thought the translation was quite bad whenI read it 20 years ago and am now surprised about the quality. I wonder whether revisions were done for the new edition (new publisher). Do you know Olaf?

I have not found many changes in the revised translation, but one is very early in the preliminary material (Author´s Warning)

original:
"...for they often mask BEEING with SEEMING"

original translation:
"...denn oft verlarvt der SCHEIN das SEIN"

revised translation:
"...denn oft verfüllt der SCHEIN das SEIN"

This is only a small change, but makes the text clearer and less....old-fashioned...if that makes any sense. However, I have never read the revised translations in their entirety. Always use my old ones...

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#20 2013-03-13 07:01:52

ylvs
Mantis

Olaf wrote:

ylvs wrote:

I have not found many changes in the revised translation, but one is very early in the preliminary material (Author´s Warning)

original:
"...for they often mask BEEING with SEEMING"

original translation:
"...denn oft verlarvt der SCHEIN das SEIN"

revised translation:
"...denn oft verfüllt der SCHEIN das SEIN"

This is only a small change, but makes the text clearer and less....old-fashioned...if that makes any sense. However, I have never read the revised translations in their entirety. Always use my old ones...

To be honest Olaf they both make no sense ...

*giggles evilly*

verlarven?

verfüllen?

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Very funny typos

Scrollbearer

#21 2013-03-13 07:37:14

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Oh dear...

"verlarvt" is correct, but the second is "verhüllt" rather than "verfüllt"...

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#22 2013-07-08 15:02:29

ylvs
Mantis

Olaf wrote:

Oh dear...

"verlarvt" is correct, but the second is "verhüllt" rather than "verfüllt"...

Ok, that makes sense.

Scrollbearer

#23 2014-04-04 16:17:14

strangeshe
Hierarch

*wrenches topic away from trademark Smarch silliness -- temporarily*

Just wanted to thank you, Firsfron, for putting this index together. Very helpful!!

Okay, back to flying monkey chaos!

#24 2014-04-04 16:25:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yeah, I think it may come in handy for people fairly soon! :)

#25 2014-04-04 16:46:07

strangeshe
Hierarch

Especially because I'm linking to it on the site book pages (under construction/revision which is why they're not there now; s/b ready & online shortly though)

AND I've seen it mentioned/linked from other blogs, too. So there's interest!

Okay back to the hamster wheel....

Board footer