Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-03-25 01:28:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Tourist map of San Judas

Auros wrote:

Oh, and another possibility for the Order of Islanders would be that there's another of those Independent Order of Odd Fellows lodges in Mountain View, on Castro St.

There may be others around, too.

It actually kinda sounded to me, in the book, like that location was being placed someplace further south, maybe somewhere around downtown San Jose.  But it's pretty hard to tell for sure.

Oh, and the pig farm could be anywhere out in the boonies west of Interstate 280.  There are a lot of gorgeous hiking trails out there, especially at Big Basin.  I've also gone up to Monte Bello Open Space Preserve at night for stargazing.

Also, while there is a real Shoreline Park, its shoreline is on the Bay, facing east.  To see sunset, you'd want to go out to the end of either 92 or 84, both of which end near public beaches.

Auros, if you see definite problems with the Google Maps outline I've made, please let me know so I can update the map before the Tour. :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2013-03-26 12:00:12

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Auros, if you see definite problems with the Google Maps outline I've made, please let me know so I can update the map before the Tour. :)

I don't see anything I could definitively say is wrong...

I'll remark that one of my favorite parts of Skyline Ridge is the Monte Bello Open Space Preserve.  It's quite lovely.  Groups reserve the parking lot there for night-time stargazing, b/c the way the hills are structured, that area is kind of shaded from getting too much direct light from the cities down on the flats by the Bay.  Technically you're not supposed to go in at night if you haven't reserved, but it's quite possible to simply pull off and park on the side of the road, and hop the fence; I've never gotten in trouble for it.  Nor have I ever smelled any pig farms...  One of my earliest dates with Christa was going up to watch meteors from there. :-)

What was 4442 E Charleston?

I kinda feel like there ought to be something down in the Downtown San Jose area.

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#28 2013-03-26 12:07:24

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

What was 4442 E Charleston?

An address that Bobby mentions after visiting the park. I forget the exact reference, as I don't have the book in front of me. It's actually a Google office building IRL!

I kinda feel like there ought to be something down in the Downtown San Jose area.

Well, I had the Hall of Justice located in San Jose. But Jeremy said above that it should be the Redwood City Hall of Justice, not the one in San Jose. Jeremy thought San Judas doesn't extend down as far as San Jose:

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

Note that the San Judas Hall of Justice corresponds to the San Mateo County Hall of Justice in Redwood City rather than the Santa Clara Hall of Justice. San Judas does not appear to extend south of Mountain View (aka "the Miramonte District").

Since Jeremy and you know the area and I do not, I will have to defer to your best judgements. Jeremy and you seem to disagree on this point, so I don't know what to do. However, I will say that all of the other locations are fairly close together, and San Jose isn't really very close to the other spots, so placing the Hall of Justice at the San Mateo/Redwood city Hall of Justice did seem to make more sense.

But if others familiar with the area have ideas, I'll defer to that.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#29 2013-03-26 12:31:48

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Jeremy said above that it should be the Redwood City Hall of Justice, not the one in San Jose. Jeremy thought San Judas doesn't extend down as far as San Jose:

Huh.  I didn't read that closely, but I definitely thought San Judas was supposed to have started with the settlement that in the real world became San Jose, but then beat out Oakland to become the second major port city on the Bay, and grew to absorb everything north through San Mateo (maybe even a bit further), and possibly somewhat out east into Alviso and Milpitas.

I took the Docks area to be on the south tip of the Bay, around Alviso, though it's also possible it could be in the area that in the real world is the salt flats, where Cargill used to produce sea salt from the baywater.  Cargill decided to stop using the facilities there, but you can't really use the land for anything else, nor can you just let the land be reclaimed immediately by the Bay, b/c the amount of salt accumulated in the soil is kind of terrifying.  They're very gradually remediating it.  There's an even larger field of salt flats on the east side of the Bay, which I think may still be in use.

Really the only way to settle these questions is to get the official map from the Dog Himself.

Last edited by Auros (2013-03-26 12:43:25)

#30 2013-03-26 12:34:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

Really the only way to settle these questions is to get the official map from the Dog Himself.

Sounds like a plan. When we meet with Tad, we'll need to stress the 'map' angle.

#31 2013-03-26 15:12:48

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

May I politely suggest that it'd be nice if the topics related to the Moot didn't have clutter posts interfering with easily finding info that will help people find each other?

Also, I subscribe on the related topics, so I'm getting emails from your AT war. :-P

#32 2013-03-27 15:13:58

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

*deletes all AT-spam*

People, please pay attention to Auros' request above.

NO AT-SPAM here

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#33 2014-01-26 23:38:34

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

So, a while ago I had posted some photos of the Oracle campus' glass towers, and their conference center, which were my mental model for the hotel and conference center in Happy Hour.  I live just on the other side of the slough from those towers, and have long noted that there's a super-murder of crows that flies over us, and goes to roost at Oracel every evening.  Here's an article about it, with photos.

The experience of being present for their arrival is not unlike the scenes with gazillions of crows in Nightwatch.  I figure they're probably manifestations of some kind of demon lord.

Last edited by Auros (2014-01-26 23:41:59)

#34 2015-05-27 00:34:10

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Did everybody but me know about this already, and I just somehow missed it for years?

Welcome to the Robert Dollar Building.

(I discovered that this exists while decluttering my Ingress inventory, recycling equipment I didn't really need. Apparently the historic building has a portal, and I picked up a key to it while hacking from the bus on the ride from CalTrain to the office.)

#35 2015-05-27 02:15:06

ylvs
Mantis

I didn't. Awesome.
I hope you already put it on Tad's faceborg wall. If not ... hurry.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#36 2015-05-27 02:56:44

Ostrael Firsfronson
Pilgrim

Wow! Neat find, Auros!

#37 2015-05-27 10:16:58

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Feel free to post it. (You can always h/t me -- we're friends, right? So if you write @Auros, it should let you tag me.)

#38 2015-05-27 14:35:13

ylvs
Mantis

I am not on faceborg anymore ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

Board footer